Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 163759 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1755 on: August 05, 2015, 01:08:40 pm »

We don't exactly have much in the way of off-world laboratories. And compared to grey-goo scenarios and suchlike, this was deemed to be a "safe enough" experiment - I mean, last time it only destroyed a building! As far as Anton remembers, anyway.

I still wonder what's going to happen this time. Technically it could be anything.

edit: Safety precautions consisted of being able to cut power on command and being away from most of the important Heph facilities. There wasn't any IC reason to think that something more destructive than a nuke-like explosion could happen, given that the experiment was basically chasing an old memory and the experimenter survived despite being present in the same room as the device.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 01:13:26 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: August 05, 2015, 01:12:38 pm »

Insufficient preparations and bad risk assesment, then? Or just too impatient to see the big kabooms go off?  :P

Hell, why not do it on a small spaceship somewhere far away in the Hep system? How big is this thing?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: August 05, 2015, 01:17:07 pm »

There was no reason to think it would be terribly destructive. Putting it out on a ship would have been an option, but, IC, given the nature of the premise, would have made following the results problematic. Bad risk assessment is one way to put it, but like I said, it's based on a memory in which the experimenter survived the device exploding in the same room as he. Whatever happened this time, was way off the probability charts as far as the underlying theory of the experiment is concerned.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1758 on: August 05, 2015, 01:22:36 pm »

Nah, come on, nothing fun has happened on Hephaestus for a while. Nothing like a little portal to hell suddenly opening up to spice things up.

I mean, we know the universe is changing and that certain configurations of matter or energy can produce strange results via new laws of physics. And this experiment was meant to brute-froce test random energy patterns until it got an interesting result. Which means that absolutely anything could had happened. It could be a overload-like explosion or the creation of a portal or anomaly or a sentient energy being or self-replicating cubes or... anything, really. Piecewise could take all his roll tables (like the ones he uses for overloads) and roll on them to determine the result or do some other fun thing.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: August 05, 2015, 02:50:20 pm »

More fun stuff could happen if Hep updated a bit more; I mean, I'd like to interact with the glowworm gun, but there are other things that are more pressing right now, so they need to be done first, and right now Hep updates once a week, if that.

Stat wise? Nothing. Just that it would just be able to lift twice as much in game.

@Paris: there you go.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 02:57:51 pm by Radio Controlled »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: August 05, 2015, 04:43:27 pm »

We don't exactly have much in the way of off-world laboratories.
Well, duh, of course! Who ever cares about the AL having been completed a while ago, with M21 start! [/sarcasm]
Apocalypse Lab took too long to build.

Blame whoever said Anton didn't need a High Energy Research lab way back when. :P
Like, suggesting it construction the very first thing ever upon arrival on Hephaestus? Because, you know, I totally did offer and provide the High Energy Research lab! :P

Anyway, nope, I'm not worried; blast away the whole of Hephaestus, if you wish, Apocalypse Lab should have the minimal docking facilities by virtue of being that far and isolated, so M21 would still have somewhere to return. We (=public knowledge) might even learn something about the Doctor's true nature. I wouldn't even be too unhappy about artifact destruction - orange goo cube should have been shipped to AL by now, and for the rest we could simply arrange reasonable compensation (from the team fund or Hephaestus armory, when it gets rebuilt).

I dare you harming Simus in any bit, though. I bloody dare you. I Altered-bloody dare you.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: August 05, 2015, 04:56:43 pm »

In some small sense I'm kinda glad my insurance policy is no longer on Heph.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: August 06, 2015, 04:25:35 am »

I wonder. Should I wait to respond to the Ice-Nine: Ice-Niner incident until the dialogue between Miya and Leo resolves? I wouldn't want Leo to pass up the chance to become a victim of Anton's new SCIENCE! :P

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: August 06, 2015, 04:28:04 am »

It seems that Charles is being haunted by Ice-9. First there was Mission 10, then there was the Reliving the Past Fangame, and now, this.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: August 06, 2015, 05:35:45 am »

Yeah, let's assume that happens at another time for convenience, unless anyone objects.

Also, I like to imagine this is how Hep works at times: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: August 06, 2015, 05:39:16 am »

Also, RC, I think it's your turn?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: August 06, 2015, 06:18:33 am »

Phone-posting with spotty internet, but I think the connection should be more stable now.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: August 06, 2015, 06:20:54 am »

Ahh, no worries then.  I'll be patient.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1768 on: August 06, 2015, 12:47:28 pm »

The Hephaestus command centre is built in a semi-isolated anomaly. Maybe you could somehow channel it in it?

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: August 06, 2015, 06:11:26 pm »

I find it funny that the Doc casually mentions 'universes' in the same way someone might say a countries's name.
I wonder if this Doc is an alternate universe one and the Doc from our universe was executed.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 155