Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 163754 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1710 on: July 16, 2015, 11:40:46 pm »

So over IRC PW said I could invent AP rounds for the Brisent! Uses aerodynamic fins to keep pointed forwards in flight, uses a molten metal penetrator or something I don't quite understand, and cost one foe one token.

So Council, Balance!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: July 16, 2015, 11:46:53 pm »

Also, PW might switch to phone sex hotline style for tinker from now on. Pay $2.99 for 10 minutes of tinker :P
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: July 16, 2015, 11:47:16 pm »

Hooray!
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: July 17, 2015, 04:40:50 am »

So over IRC PW said I could invent AP rounds for the Brisent! Uses aerodynamic fins to keep pointed forwards in flight, uses a molten metal penetrator or something I don't quite understand, and cost one foe one token.

So Council, Balance!
So... not hand-throwable? Okay...
And - 1 per token? I.e., 3 per pack? Okay...

...Good luck getting that into Armory, I'm afraid. Does it kill Battlesuits or something? Because thinner things can be taken out by conventional explosives, and those come at 3 per token.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1714 on: July 17, 2015, 04:46:58 am »

Yeah, it sounds like a rocket warhead delivered via grenade. Might be useful against conventional armour in tanks, since the parabolic trajectory would allow it to hit the thinner top armour, but not much else. Anyway, I suggest bringing the price down, because right now it's as expensive as a heavy Gauss cannon anti armour or nuclear shell and probably weaker, since it is not launched with the same speed. Unless it uses one of Sean's fancy plasma lances, in which case it might be strong enough to do some serious damage and justify its price.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: July 17, 2015, 04:54:48 am »

Speaking of plasma lances, there's a similar principle of using a electromagnetic pulse to propel molten metal jets with a fair degree of force and accuracy. It's called MAHEM, and is a really cool sounding DARPA project(hence why the wikipedia page is so sparse). I've been meaning to see if this would increase our current explosive ap round performance, but have been holding off since armor penetration stuff has always been the bane of PW's existence :P
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1716 on: July 17, 2015, 05:08:21 am »

Another idea: combine a hollow forceblade monoatomic penetrator with one of Sean's plasma lances to make a sort of plasma injector for extra penetration. Put it at the end of a long pole to make it a literal plasma lance.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: July 17, 2015, 05:37:18 am »

Another idea: combine a hollow forceblade monoatomic penetrator with one of Sean's plasma lances to make a sort of plasma injector for extra penetration. Put it at the end of a long pole to make it a literal plasma lance.
This... might actually work. Crazy, and probably over-the-top-Tinkery, but it might work.
Sean might be interested in this, I think.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: July 17, 2015, 06:40:04 am »

This just in!
Just say when you need council involvement, and when you do please do include the relevant info (either in a write-up or via quoting the relevant parts).

So Council, Balance!

A 'please' never hurts you know  :P

Anyways, brought it up.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: July 17, 2015, 06:52:02 am »

This just in!
Just say when you need council involvement, and when you do please do include the relevant info (either in a write-up or via quoting the relevant parts).

So Council, Balance!

A 'please' never hurts you know  :P

Anyways, brought it up.

If I can remember where we keep the logs, that'd help :P. But anyways, I'm requesting formal council approval and pricing, and having PW give performance data was a prelude to that.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: July 17, 2015, 08:23:09 am »

Also, on the topic of Council approval. Anton is, at some point, going to be doing work on the "Artee" unit, intending to make it available as a Sod replacement for any commander that would be willing to take one. Would the Council have any say in how it is made and what features it can have, considering there isn't a token cost associated with Sods?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: July 17, 2015, 08:31:54 am »

There isn't a token cost, but there is a resource cost. Even if regular sods are literally grown in vats, we have robosods, and their equipment has to come from somewhere.

Please, try deciding the feature list first, and checking it up to Piecewise. Given how sods work, you could probably go up to two-tree sods worth of resource cost with Artees, so you could move from there. And since it might as well be 'background war effort' design (how many times have we seen sods on a mission outside the one and only Battle for Hephaestus?), the cost might even be largely irrelevant, that with no-price-tag-attached attitude, similar how the cool advanced shuttles were designed by tryrar recently.

Piecewise is generous, Council is... well, I don't know. But Piecewise is known to be generous, and his word has the ultimate weight, so please take it up to him first. And then, if/when he sends you to the Council, ask them, but no earlier.
Past Sigs

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1722 on: July 17, 2015, 08:32:46 am »

Also, on the topic of Council approval. Anton is, at some point, going to be doing work on the "Artee" unit, intending to make it available as a Sod replacement for any commander that would be willing to take one. Would the Council have any say in how it is made and what features it can have, considering there isn't a token cost associated with Sods?
Council is only responsible for things that can be used by players. Things where being balanced matters. If you do not intend for that thing to replace gunner boots but just want it as something similar to sods and Steve boots, something the players might end up controlling or fighting side by side on a mission but will never have access to through the armory, then you're free to go nuts. As long as the appropriate administrators agree, of course.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 08:34:25 am by Parisbre56 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: July 17, 2015, 08:41:52 am »

PW did say you could have your own person sod to order around for a cost(I think 5 tokens due to them having to be grown looking to you as their commander). Might wanna ask him about that and nail down prices for a comparison.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1724 on: July 17, 2015, 09:03:28 am »

I remember someone asking for sods and piecewise replying with laughter.
Even if they are sold, I'm certain they wouldn't be cheaper than a gunner boot.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 155