Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 163938 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1665 on: July 13, 2015, 10:40:51 pm »

I think using normal armour might be best or at least having some sort of retractable arms that hold the force-shield projectors away from the shuttle and point them at where the shuttle is most likely to be attacked. Sort of like a lambda shuttle, having the projectors at the end of wings that are normally away from the shuttle but unlikely to be hit by the enemy or by the environment that get "deployed" (moved even further away from the ship and pointed towards the enemy) when you want to activate the shields.

We've come under attack by high speed, shrapnel-like, energy based, alien or flak-like weapons in the past that can penetrate the shuttle but only had a few people be hit by them. On the other hand, if something breaks a force-shield, then the projector explodes, potentially doing more damage than the shrapnel could.

Plus, aiming weapons through a force-shield would be hard, since it would require disabling/moving an entire section of the shield or leaving the guns uncovered by the force-shield.

And probably complicate flying and landing if they are further away from the ship.

That's my opinion, anyway.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: July 13, 2015, 11:18:35 pm »

I think using normal armour might be best or at least having some sort of retractable arms that hold the force-shield projectors away from the shuttle and point them at where the shuttle is most likely to be attacked. Sort of like a lambda shuttle, having the projectors at the end of wings that are normally away from the shuttle but unlikely to be hit by the enemy or by the environment that get "deployed" (moved even further away from the ship and pointed towards the enemy) when you want to activate the shields.

We've come under attack by high speed, shrapnel-like, energy based, alien or flak-like weapons in the past that can penetrate the shuttle but only had a few people be hit by them. On the other hand, if something breaks a force-shield, then the projector explodes, potentially doing more damage than the shrapnel could.

Plus, aiming weapons through a force-shield would be hard, since it would require disabling/moving an entire section of the shield or leaving the guns uncovered by the force-shield.

And probably complicate flying and landing if they are further away from the ship.

That's my opinion, anyway.

That's why I had a hexsand+sharkplate alternative. Though, it might still be useful to have partial forcefield armoring at key places(basically, spots where if it was hit with enough force to break a projector, the shuttle would likely have been destroyed anyways)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: July 14, 2015, 01:42:53 am »

Hey, quick and easy request for heph, can you guys make normal grenade versions of the hand cannon ammo types not already useable in grenade form? Unless I've misread something and they're already available.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: July 14, 2015, 02:15:36 am »

That's exactly what Syvarris is currently doing; by the way, all our 'standard' grenades are also Brisant-compatible (because they are Brisant ammo; the design's that multipurpose).
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: July 14, 2015, 03:40:09 am »

Umm, Nik, that would make it hard to make grenade booby-traps, and wouldn't be ideal for throwing.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: July 14, 2015, 06:02:05 am »

Why wouldn't it? They are spherical already, for all I know. Actually, they are even better for throwing because the default minimum distance it has to go from the user, or it remains inert (can be switched off for suicide attacks, of course). And Brisant is 50 mm wide, so it isn't even that they are too big for your hand.

I don't know about booby-traps, right (though I think deadman's switch can be arranged, and thus can be imitated with booby-trap), but that unification change I've long been pushing for. Because Brisant grenades are everything regular grenades are plus they fit in the launcher and have a few other nice hi-tech options which normal grenades don't have.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1671 on: July 14, 2015, 11:51:07 am »

Idea: What happens if you use an elemental infuser to infuse toughness or fragility to a force-shield projector? What about trying to infuse the force-shield itself with effects, so you could have something like a lightning+fire monoatomic forceblade?

Other idea: How expensive and large would a self-sustaining anti-gravity manipulator be? If it's cheap enough, you could combine one with rocket fuel to make a sort of high speed escape platform for an entire team of robot overlords.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: July 14, 2015, 01:29:06 pm »

Hmm. The ice melting releases the forcefield dissipation energy gradually. I smell potential usefulness. Keep the material frozen (not necessarily ice, but it's a stupidly cheap option at least) to keep the field up, gauge the amount of damage the field has taken, and when it's near its limit let the material melt to safely release the energy without danger of extra damage...

Also, forcefield foam? I want to test activated liquid ClF3 now. Tiny forcefield bubbles prevent the horrible exploding poison from reacting, but are individually weak, probably enough so to dissipate when stepped on. Area denial as impromptu minefield, delivery method for spray-type launchers...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 01:30:44 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: July 14, 2015, 01:49:51 pm »

What happens if you construct a water anchor inside say.. a water balloon.. then mechanically manipulate its shape?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1674 on: July 14, 2015, 02:30:02 pm »

Another interesting idea:
This gene modification strengthens the capacity of the brain to deal with mental or physical trauma.
And the red line wiggling in manipulator brains means cell death.
So would getting this genemod give amp users more mind points? And if so, could it be used on manipulator brains?

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: July 14, 2015, 02:50:29 pm »

Another interesting idea:
This gene modification strengthens the capacity of the brain to deal with mental or physical trauma.
And the red line wiggling in manipulator brains means cell death.
So would getting this genemod give amp users more mind points? And if so, could it be used on manipulator brains?
It would likely help prevent brain stat loss at the very least.

What i wanna know is what happens to an overtaxed manipulator brain thats had the IVAN treatment.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: July 14, 2015, 03:12:18 pm »

I want to ask a question what would happen if you where to make a gaus rifle that had a rail with a primer at the front and a container holding an explosive that would be primed to explode soon after the primer is primed by impacting the target. This is to cause the Rail to strike it's target and then explode either in side of the target, behind, or around to cause more damage.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: July 14, 2015, 03:16:42 pm »

I want to ask a question what would happen if you where to make a gaus rifle that had a rail with a primer at the front and a container holding an explosive that would be primed to explode soon after the primer is primed by impacting the target. This is to cause the Rail to strike it's target and then explode either in side of the target, behind, or around to cause more damage.
Er, what? Gauss rifle with a rail... and the rail strikes something? That is an entirely wrong sort of railgun. :P

Explosive gauss rounds already exist, IIRC.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: July 14, 2015, 03:19:09 pm »

Er, what? Gauss rifle with a rail... and the rail strikes something? That is an entirely wrong sort of railgun. :P

Oh. ok. I think I got confused with Gauss and rail.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sig-texts!

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: July 14, 2015, 03:22:23 pm »

I want to combine the armor piercing with the explosive round to impact, bury itself into the target, then explode inside the target to do more damage.
GENERATION 31:
Sig-texts!
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 155