Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164004 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1410 on: June 23, 2015, 07:42:49 pm »

The link I posted actually has human limbs for sale. Maybe if you buy many at once you can get some sort of bulk order discount.

And I just realised that if taken out of context, the above sentences can have very unfortunate implications.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: June 23, 2015, 11:57:24 pm »

@Paris

Huh.  Wonder when the surgical stuff got added to the armory; I thought it wasn't even in the prototyping stage yet.  There's even included surgical supplies for robotic limb transplants...

Was it included in the big armory update, and I just missed it somehow?  Or is this 'off the board' equipment buyable from the AM?  Because I don't remember it ever getting prototyped.

@Ozarck

People saying there's no dump stat are lying.  This is not a well-balanced system, although it isn't completely broke.

If you're going for more than just basic medical supplies plus a suit, then you should be fine.  If it's an actual major package that has several unique traits, or even just consolidates a lot of valuable things together, it should be perfectly fine.  Apologies if this was your intent all along.

Your comparison to integrating weapons into suits is probably where a disconnect formed; That discussion was about integrating weapons into Assaultsuits, which despite their name, are essentially minimechs.  They already have a massive amount of integrated systems, and are quite expensive, so the weapon integration argument is much easier to make for them.  Even then, there's still some people who were talking about the most recently proposed integrated-weapon assaultsuit being exploitative--Most notably the head/spokesman of the balancing council.  Nobody has tried to make an Mk.III level suit with integrated firearms and succeeded, which is the equivalent of what I thought you were going for.

(And yes, people have talked about making a medic-focused assaultsuit.  Nobody has actually designed one yet though...)

EDIT: Fixed minitext tags.  Only the first line was intended to be small.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: June 24, 2015, 12:46:10 am »

Alright, I wanna ask, apart from the three main combat skills, assuming a pretty regularly posting player who doesn't really like bothering with long, drawn out talking bits, and seeing an average of... Three missions, what dump stats would there be?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: June 24, 2015, 12:48:51 am »

@Ozarck

People saying there's no dump stat are lying.  This is not a well-balanced system, although it isn't completely broke.

If you're going for more than just basic medical supplies plus a suit, then you should be fine.  If it's an actual major package that has several unique traits, or even just consolidates a lot of valuable things together, it should be perfectly fine.  Apologies if this was your intent all along.

Your comparison to integrating weapons into suits is probably where a disconnect formed; That discussion was about integrating weapons into Assaultsuits, which despite their name, are essentially minimechs.  They already have a massive amount of integrated systems, and are quite expensive, so the weapon integration argument is much easier to make for them.  Even then, there's still some people who were talking about the most recently proposed integrated-weapon assaultsuit being exploitative--Most notably the head/spokesman of the balancing council.  Nobody has tried to make an Mk.III level suit with integrated firearms and succeeded, which is the equivalent of what I thought you were going for.

(And yes, people have talked about making a medic-focused assaultsuit.  Nobody has actually designed one yet though...)
Ah. okay, that clears some stuff up or me. thank you. yeah, he idea was to develop a functional medic suit, not "I want a Mk II and an e-kit, so let's combine them." I was hoping to spark someone else's interest in this, so as to benefit from older tinkers' experience (and to keep it in bounds). Thanks.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: June 24, 2015, 02:38:50 am »

Alright, I wanna ask, apart from the three main combat skills, assuming a pretty regularly posting player who doesn't really like bothering with long, drawn out talking bits, and seeing an average of... Three missions, what dump stats would there be?
Stats:
Cha, obviously. But be prepared to be uncool dude.
Intu, unless you are afraid of sudden apophenia (AHAHA, I can finally use that word right! Misleading insights).
Fate, because Fate didn't save Mesk (he had +4 Fate at the moment of death).
Str - more like semi-dump-stat, but it's usage is still quite disputed.

Skills:
GenKno, because fuck the Musicality.
Handi, unless you're a technician, mostly because for some reason they are dozen a dime in this game.
Med, if you feel lucky with medics being around when you need them or simply are a robo-person.
Aux - semi-dump-stat courtesy of being able to fuck up your suit and Aux requirements for Mk III/Assaultsuit, but still not terribly useful for straight-up combat (or artifact-hunter) character.

Now I am interested how Syvarris would have covered the same topic...
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: June 24, 2015, 02:41:43 am »

Guess what killed me?
Guess.
guess
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: June 24, 2015, 03:03:15 am »

Guess what killed me?
Guess.
guess
Aux? Because GenKno shouldn't work like that, I think. Or Piecewise has once again been fucking with us-oh wait.
Yeah, that explains a lot.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: June 24, 2015, 03:05:00 am »

Yeah it was GenKno.
My fault, I looked for anything that could stop my rocketing off into space and PW used that as a GenKnow roll.

Hence why I'm getting into the habit of putting in a 'don't kill myself' disclaimer into every action I do.
Sig! Onol

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: June 24, 2015, 03:06:34 am »

But negative fate also causes you to be a bullet sponge, see, this is why I said on an average of about three missions because one mission could certainly have one good stat spread (charisma, for example, was useless on the haebi planet) while having negative medical and being in a position without medics with, say, a broken arm, well...
Remember what happened to Spazyaks last character?
Intu comes into play like at mission 19, I would say at least 1+ would be a good investment, as it would also help you out if someone was creeping up behind you, for example, and negative Aux is a bad choice for a full combat guy just because you want a battle-suit, or assault-suit, or whatever those young whippersnappers are calling it today.
And charisma could also be used to help explain things to other teammates without others noticing, right?

Let me specify, assume one player goes through a Blops mission, mission 20 and oh I don't know how about that Ice 9 mission, what are the dumps stats?

Oh, also, apparently Gen. Knowledge, as well as working to stop you from doing dumb things, can apparently also be used to divine secret features of items.
Guess what killed me?
Guess.
guess
Aux? Because GenKno shouldn't work like that, I think. Or Piecewise has once again been fucking with us-oh wait.
In fact, I'm pretty sure Gen. Knowledge covers 'I shouldn't do this' or 'Hey I just figured out a way to do X way more efficiently!', kinda of like an all 'round 'helper' stat.
At least I hope so.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: June 24, 2015, 03:38:39 am »

Guess what killed me?
Guess.
guess
He tried to find a way to propel himself in space when he was out of EVApack fuel. His Aux and End rolls were terrible, which were what actually killed him, but the Gen.Know. roll started it. Using your suit's air to propel yourself is workable if your tether snapped and you're slowly drifting away from your ship without an EVA pack - in that situation, you can sacrifice some air to nudge yourself in the right direction. There isn't, however, enough air in the suit to offset a full tank's worth of EVA pack thrust, and using it up drastically lowers your survival chances. It's common sense, but we don't have a stat for that (it'd be a dump one anyway :P).
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: June 24, 2015, 03:41:48 am »

That's the thing, GenKnow is common sense

Therefore anyone who dumped it is an idiot.

Safe to say my next character if I have to resort to him will have -2
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: June 24, 2015, 04:38:34 am »

You'll be fine. Unless you have an action that explicitly mentions breathing :P
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: June 24, 2015, 04:43:42 am »

I wonder if combining a kinamp and force infuser will let you store kinetic energy and release it into a bullet to give it ludicrous speeds, while avoiding the issue that hitting things with the kinamp will put severe stresses on your bullet and gun (though I believe Corsair had a design with the bullet magnetically floating inside the tube to fix the last issue).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: June 24, 2015, 04:46:12 am »

Would a force-field lined barrel work in place of the magnetic system so that non-magnetic rounds and clumps of dirt can be used?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: June 24, 2015, 04:47:10 am »

Then you still have the stresses on the bullet, and a spray of dirt instead of a focussed projectile.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 155