Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 163822 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2014, 09:53:29 am »

Hey Steve!  You left an N off that project name.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2014, 05:21:08 am »

Also, what is that problem you're thinking of?

Well, what do you get when you make a compound out of a metal and a nonmetal? More specifically, mixing an anion (Arsenic, in this case) and a cation (Uranium).
Spoiler: Answer (click to show/hide)

As for naming things, it's for flavor, something to use as shorthand once it's adopted, and the full name of the thing is usually there and more descriptive (though I know me and Sean try to make the shorthand somewhat descriptive - Spektr and Raduga referencing the multiple wavelength possibilities of his FEL, Brisant referencing explosives for a grenade launcher).
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2014, 06:18:25 am »

Pyro, that forum says you posted a reply, but I can't actually see it. It's just blank after the first reply. Going to your profile foto and clicking latest posts also turns up empty. No idea why that is. So, what did you post there?

Also, all three construction crews are idle! If nobody knows what to do with them, perhaps let them build a dedicated stevebot production line, or more fleshpits. Or expand space defenses. Or continue on spess magick facility. Oh, and get that modular shipyard producing things.

There are also 2 science crews idle. Have them work on stuff. Such as researching some of our artifact backlog.

We really need more personnel on Hep it seems.

About names: if I had given an extra name to the sticky goop launcher like 'the gossamer' or whatever, would that have added anything of value or clarity to the project? Even if people would learn to associate the name with the weapon, and even if the flavor name has a thematic connection to it, for new players it would still be wholly undescriptive/unhelpful.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:26:52 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2014, 07:13:46 am »

Pyro, that forum says you posted a reply, but I can't actually see it. It's just blank after the first reply. Going to your profile foto and clicking latest posts also turns up empty. No idea why that is. So, what did you post there?

Also, all three construction crews are idle! If nobody knows what to do with them, perhaps let them build a dedicated stevebot production line, or more fleshpits. Or expand space defenses. Or continue on spess magick facility. Oh, and get that modular shipyard producing things.

There are also 2 science crews idle. Have them work on stuff. Such as researching some of our artifact backlog.

We really need more personnel on Hep it seems.

About names: if I had given an extra name to the sticky goop launcher like 'the gossamer' or whatever, would that have added anything of value or clarity to the project? Even if people would learn to associate the name with the weapon, and even if the flavor name has a thematic connection to it, for new players it would still be wholly undescriptive/unhelpful.

I did - and it was there, until I tried to edit it. Then it vanished, I tried reposting it, and got something saying it needed to be approved by an admin or something like that. Might have accidentally tripped a spambot filter, who knows. The edit did contain a URL tag (that source paper - not a direct link, for those not on a university connection), that might've done it. Anyways, it was just me clarifying the point of Uranium Arsenide (the similarity in magnetic dipole strength to iron) and seeing if someone would say whether a paramagnet would act in a similar fashion to a ferromagnet in that situation. Also trying to put the discussion back on track with the whole ferromagnetic sabot thing. First guy to respond wasn't exactly helpful - we know how coilguns work, and why things like DU and lead are used in projectiles.

One of them is busy - the wiki needs updating (and PW never gave an ETC for them). I'll see about something for the other two.

Same with the scientists. We do have a large backlog, that's fairly easy.

Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2014, 07:44:57 am »

Hmm. Yeah, maybe it's because you put links in your first post or something, that could have triggered it. We'll just wait and see how it develops.

As for names, you seem to be getting the wholly wrong idea of this. I don't really care that much what you name your stuff, I'm active enough that I'll know most of the names either way. The question was more about what would be the superior naming scheme, in this case weighing practicality against flavour. Of all people, I thought that you would be able to hold an academic discussion about what is better in theory, without necessarily then expecting people to adhere to it.

Also, what makes you think I don't value flavor? If that was the case, why would I name my battlesuit and try to give it a personality? Why would I give silly team names beyond 'team a' or 'team 1'?

Finally, I have noticed that there are quite a few people who never consult the wiki when they don't know something. Instead, they ask in the thread or just roll along with it in blissful ignorance. No offense, but when thinking about these kinds of issues, you should try not to only consider your point of view, or reason from an ideal situation (which in this case would be an attentive player who uses the wiki to search for info he doesn't know).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:48:11 am by Radio Controlled »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2014, 08:14:18 am »

Spoiler: Sleep Derived Rambling (click to show/hide)
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2014, 11:03:55 am »

Actually, with automanipulators on this scale, is making it so that the ship can accept any manipulator of the same size as the compactor possible (and be able to swap it out after it's done) possible, or does this need to be specialized. Also, what else could a manipulator on that scale do?
A more interesting question would be: could the compactor be used offensively? Perhaps enclosed inside a giant mobile moon? We could call it the Dense Star.

More seriously, are manipulators of that size cost effective weapons? Could they be used to compact an enemy fleet? An entire star? Or is the process too long/delicate/works by creating exotic dark matter?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 25, 2014, 12:49:43 pm »

Is it possible to create an amp which compresses reality? That could solve a lot of problems and lead to interesting r&d possibilities.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 25, 2014, 03:12:25 pm »

Is it possible to create an amp which compresses reality? That could solve a lot of problems and lead to interesting r&d possibilities.
How about expanding space? Then we can get our own soundworms.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #144 on: December 25, 2014, 05:13:32 pm »

Doesn't increased gravity mean compressed spacetime? If so, then a gravity manipulator could be used to do that.

Now that I think about it, couldn't you use gravity automanipulators to create an alcubierre drive?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 26, 2014, 01:43:32 am »

It should work in theory. Like microwave amp can be used to cool things down should equally opposed thing be possible with gravity manips. But alcubierre drive requires expansion of space behind and compression ahead, so you would need at least two automanips.

If heph quys could make it work it would give us big tactical advantage as we can go other systems without using jump gates. But if UWM figures it out then our minefield around Hep jumpgate will become very useless.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 26, 2014, 04:32:13 am »

If we do get it to work, it may not matter if the UWM figures it out as well eventually. After all, seeing as such a drive would theoretically unleash an immense blast of radiation, a coordinated strike could pretty much cripple the UWM by taking out vital planets before they knew what's happening.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 26, 2014, 05:00:29 am »

Handwaving the issue is easy though, just say "we'd need an unreasonable amount of automanip fuel" or (in case they are truly self-fueling once large enough) "Even then, we cannot make them go fast enough to really matter".

Do note that the UWM doesn't seem to use FTL chokepoints, as far as we've seen, since there was nothing at the Hep point until we build it ourselves.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 26, 2014, 05:09:48 am »

Do note that the UWM doesn't seem to use FTL chokepoints, as far as we've seen, since there was nothing at the Hep point until we build it ourselves.
It also could be because they didn't expect rebels to have FTL ships.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 26, 2014, 05:31:19 am »

It also could be because they didn't expect rebels to have FTL ships.

Then again, if you don't expect your enemies to have FTL ships, why have a defensive fleet around Hep (which was gone when we came there due to a ruse by Steve)? And why the laser cannon batteries all over the planet?

But yes, now that they know we mean business, they might very well start installing defenses around their FTL chokepoints.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 155