Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 155

Author Topic: Hephaestus OOC  (Read 164224 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Hephaestus OOC
« Reply #1005 on: April 22, 2015, 09:33:58 am »

I don't know if it was intentional, but I find it very funny that you intend to arm our soldiers with BB guns.

"Come on trooper! Grab that BB gun, walk up to that 50 foot alien monstrosity and shoot it!"
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 09:37:14 am by Parisbre56 »

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 22, 2015, 09:38:44 am »

I wonder if he'll name the rifle the Red Ryder then?
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: April 22, 2015, 10:07:14 am »

Hmmm. I really like Sean's take on it, but alternatively we could lower the blasrifle (blifle!) blueshard battery cost down to 1 token as well - decreasing the number of shots somewhat (to 6, maybe), but keeping its ammo price in line with other blas-batteries.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: April 22, 2015, 10:13:23 am »

I don't know if it was intentional, but I find it very funny that you intend to arm our soldiers with BB guns.
"Come on trooper! Grab that BB gun, walk up to that 50 foot alien monstrosity and shoot it!"
Yes, and you caught on faster than I thought people would.

@ sean: thanks for the feedback. Note that I was also a bit iffy on the ammo and prices, but that was what pw gave me, so I went with that.

More shots for the pistol might be possible. Don't know how high pw would value the cutting ability from continuous fire, but since that is the one thing where a laser rifle can be used as a not direct combat tool (eg cutting holes in walls to move through) it might work out. I'd think  an overcharge shot with an entire battery should still be about cutting laser power. not like the exact power ratios were ever defined anyways. In case of discrepancies, mumble mumble efficiency waste heat.

Reason for lowering the bazooka ammo cost was that, well, this thing was meant for anti-armor duty. So, even though PW allowed the smaller shots for it, I scrapped that in favor of lowering cost per shot (PW was also ok with this, by the way, I could find the irc chat logs if needed). Because other weapon might also have expensive ammo, but there you always do get more than a single shot for it.

Either way, I don't think your idea for the bazooka is at all bad, though it's certainly different. I'm not sure if pw will want a weapon of that power in that price category though. Hmm. Your system is cheaper up until 10 shots or so are fired, after that my system is cheaper (total cost, ammo+weapon cost). I'm still afraid though that people will be put of by the thought of paying 2 tokens (almost half an exoskeleton) for a single shot of something. And if something's a good deal on paper, but nobody wants it because it sounds like a lot, that's no good.

A middle road might be something like 7-8 token cost, but 2 shots for 3 tokens (aka 1,5 token/shot). That doesn't sound ideal though, and 3 tokens is still a lot for a single clip.

I think I might like your system a bit better overall, but we'll have to see what the others (and pw of course) thinks about it.

Gonna have to find some way of stopping people from buying the Bazooka clips to power their Rifles, if you go this way.
"I hook up this bazooka clip to my rif"  *ZAP*   :P

Another way to do it, is say that the bazooka shard is build to discharge all energy at once always, and that hooking up a bazooka clip to a rifle will always melt the rifle, because a shard at that size isn't built to give energy below a certain amount. And due to that, you won't get all that much more power from your rifle shot, the max output of the rifle will still be about 1 full rifle clip discharge. Hooking up a bazooka clip just means you end up with a shot of about same power, a melted rifle, and maybe an explosion due to the extra energy.

Now, taking into account that blueshards aren't necessarily cheaper per unit storage, and these are going for compact rather that efficient, balancing game mechanics and fluff is going to be tricky. Bear in mind, production costs don't factor as much into token costs, and while we would like to phase out the old Laser weapons on the battlefield, doing so within the token economy is probably not what we want to do.
I do think that, for the same size and power, a shard is cheaper than an equivalent regular battery. Not sure, but it makes sense I think, since pw always said about generators and batteries that cost increases as size decreases for the same output.

Hmmm. I really like Sean's take on it, but alternatively we could lower the blasrifle (blifle!) blueshard battery cost down to 1 token as well - decreasing the number of shots somewhat (to 6, maybe), but keeping its ammo price in line with other blas-batteries.
That'd mean you get 12 shots for the same 2 tokens. I can live with that certainly, though it would diminish overcharge function a bit.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 22, 2015, 10:43:29 am »

That'd mean you get 12 shots for the same 2 tokens. I can live with that certainly, though it would diminish overcharge function a bit.
I had that idea as well, but I thought that keeping the overcharge power was more important than lowering the clip cost, especially considering it melts the weapon.

Saying that the blueshard in the Bazooka is designed specifically to discharge all at once is a viable option too, but I would consider 1 token per the Bazooka's shot to be a bit too low either way. Effect-per-token I'd say it's about right compared to the PEW (PEW being able to reliably destroy a Battlesuit with one shot), but it just seems too low, and 2 token per the weaker Rifle's clip just makes no logical sense to me.

Hmm. Suppose... well, suppose the Rifle doesn't melt to slag if overcharged? It's halfway between the Pistol and the Bazooka, having features of both. The clip contains a micro-heatsink that takes the brunt of the thermal impact on overcharge, and ejects, leaving the weapon relatively unharmed. The clip then costs 1 token per 5 shots (exactly half), and the overcharge shot's maximum power is reduced.

The Bazooka can be said to use special pre-stressed blueraditite crystals that immediately shatter and dump their whole energy reserve at once upon activation, useless for any other uses, which allows the clips to be cheap (and possibly used as explosives on their own). Thus they also cost 1 token.

This leaves us with:

Blaster Pistol: 1 token, 1 token per 20 shots, overcharges to cutting laser power maximum and melts.

Blaster Rifle: 4 token, 1 token per 5 shots, overcharges to however much charge was remaining, does not melt.

Blaster Bazooka: 8-10 token, 1 token per shot, does not melt.

Simple and streamlined, I think.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: April 22, 2015, 04:20:16 pm »

Hmm. Not an inherently bad idea either. I do kinda like the image of people welding their arms to their torso when overcharging a rifle though  :P

I'll think about it, but your final proposal does sound like a good middle road. Though we still need to get PW's approval, and see if the council won't go against it (where, of course, I won't be presiding on this particular matter).

and possibly used as explosives on their own

That's an idea: buy bazooka charges, then lob and shoot them mid-air with the pistol. For badass points.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: April 22, 2015, 04:37:57 pm »

Every charge comes with a snappy 1-liner for maximum value.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: April 23, 2015, 04:35:39 am »

Spoiler: Blaster Pistol (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Blaster Rifle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Blaster Bazooka (click to show/hide)

That's what it would look like in the revised system. Other people have additional comments? If not, it's off to PW, then to the council.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:19:28 am by Radio Controlled »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: April 23, 2015, 06:41:23 am »

Can't wait for a blazooka battery be used in a blaspistol.  :P
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: April 23, 2015, 06:49:28 am »

Can't wait for a blazooka battery be used in a blaspistol.  :P

Then all you get is a shot of about cutting laser power and a melted pistol. Where does all the extra energy go to? I dunno, guessing it will go into a nice explosion and flying slag. Fun!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: April 23, 2015, 09:47:14 am »

Is Blaster Pistol clip size 10 or 20 shots? Because description mentions both.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: April 23, 2015, 10:18:59 am »

Is Blaster Pistol clip size 10 or 20 shots? Because description mentions both.

Used to be 10, should be 20 now, I'll fix it, thanks for spotting.

Also, @syv: maybe the shield lets normal light pass due to it being lower intensity?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 12:55:10 pm by Radio Controlled »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: April 23, 2015, 01:15:18 pm »

Heh, maybe PW is following the Grrl Power webcomic? :P

That question does come up there. On the first pages, it's used to rules-lawyer an invisible shield as being unable to block lasers. But later the same person who did the rules-lawyering herself has an invisible forcefield, that does stop lasers.

It could be a form of threat-response. Low densities of energy won't cause a reaction. Matter, being (in plain and highly unscientific terms) basically extremely dense energy, always triggers a reaction. Something like that.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: April 23, 2015, 01:33:03 pm »

Heh, maybe PW is following the Grrl Power webcomic? :P

That question does come up there. On the first pages, it's used to rules-lawyer an invisible shield as being unable to block lasers. But later the same person who did the rules-lawyering herself has an invisible forcefield, that does stop lasers.

It could be a form of threat-response. Low densities of energy won't cause a reaction. Matter, being (in plain and highly unscientific terms) basically extremely dense energy, always triggers a reaction. Something like that.

Actually, Sydney's force field isn't quite invisible, it's blue tinted and I don't think that's just for reader convenience :P
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: April 23, 2015, 04:31:55 pm »

DP due to hep update: I'm getting the sense that the field is actually more or less really anchored by whatever material the object we want to protect is made of, rather than a specific meta-material that projects a field-and as such, the strength is dictated by that. Quick, create a field anchored by hexbug and see what happens when you shoot a gauss cannon at it!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 155