Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Age of Myth | [Fantasy Civilisation Game]  (Read 1680 times)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Age of Myth | [Fantasy Civilisation Game]
« on: November 19, 2014, 06:37:23 am »

The gods are gone! They have left behind a chaotic landscape rich with magic, resources and potential. The children of the gods emerge shaken, yet ready to lead their new civilisations to glory!

You are the leader of a nation of fantastic creatures, they can be whatever you like: humans, dwarves, orks, psychic giraffes: the sky's the limit. Each turn you decide what to do with your nation and what to do to the world, peaceful city state or warring empire, it's up to you.

Civilisation Creation:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: example (click to show/hide)

MECHANICS

Each turn lasts a season and every turn is processed at the same time. No metagaming, please. :)
At the end of each turn armies move and income is calculated.
On income:
A town gives +1 to all resource once per turn unless the race has a particular affinity that affects a type of income (Gold mines to mining dwarves for example), is in their primary habitat or the town is founded at a beneficial resource.
The resources are:
  • Gold: used to maintain armies, pay for infrastructure, buy mercenaries and what have you.
  • Populace: capped at three times the number of towns you possess. Used to found new towns or raise armies
  • Goods: Used to build things and equip armies.
On Armies:
An armies quality is indicated by a tier from 0 to 4, 0 being peasant levies, 4 being enchanted royal guard or similar. Better units than tier 1 require buildings to recruit.
Movement is as follows, 3 for fliers, 2 for mounted or units on roads, 1 for everything else. (your race may have an exception)
the cost to maintain an army is equal to their number and equipping doubles with each rank. Raising takes turns one less that their tier. Raising levies damages your income.
Spoiler: Army costs (click to show/hide)

Magic: Unpredictable, but it can do almost whatever you like. Do not state the results of a ritual, just the intent and how it's done, then sacrifice an amount of goods, gold or even populous. The more you sacrifice the better the result.

Play outside the listed rules as much as you like, build shrines to focus magic, try to open hell, go nuts! I'll decide on fair results, I won't say you simply can't do a thing -- within reason.
I'll keep track on all your incomes and make rolls, posting a summary at the end of each turn.
A map will be made once I get a few civilisation submissions. Tell me if you particularly want something in the world. 
I'd like four or so civilisations before I start, but I'll play it by ear.
Remember: It's all about having fun!  :D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:09:46 pm by Edmus »

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Myth | Players needed | [Fantasy Civilisation Game]
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 06:37:53 am »

--Reserved--

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 07:31:16 am »

--Reserved--

Name: The Aven
Background: These creatures are humanoid birds with wings. They hid when the gods fought, and survived on fish, but when the gods left, they became ready to fight.
Patron god: Neva Gives flight bonuses but requires cloud stones.
Affinities:
          Mining Cloudstones (Jewels in the clouds!)
          Fishing
          Science
Values: Never harm another bird, don't declare war unless necessary, they don't kill another Aven, they shun barbaric races.
Habitat: Primary: Hills with running water.
             Secondary: plains with some small streams.
Capital: Floran. A huge castle, made of cloudstone and iron alike. It is filled with blacksmiths and Research labs along with libraries and kennels filled with griffins. South of it is the river Narolf. West is the forgotten castle, and east is the cloudlands (a huge mountain surrounded by clouds)

Leadership: The rules of succession is an monarchy. The leader is Tou Ark. He is patient and a industrious man.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 08:08:10 am by tntey »
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 07:37:51 am »

Spoiler: Humans (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:53:47 am by Cheesecake »
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 09:31:19 am »

Sounds cool. I think I'll make a lizardman civ.

Name: To the other races they are the Lizardmen, they simply call themselves "The People"

Background: The Lizardmen are actually a trio of closely related races created by their god.

The "Old ones" are the first race created. They are a race of large lizards type creatures that walk on four legs, they grow larger and larger as they age and as far as anyone is aware they have no maximum lifespan. They have a very low level of intelligence, most of the time acting purely as animals, although even they have a affinity for the other lizardmen, and sometimes it seems that as they grow ancient they start to become more intelligent, with legends telling of the oldest of them being smart enough to talk, and even give advice. The young ones are sometimes used as mounts. Whereas the older ones are sometimes mounted by whole groups of lizardmen. As they grow very large they start to slow down, and sometimes enter long periods of hibernation, sometimes for decades or even centuries at a time. In the ancient homeland swamps of the lizardmen it's not unknown for a hill or even a small mountain that had been there for as long as anyone memory to suddenly get up and shake off the accumulated mud and plant life before wandering away.

The next race is normally just called "People" or lizardmen. Most of the time they are the most numerous of the lizardmen. They are bipedal humanoid lizards. Large and bulky, they have a somewhat crude appearance, although they are quite strong. Like the Old ones they don't have a maximum life span that anyone is aware of, although unlike the Old ones once they reach their adult size (of around seven feet tall and around 300 pounds) they proceed to grow only very very slowly. (The largest lizardman that is known is 400 years old, and stands at a bit under nine feet tall).

The last race is called the "Favored". A race of much smaller and thinner lizardmen. They typically reach a height of four feet. Their claws are underdeveloped but their fingers are quick and dexterous. They are by far the most intelligent of lizardmen. They act as the artisans, leaders, and priests to the lizardmen. The Favored are also the only lizardmen who have managed to harness the power of magic, which they have taken to as they take to any art, and have gained a high degree of skill with it.

The lizardmen have finally arrived at lands owned by the races of the other gods. Their homeland far behind them they have constructed a temple city in a swamp on the edge of civilized lands. They are cautious of the other races, and some of them simmer with resentment. No one knows what the future will bring!

Patron god: Me'xtanzoult is a ancient primal god who has existed since the beginning of time. He is not a creative deity and when the other gods moved and created in the ancient void before the coming of existence he merely watched them from afar in their games and works. Not taking part himself, but growing curious at their actions. When the gods created the world and descended to it he followed after them and watched them in awe of their works as they created grand seas and majestic skies, but most impressive of all was when life was placed upon the world by the gods. Life fascinated Me'xtanzoult and for the first time this ancient creature no longer watched, but but acted. Wishing to claim some measure of the wonder of creation for himself he reached towards the life that the other gods had created and tried to modify it, to create his own artistic beings.

But he was clumsy and unused to working with life, his touch did not bring wonder to the life that the other gods had made, but twisted it in a ugly fashion, corrupting the life into terrible disgusting forums. The other gods were furious at his corruptions of their works, and they drove him off away from where they worked, and burned his creations, forcing them to flee to the hidden corners and depths of this world. Many of the gods never noticed him again, and thus he gained the name Me'xtanzoult The Father of Monsters with them. But Me'xtanzoult did not flee into the void forever as some gods had thought. Instead he snuck back into the world into a wild and remote area where the gods did not play. Here he found in the great swamps other life, that was barely effected by gods. Simple creatures like lizards. He worked with these creatures then, going slowly as to not repeat his mistake he used the simple template of the creatures he worked with and only made simple modifications. Starting with only crudely enlarging, before moving onto experiments of adding intelligence before finally refining his techniques and making larger modifications. At the end he had finished creating his race, who he simply called his children, and in their language they refereed to themselves as "The People". But in time the other gods and races would come to know of this people as the lizardmen.

Me'xtanzoult is a old fashion god, although he loves his people he will rarely help them without proof of their devotion to himself and to their society. Or the destruction of the creations of the gods that shunned him so long ago. And therefor he accepts blood sacrifice in exchanges for protecting the Lizardmen.

Affinities: Stonework. Warfare. Magic.

Values: Loyalty. Putting the many before the one.

Habitat: Primary: Swamp
             Secondary: Forests
             Secondary: Plains??? (Do I put this here as well, or since it is a given do I leave it out?)

Capital: Naw'am. A huge temple complex made from rocks quarried in the  west and moved via the oldest Old ones available. It acts as a full city for the lizardmen who live there. To the north lay a great and stormy sea that washes against the shore, to the west the huge mountains rise piercing into the clouds, to the south a dark forest looms full of ancient mystery. To the east the swamps continue, seemingly unendingly.

Leadership: The lizardmen are ruled by the council of Favored one Priests. Made up by the oldest and wisest of Priests. For most things they will bring in experts for consultation, lizardmen warriors for war, and favored mages for magical matters, but the ultimate decision lies with them. When a councillor dies a councillor is raised up from the clergy by the other councillors, and the dead body is mummified and placed into the deepest levels of the temple, to be consulted on by the living in very important matters.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:21:10 pm by Criptfeind »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 09:34:05 am »

~Reserved

Name: the Floran
Background: The Floran are plantlike humanoids created by Glóhr'Phên to protect the forests and their denizens. They consider every lifeform equal, tree and man alike, but do not hestitate to hunt, as long as they don't threaten the existence of the species. They will also exterminate every species they consider a threat to them and their beloved forests. They live in villages composed of treehouses and tree-farms in the tallest trees, all different in size and shape. These villages are usually located deep in the most dense forests, making it hard to travel there for outsiders. Since the vanishing of Glóhr'Phên they have become way more bloodthirsty.
Patron God: Glóhr'Phên, the Golden Light. Glóhr'Phên is the Light that gives life to all creatures of the forest. He makes crops grow faster whenever the Floran conquer more ground and turn it into forest.
Affinities:
          Stealthy
          Fast in forests
          Growing plants
          Healing
Values:The forest is more important than anything, they'll give their life for it without doubt.
Habitat:
          Main:Forests
          Secondary:Swamps
Capital:Lamaendîn. A city in the centre of the great forest of Brastor, split in half by the river Lamaen. It is the only Floran city with houses on the ground. A great shrine, made out of wood and gold, is located in the middle of the city, as a tribute to Glóhr'Phên. In its centre floats a humongous emerald which radiates a powerful magic. The city lies under a giant cliff, from wich the Lamaen waterfall flows down into the city. This cliff lies to the north and west of Lamaendîn. To the south and west of Lamaendîn lies the great forest of Brastor, A dense forest filled with fruit and animals, and the Lamaendîn river.
Leadership : The Floran are currently ruled by a senate, consisting of 100 wise Floran. Each of these senators are a representative of a region, city or village. The senate currently houses in Lamaendîn, as close to the shrine of Glóhr'Phên.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:21:54 am by Lord_lemonpie »

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Myth | [Fantasy Civilisation Game]
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 05:26:47 pm »

Spring, First Year:
Flowers bloom brightly across the world, a good omen.
Spoiler: Battles (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Summary of last turn (click to show/hide)

Aven:
tntey
Spoiler: Economy (click to show/hide)

Armies:
None

Spoiler: Cities (click to show/hide)
Leader: Tou Ark in Castle Floran

Humans:
Cheesecake

Armies:
None

Leader: Octaves II in The Palace City

The People--Lizardmen:
Criptfeind

Armies:
None

Leaders: Council in Naw'am

The Floran:
Lord_lemonpie

Armies:
None

Leaders:Council in Lamaendîn

((Okay, it's the first season, none of you know of each other yet. Next update will include a map. A quick rule; building things requires a number of goods equal to a power of 4. 4:16:64:256 and so on. So far as technology goes; dark age Europe, no building new aqueducts and such(yet)))
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:25:46 am by Edmus »

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 05:41:12 pm »

Aven
2 goods is used to train scouts. They carry spears and animal traps. They are tier 1.
1 gold and 2 goods is used to create an alter to Neva.
The scouts are sent to explore the area.
2 good and 1 gold is used to make a jewelry.
Workers are sent to mine cloudstones.

Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 05:46:31 pm »

Humans:

2 goods used to train outrunners. They are tier one mounted scouts, very lightly armored and armed.

2 gold and 1 good used to train an educated noble. Once he's done, he is sent to the fields to help farmers and fishers be more effective in their work.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 06:20:43 pm »

Lizardmen edited turn:

A group of lizardmen outriders are put together from the citizenry and sent out into the swamps to scout out lands for a new temple.

The lizardmen then start gathering resources in preparation for the reports from their outriders...

2 goods used to create one squad of "Lizardmen Outriders". A T1 calvary unit, lightly armored and armed, they are a group of younger lizardmen mounted on juvenile old ones. Less hard hitting then their older brethren they fulfill the role of light calvery and scouts for the lizardman armies.

The Lizardmen Outriders (T1) are sent to scout out the swamp. Looking for any dangers or opportunities for expansion

Edit: A question. In our economy spoiler do we get to use the base (which I guess is stored?) plus the addition (which I guess is created?) or does the stored number already take into account the addition that we got this turn? I assumed the second, but I see some others have assumed the first. If it's the first I'll need to edit my turn a bit.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:48:25 pm by Criptfeind »

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 01:57:44 am »

((Your second guess is right.
Your income is tabulated at the end of a turn, so using income instead of stored resources takes longer and could be interrupted by someonething nasty.
So for the Aven their scouts will be done this turn because the resources are surplus, but the temple and jewellery won't be ready until next turn when the rest of the income comes in. I hope that's coherent. ))

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 02:30:32 am »

Floran
Use 2 goods to create some forest bowmen (T0). These  only have wooden bows and arrows, and are very vunerable. Send half of them to scout the forest. The other half stays in town.

Sacrifice 1 gold to Glóhr'Phên and pray that he will make the crops grow faster.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:35:30 am by Lord_lemonpie »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 08:25:00 am »

Alright. I edited my turn and am ready to go!

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 02:20:44 pm »

I've got one question: Will there be NPC civs or are our civs the only ones around?

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 06:37:11 am »

At present no but they may arise, if a rogue necromancer or whatever gains enough power to be considered a nation.
Pages: [1] 2