Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Minecart issues  (Read 1220 times)

raxistaicho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Minecart issues
« on: November 19, 2014, 12:48:41 am »

Hey all! I'm trying to use this method:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Magma#Design_2

To move Magma up to my fortress. Magma Pistons and a Pump Stack are impractical thanks to cavern layouts about the magma sea.

Basically, I have my start and stop areas defined and I'm trying a few test runs before I submerge the tracks with lava.

Rollers direction is defined Start->Stop, right? Because for some reason when my dorfs go to push the minecart it doesn't move.

Should X and Z be the actual built track stops, or are they hauling designations?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Minecart issues
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 01:44:49 am »

Are the rollers powered?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

raxistaicho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 01:45:53 am »

Are the rollers powered?

Yes, of course :) Got a pair of water generators hooked up to them, the whole assembly is powered and running.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 01:56:22 am »

I don't think the minecart is supposed to be pushed. X and Z are actual track stops set to dump onto the rollers. The minecart on the stop never moves, but instead takes other minecarts to be dumped onto the rollers.

I believe the intention of this is that the stockpiled minecarts won't require routes of their own.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:03:23 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

raxistaicho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 09:52:42 am »

I don't think the minecart is supposed to be pushed. X and Z are actual track stops set to dump onto the rollers. The minecart on the stop never moves, but instead takes other minecarts to be dumped onto the rollers.

I believe the intention of this is that the stockpiled minecarts won't require routes of their own.

Wait, so the dwarves load a minecart full of magma onto ANOTHER minecart, and uses it to dump that first minecart onto a track?

This method just got cooler :P

EDIT: Okay, that makes a lot more sense and it's looking better now. My only problem is the dorfs don't seem to be bring minecarts onto the  aaaa stockpile. It's supposed to accept minecarts from anywhere.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 11:33:44 am by raxistaicho »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 10:38:50 pm »

EDIT: Okay, that makes a lot more sense and it's looking better now. My only problem is the dorfs don't seem to be bring minecarts onto the aaaa stockpile. It's supposed to accept minecarts from anywhere.
Taking from anywhere is fine, but aaaa needs take links from dddd and wherever you're storing your spare minecarts or else your dorfs will think the carts are perfectly fine staying stockpiled where they are.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:45:22 pm by Bumber »