Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Glovedloved - MoK: Journal Thread [Year 5]  (Read 6290 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Glovedloved - MoK: Journal Thread [Year 4]
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2014, 07:11:16 pm »

Sionnach's Journal

9th of Obsidian

Ber Dumatbidok has been struck by divine inspiration, taking over one of the mountain's clothesmaking shops. I've had Neblime locked in her rooms just to be on the safe side.

13th of Obsidian

I had a meeting with Tacomagic today. Apparently she too is opposed to Ral and Ber ignoring the laws of the mountain, something about being too close to the corruption that the sacrifices are meant to protect us from. I may need to build a set of workshops here in the slums to avoid this conflict in the future.

17th of Obsidian

Ber is going to prove to be a greater problem than Ral, I think. I had hoped that preventing direct conflict between him and Neblime would reduce the fallout from his work, but the rest of the mountaineers don't seem pleased with peasants realising there's no reason to force themselves to live in squalor. I suppose I could give him to Ultramagnus as well, but I'm not so foolish as to put any more trust in him than I have to just yet.

24th of Obsidian

Ber has returned to the slums holding this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As soon as we released Neblime from her house arrest she demanded a meeting with me. I can't imagine it's to congratulate me on the completion of the new hospital.

26th of Obsidian

Neblime has demanded that I pass my position of foreman onto someone else. The other mountaineers seem to be in agreement with her, so I've decided to give them what they want. The slums are in better shape after the year I had in charge in any case, and not having the fortress to deal with will give me more time to train the C.D.F, which would be good for everyone. Since she didn't bother telling me who I had to give my position to, I've decided to put Nokzam in charge. She seems capable enough, and with Meng holding his position as mayor they should be able to hold their own against the mountain.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2014, 08:10:08 pm »

Diary of Neblime Queen of Rock
9th Obsidian
This is the end of sionnach's rule.  he thinks just because I put him in charge of some peasants he runs the mountain?!
well he has gone too far now.  he has locked me in my own room.  As soon as I am released I will kill him and that will be the end of it.
maybe I can dig my way out?
11th Obsidian
My imprisonment continues.  I will practice the precise swing of my pick to remove sionnach's head while I wait.
13th Obsidian
I have decided in that perhaps openly killing sionnach is not the best course of action.  He has many supporters and who knows what the peasants would do if he was killed?
I will depose him and then, once he fades into insignificance I will have him quietly killed.
In the meantime I must not appear to have made a mistake in letting a peasant run so much of our affairs.... I will order him to be replaced by another peasant, hopefully one who knows where to toe the line
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2014, 08:43:48 pm »

From the Journal of UltraMagnus - Obsidian:

"This serum will slowly corrupt that uncooperative tax collector's cells. Years after consuming it, he will develop prostate cancer. I want you very carefully inject it into his tea when he isn't looking. Don't worry, it's Irish Rum flavored and one drop won't do anything to you, so if you're caught you have an alibi."
Urvad ran over and slipped past the mountain doors on his mission. I chuckled because I didn't even know what an Irish anything tastes like, but it sure sounds exotic.

Perhaps I'll invent a recipe for it later. Of course, that would have to be after the tax collector's death becomes forgotten.

Onul reported to me that another dwarf had broken into the mountain to construct an artifact. I wasn't surprised; the poster-boy image that Ral's exploit made excellent propaganda by the Loyalists. Leverage with my end of the bargain to Sionnach is now higher than ever, if only I could get a discussion with a representative going. I ordered Onul, "Tomorrow when the sun rises, I want you to try to contact Neblime personally."

Onul ran off to rest, leaving me to my own thoughts and Ral to swing his hammer in front of me.

Sionnach, you've made a huge mistake in allowing another peasant into the mountain. Nothing short of a sacrifice to the blades of the mountain would be enough to appease the distrust you've woven. Soon, the mountain will discover the armor naturally, and the some bureaucrat will deem the Loyalists too unstable to watch over the slums for fear of rebellion and disloyalty. Not wanting to get their hands dirty with watching over their cattle, they'll look for a slum dweller with "proven" loyalty. I will have my chance to bring law to this wretched place, you've ensured me this. Your next blunder will determine how long I have to wait.

Onul returned to the base, informing me of breaking news, that Sionnach has just been demoted from his position of Overseer at the fortress. I asked who was to take his place. Nokzam, another loyalist. "Soon..." I muttered to myself.

I dismissed Onul for the night, for he and Urvad had been exceptionally cooperative and restraint, considering how few heads were smashed in by their hammers. I let Ral take a rest as well, letting the lad run off to his quarters to rest his tired arms.

I prepared tea for myself, my hand trembling from adrenaline. So many thoughts rushing into my head makes writing in my journal the only calming agent. The Loyalists are too reckless to take on the Mountain. They are foot-soldiers, not commanders. I am more fit than any of them to rule, but my gang has only increased by one member. The Mountain will only accept me if they deem me useful enough, but what of my gang? I can't leave them behind, they're too valuable. No, the mountain's input isn't needed for my rule. Only I, a dwarf that stands in the boundaries of both the Mountain and the Slums understands the plights of both, know how to rule them both.

GlovedLoved, you are long overdue for a proper leader, and this journal is long past its exploration scope and expiration date. The only trace of this phase that I shall keep is a dash of silver paint on my gauntlet's thumb to remind me of the Loyalists' armor. Everything else that I've accomplished is either disposable or not so easily forgotten.

I've found my lighter, I hope that the ashes mixed from this journal won't damper the flavor too much when mixed into my tea. Just to be safe I'll mix extra beer into it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:45:50 am by UltraMagnus »

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
  • Return to the Corn Fields
    • View Profile
Re: Glovedloved - MoK: Journal Thread [Year 5]
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2014, 11:39:07 am »

The Journal of Nokzam Oddomdakas

1st Granite, 254

Spring has arrived in Glovedloved.
The urge was there for me, with my newly attained power, to storm the mountain with every capable dwarf and claim what has been kept from us.
But rather than mounting the heads of all those within on our clay walls and feeding their corpses to the dogs, I have made a vow.
I vowed to protect our race, to protect all dwarves.
So it has come to be that I shall not have the blood of my kin on my hands.
For now, I shall let them fester in their opulence, rather applying myself to radically improving the conditions of those around me.
I have given up my duties in the defense force for the time being so that I can focus on the problems we face.

Firstly, we have to construct a bridge over the brook. This will give us the ability to seal ourselves in completely if need be.
I will then address the rather haphazard state of our food stockpiles, seeing as they are exposed to the elements.
Survival is our main concern, and takes precedence over chapel-building and political in-fighting.

Furthermore, I am shocked at the disregard these dwarves have for their dead.
We have two ghosts haunting us, as if these slums weren't unlivable enough.

There is also a room full of sealed-off corpses that no one has taken the trouble to bury.
Up until now I have only heard vague rumors, but after asking some direct questions to one of the duller peasants I am certain of it's existence.
Truly, our ancestors must weep at this sacrilage

I have also conferred with our miners, who seem to have not done much up until now.
We have started to draw up plans so that we can be reunited with stone.
We may not have a mountain, but by all the gods we shall have halls worthy of songs and praise.
Halls that I shall engrave myself.

It is a glorious day. The winds of change are blowing upon this place. Soon, as the mountain dwellers realize that they should never have given power to me or Sionnach, it would be too late.
When they finally open their eyes to the true state of affairs, they shall see that, while we have not fought them, we have surpassed them.
If they intervene in our progress, if they try to stem our ascension, we shall show them what it means to be a dwarf.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:24:22 pm by EinsteinSatDown »

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2014, 03:38:25 am »

16th Granite 254

The day has finally come for Kaladin the Tax Collector to leave us and ''ascend'' to the mountain.
Word came from one of the hauler thralls that Neblime has decreed Kaladin fit for the mountain.
While I would usually scoff at the so called Queen of Rock's orders, I know that Sionnach went through a lot of trouble to remove the instigator from our community.

It has also come to my attention that Ultramagnus has had a hand in securing Kaladin's removal.
This worries me. I have met many bandits and thugs, and I know she is not one of them.
No, she is patient and sly with great ambition. She is a strategist.
Were she not tainted by the unlawful power of the mountain, she could have made a great leader of our people.
Alas, this is not the case. Something will have to be done soon to stem the power of this military force within our walls.

As Kaladin passes over the first bridge into the mountain, I turn my gaze towards the slums.
With the religious rift hopefully closed for good, we can now focus on our survival and gradual ascension.
I have slowly begun improving things, and hope that soon the very designation of "slum" will no longer apply to this place.
The masons have finally set up the bridge over the brook, so that we can be sealed off from the mountain itself if the need were ever to arise.

The miners have also made progress in digging the Firsthall.

We have found a vein of rose quartz, and it was decided that those in the mountain need not know of it.
With the stone and gems we will mine here, defenses can be improved and trade can be facilitated.

The miners have at first resisted to unseal the room full of corpses, telling me that Kogan the weresloth prowled below. I ordered it unsealed regardless, heading in with my axe to slay the beast.
What I saw surprised me.

Kogan had selflessly built a wall that entombs him from the world for all eternity.
Here we have a true dwarf. If Glovedloved had more like him, we would prosper beyond belief.

Things have not changed much, but I know that soon we shall have our reward.
Soon the words of Ardesh Ficklefoot will ring true.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 03:44:45 am by EinsteinSatDown »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2014, 07:10:32 am »

Sionnach's Journal

It seems I was right in my choice of successor. Nokzam has already begun clearing out some of our lingering problems, even risking the release of Kogan to give his victims a proper burial. I worry that she may be too brazen though. Once the mountaineers discover that we have moved into proper stone halls, I can only imagine they'll be howling to set themselves still further above us. I only hope that living in stone isn't enough of a luxury to set Tacomagic and her Followers off. It was hard enough dealing with one of them.

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2014, 10:48:13 am »

UltraMagnus Tome II - Granite:

New book, new phase.

Nokzam is surprisingly level-headed compared to Sionnach's passionate reign. True, he's helped to alleviate the religious tensions, but I doubt that I would have been able to use the conflict beyond getting recruiting Ral. At the same time Nokzam decided that building both a physical and metaphoric bridge between the two main district was a good idea.

So, he seeks to control the trade between the Mountain, and seal us off from the Slums, eh?
What an incredibly bold move on his part, all to remind me that being level-headed and calm isn't the same as cunning.

Onul asked me what we're going to do about this. I told him, "On the last month of autumn, I want you to simply remind the Mountain that the bridge was constructed, ask them who controls the means to retract it, and to ask if the Loyalists could use this to contact with the traders without the Mountain's authorization."

Onul stood dumbfounded, "We're going to tattle? Why put it off?"
I painted a blue line across the back of my gauntlets to remind myself of the river. "Nokzam hasn't proven himself to be a problem yet. He's focusing on building up the Slum district and trying to make life better for everyone. I can't, in good faith, stop that. Our only problem is that bridge, but really there's better things we can do than worry about it."
Onul brought up a rumor that I had heard as well, "And his plans to 'unify' the armed forces."
I was running out of ink for the current writing session. "We currently exist as a force that can be employed by either the Slum or the Mountain districts, making us non-partisan in the Loyalists' war. Obtaining our forces is a direct message of conflicting power to the Mountain, and neither I or the Mountain will want the gang dissipated and all power handed to the Loyalists."

Onul left me to contemplate my thoughts. Just how much power do the Loyalists want? They've already the forces to overthrow the Mountain districts' pitiful population, so why bide more time?
It was then that I began to conjecture a new theory based off of my observed behavior regarding Sionnach. The Loyalists are of the same ambitious thread as the Mountaineers, merely relying on the promises of charity and goodwill to gain followers to counter the Mountain's wealth. They want the Mountain's riches, but is the supplies to keep a dozen in luxury really thick enough spread across the entire Slum district? The Loyalists, are they planning to invest in their own armed forces to secure and maintain the power void that they plan to create by invading the Mountain district?

I pray to my gods that I am wrong about this, that we aren't trading off one evil for another.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:59:22 am by UltraMagnus »

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2014, 11:49:55 am »

26th Granite 254

As I was making my tour of the buildings, identifying problems and thinking of ways to improve them, a deafening noise filled the air.
It came from the newly opened mass-grave where the were-sloth Kogan had slaughterer his kin.
Upon further investigation, I found out that both a goose and a boar had been locked up with the cursed dwarf.
It seems that the boar's life has now been ended.

I fear for our safety with such foul magics existing beneath us.
After a while the noise mercifully stopped, and everyone returned to their work.

When I took up leadership of Western Glovedloved, the slums were filled with dwarves lazing about, not contributing to the cause.
All of them have now been reprimanded, and thanks to their staunch labor the walls have almost been completed.

I expanded on Sionnach's initiative, creating a larger area where we can safely prosper.
The goblins have not yet come, but I sense unease amongst the populace.
Will clay walls and a small number of dwarves be enough to protect them from hordes of goblins?
I see the doubt on their faces.
It is easy to appease the body, but the mind is a fickle beast that can snap at any time.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:51:53 am by EinsteinSatDown »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2014, 02:11:52 pm »

Sionnach's Journal

The slums are being expanded. All for the good, the area I initially walled off was rapidly filling to its full capacity. The river is a cause for concern, though. I worry that if it freezes over again while invaders are present, the results could be catastrophic.

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2014, 02:40:11 pm »

2nd Slate 254

Today, as we were smoothing the walls of the Firsthall, I pondered upon one of Ardesh Ficklefoot's more well known poems.
I believe that I have finally begun to understand it.

The prophet has once again given me vision through his ancient words.
Already I have begun to plan the construction of the Prophet's Spire, a true testament to the power of our people.
I would have commenced the construction if Sionnach had not raised an important issue: One of defense.
While our walls are adequate and sturdy, the frozen river will allow our enemies to strike at our very heart during the winter.
I would much rather have begun to illustrate our mastery of sky and earth, and fullfill another part of the prophecy, but our survival must be ensured before we seek untold glory.

I will ensure the construction of these walls.
The masons, and those that aid them, have done an excellent job thus far.
I have noticed, though, that most doubt my words concerning the prophet and his visions for us.
I will have to convince them of his wisdom, one way or another.
I only hope that the mountain will not take rash actions to prevent our rise.

6th Slate 254

I have today taken over the tax collector's former quarters.

While some may see this as a blatant misuse of power to attain opulence, it serves a very practical purpose: I can now more easily ascertain what Ultramagnus and her thugs are up to.
The door to my new home is straight across the area that they use to train.
This does not stop their activities, but it is my hope that it will make their lives more difficult.
Even if their loyalty does not fully lie with the mountain, they still pose a threat to us.
I just hope they do not react violently.
They certainly did not look content when they saw what I was doing.

I have also learned from one of the haulers that Kaladin has claimed Tacomagic's quarters as her own.
The hauler saw her settling in as he set upon the stone a golden statue that can only have one purpose: To humiliate us in our oppression.

Truly, the greed and arrogance of those in the mountain knows no bounds.
This statue stands proudly in their halls, a testament to the err of their ways and the path that we still have to take.
One day, we shall claim it as our own and make it a symbol of our liberation.

The so-called thralls have become useful assets to me, even though they are being suppressed the most out of us all.
I have decided not to end their services to the corrupt, but rather to give them decent living quarters.
This way they can continue supplying us with valuable information, while living more comfortably.
I will order their quarters dug within the neutral zone, with the given reason being that they can now be quicker to aid their kings and queens.
The miners will commence the digging as soon as they tie up their current tasks.

8th Slate 254

A great excitement has today rippled through our community.
Even I could not help but smile, for the miners have completed digging out the Firsthall!
Now we, the dirt-dwellers, the peasants, the oppressed, can thrive amongst the stone!

For now, we shall leave the ore within the walls.
If we begun to smelt metal, the mountain may be forced to act.
We may have the superior forces, but I will not have any blood spilled if I can prevent it.

Rather, we must be vigilant and ensure that as little information as possible about our actions come to the mountain's ears.
I fear, however, that they will inevitably find out.
If Ultramagnus does not share the news, someone else might.
Certainly they must have other agents amongst us, observing us without our knowledge.
It can be a mere thrall, or even someone who has risen through our ranks and claims to be our loyal comrade.
We have to try and flush them out, or at least make them more weary of our power.
I will have to council with Sionnach and Meng to find a way in which these traitors to the cause can be identified.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 04:09:33 pm by EinsteinSatDown »

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2014, 01:44:30 am »

From the Journal of UltraMagnus - Slate:

Onul confronted me. "Ma'am, the Loyalists are trying to get closer to our base of operations. Do they seek our quarters, to integrate us into their clutches?"
I sat back, staring down Nokzam, the bold dwarf who dare suspect that not everything is in his military watch. I pointed towards Onul to gather the members of the gang.

- - - - -

I made my announcement to my gang and any prying eyes with a whisper, "The Loyalists are no doubt watching, so I'll make this short and sweet. If you can't figure this out, then you will be left out of all gang operations and planning. Needless to say, do not collaborate on this unless you can keep it within your own heads."
Ral was the one who spoke up first. "Figure what out?"
I pointed at the new thug, and proclaimed, "'K:lgangvep. ' That's the puzzle. Don't proclaim once you've solved it, but bare in mind that this is how things are going to be run from now on."

I reached for my notebook. "I will also keep monologues and sensitive information in my log as such, so that prying eyes may not intrude on a woman's privacy, even in a literary sense."

I dismissed the thugs back into training, as I put my new methods into practice. I lift up my pen, hopefully fixing this crutch of mine in a poor memory.

K:lgangmtvitevih jsv xlmw, mrgewi xli pscepmwxw higmhih xssziv-wxit xlimv fsyrhw. mnywx lsti xlex qcxlykw ger iewmpc ehetx xslsa xlic wlepp fixsphxs gsqqyrmgexi jvsq xlmw tsmrxsr.

qsvi wigyvmxc...

gsrkvexypexmsrw xs xli viehiv sjxlmw, csy fvsoi wmqtpi geiwev gmtliv. ejxiv xli xlykw wtieo xlmw jpyirxpc, qsvi amppfi ehhih xsxli oic, wsirnsc csyv wlsvxpmzih zmgxsvc sziv epievrmrk gyvzi.
-UltraMagnus
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 12:06:23 am by UltraMagnus »

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2014, 11:30:10 pm »

Excerpts from the journal of TacoMagic Rigņthigėr, Priestess of the Followers:

28th Granite, 254,

With Kaladin finally ascending into that accursed mountain, may they revel in her company as much as I have, things have finally settled down here in the commune of the Prospects.   Services are steady for both the Priests and Followers, Maskwolf walks free again, and the defenses are complete.

The issue of space had been raised but some digging in the stone will produce more room for everyone, so it is of little concern.  I've been vigilant about continuing to inform both the loyal followers and the Prospects as a whole about the dangers of too closely handling the metals that the earth can hold.  I'm pleased that, thus far, those efforts seem to have fallen on receptive ears.  No ore has been processed into corrupt goods since the digging began, so I must be striking a chord among either the prospects or the leadership thereof.  It matters little at this point where the restraint is coming from, just that it continues to keep everyone safe from the tainted blight of metal.

With the drama past, it is time to once again look ahead.  I've been spending more time with the priests of late, going so far as to attend some of their services.  I think I need to adopt their model of having several underpriests. This allows discussion and consensus on important issues while also providing a way to spread the work around and cover for illness or injury.  Before now, Kaladin was my only backup and that ended poorly.  I shall begin approaching some of the Followers who are more devout to the Path about the possibility of them taking up the cloth.  I will also make a note that I should be among the first to greet new arrivals.  I can simultaneously inform the unaware of the glory of the Path while at the same time scouting out potential priests for the fold.  I have been negligent on this front in the past due to my inexperience.

6th Slate, 254,

That cheeky devil claimed my rooms within the halls and made damn sure word got to me.  Fine, let her have those accursed dwellings!  If she thinks this a slight to me she shall have another thing coming entirely.  I shall pray for her soul!  If she wants to spite me, she'll have to suffer being wished well in her pursuit of the lavish life of a Sacrifice.

I hope she finds a nice golden statue to drape herself on.  Maybe she could even build a bed in its arms and sleep there!  Yes, my old friend, wallow in the taint.  You will make a far more suitable sacrifice than I ever did.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:34:34 pm by Tacomagic »

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2014, 02:41:18 pm »

10th Slate 254

The mountain has today struck it's first blow since I have come to power.
Upon hearing that I intend to improve the circumstances of the thralls, five citizens of the west have been chosen to join the ranks of these downtrodden haulers.
They have made their move, and it is a good one.
They have used my own words against me, with the result being five more of my kin thrown into absolute slavery.
Furthermore, the new haulers seem to be loyal to those in the mountain, foolishly hoping to join their ranks.

It seems that Neblime, or whomever is responsible for this, was well informed on who to choose.
I suspect that Kaladin has finally begun throwing around her weight, sharing all she knows of us.
Either way, these new thralls will not be able to be used as our spies.
I only hope that our overlords will be content with this small victory, and take no further steps to sabotage my plans.

15th Slate 254

Despite the loss of laborers due to the schemes of the greedy, the first level of the riverside walls have been built out of the stone that we have mined.

While this means that we are better protected during the winter, it also gives the mountain a clear sign that we have begun to mine, if Kaladin had not already told them.
This is no great victory, I have simply replaced a physical threat with a political one.
At least the populace seem to feel more secure against the goblin threat, and with high morale comes prosperity.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:29:07 am by EinsteinSatDown »

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2014, 07:15:40 am »

The 27th of Slate 254

Today, migrants from afar have stumbled into our settlement.

Upon hearing the news, I made my way up to greet them and explain why they were to live in the less illustrious side of Glovedloved.
I was surprised to see that Tacomagic was already there, preaching to them about that damned path business.
I lingered some distance from them, curious to know what her intentions were.
She urged them all to walk the path with her, to take up the oath and live their lives the way it was meant to be lived.

Four dwarves, who seemed to be familiar with the works of Ordin Tredlek, agreed to join her as Acolytes.
Even more may follow.
I transcribed their names under the guise of administration, so that an eye can be kept on them.
Bomrek Amudas, Olon Idencattan, Zefon Bomrekakgas and Fath Oltarbomrek may come to pose a risk to us, especially seeing as some of the teachings of Ordin stand directly opposed to the words of Ardesh Ficklefoot and our goal of claiming our rightful place.
Tacomagic, who once ruled over this place from within the mountain, seems to be gaining power again.
I only hope her movement will not become strong enough to keep us away from steel and gems, for riches are not evil, rather it is unchecked greed that is.

While the migrants were filing in through our gates, the multitude of dogs locked outside our walls began to howl and bark, as if possessed by some strange force.
Sionnach and two others from the defense force went to see what was bothering them, but found nothing.
I suspect they may have sensed something that we have not, and this has left them terrified.
We must be vigilant tonight, for perhaps the scent of goblins has wafted towards the canine's noses.

This day truly seems to be filled with strange events, for one of the thralls have been imprisoned.
Meng, our mayor, has ordered that one of the mountain's new slaves be arrested.
The stated reason is that she volunteered to serve the mountain, that she chose to be a thrall and thus betrayed our cause.
I suspect another reason, but either way Ral herself took the hauler prisoner, binding her with the chains atop the ominous gibbets that tower over our heads.

I decided to leave her there for twenty-four more days, simply because it is the will of our mayor and sends a clear message to everyone else: Do not proclaim loyalty to the mountain.
I was glad to see Ral aiding Meng, it proves that she does have some sense of obligation towards maintaining the law within our settlement.
She never was a thug.
No, she is an artist, and even if she did not join our movement, she still harbors resentment towards the mountain.
She personifies the free spirited nature that a dwarf should strive for.
Perhaps in Ral we have an ally, someone who can provide more information on Ultramagnus's schemes.
I must now find a way of buying her service, claiming another spy for my expanding network.

2nd Felsite 254

Dwarves are still streaming in through our gates.
This has become a problem, as I have already counted about thirty-five new migrants.
Soon, with the population rapidly growing and resources wearing thin, violence may erupt.
Whether the populace will demand action against the mountain or fight amongst themselves, it will be a crippling blow for my vision of dwarven prosperity.

Even now, the mountain extends it's corrupted grasp.
Four of these poor souls have been drafted as thralls.
I could have prevented it, but amongst all this chaos, with new faces filling every corner of our settlement, the agents of the mountain can more easily ply their trade.
The thing that enrages me most is that the migrants do not know better than to resist the mountain's orders, they are new here and simply think it is the way things are meant to be.

The mountain's sudden need for more haulers worry me, for it most certainly means that they are working on something big.
I thought that this would be a war won with us besting the mountain, wearing out their supplies and convincing them that their ways are wrong.
They will not play it this way, rather choosing to subjugate us even further despite the fact that we have more weapon-wielding dwarves.
Soon, I may have no choice but to storm their gates.
I fear the consequences, but in desperate times we resort to deplorable measures.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 09:00:40 am by EinsteinSatDown »

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2014, 02:14:29 pm »

From the Journal of UltraMagnus - Felsite:

Scheming may as well not be if you're going to be transparent about your intentions.

The downside to the Loyalists' position against our training bunker is that we have just as much of a view of them as they do us, but with less of the responsibilities that cause for distraction. Lately, I've been seeing them eying Ral. Why would they be doing so? Oh, right...

I called for my thugs to meet with me at the start of the month. Ral, Onul, Urvad, and Monom all stood there, awaiting today's lecture before hammer practice. I spoke, collecting myself in thought before deciding what needed to be encoded and what didn't need to be. Calmly, I graced the room with my words, "You are all excellent dwarves. Skilled, loyal, fierce... Skulls may rest in peace knowing that her legacy of dwarves has turned out to produce such fine beings as us all. That's why I'm going to reward you all; today we're going to have a break from hammer practice and get acquainted with civilian life. It shall serve to prepare us for an upcoming hiatus from training. Mind you, this doesn't not mean a disbanding of the group, it just means that we'll only be training when we need to prevent our skills from getting rusty."

Onul as expected was the first to speak up, "Ma'am, what about the... uhm... K:lgangpscepmwxw xvcmrk xsxeoi sziv xliwpyqw (did I encode that right)?"
I responded after a brief moment to decode that mentally. A month of training was starting to settle into the thugs, "(I understood that, yes you did.) K:lgangxlicvi kixxmrk fsxl eqfmxmsyw erhvigopiww. wssr xlivi amppfi tvsfpiqw jsv'iq fcxlilerh sjxli qsyrxemr, rsxsyvw. airiih rsxasvvc efsyxmx." Onul didn't seem convinced. He asked, "are you sure?" I nodded affirmatively.

I grinned to the thugs, "If it wasn't for those damn Loyalists' plotting co-opting the civilian defense force, this would be the perfect time for me to find a dwarf with a handsome beard and settle down into motherhood. For the rest of you, that's your call. I don't recommend getting yourselves pregnant, but do enjoy yourselves for the next season. We'll meet back at the end of each month to brush up on our skills, and resume full-time operations at the end of the summer, if the group decides that civilian life is rewarding enough."

The dwarves ran outside of the room on break. I have full intentions of making the most of this day.

- - - - -

"Ral," I asked in the courtyard outside the housing units, "What makes you happy?" Ral seemed straightforward in her answer, "The arts, the military, friendship, money, that type of thing, you know?" I chuckled back, "The military? Come on, Ral, I didn't ask you so you could butter up to me, I asked so that I could get to know you better. We're still a small group, so I like to know each member on a personal level." Ral leered at me, "If anything it sounds like you're the one that's trying to persuade a dwarf. Don't lie to me, tell me the real reason why this is happening. It's the Loyalists, isn't it?"

I took a moment to choose my words carefully, "Only partially. They were always clear in their intentions to make a mascot of you, even going so far as to trade you away for their own public image, all for moot once they made themselves the self-appointed guardians of this province. No, only partially because I need to clear my conscious of that bargain."
Ral's tone suddenly turned a little more soft, "You're throwing me our of the group."
I straightened my posture and asked Ral, "No, I'm asking you to join the thugs as a full-fledged member, none of this 'prisoner' nonsense. If you want to run off during this break and never pick up one of our hammers again, I'll turn a blind eye to it. Unlike the Loyalists, I don't value you as property or payment."
Ral was a bit flattered, but reluctant to fully accept my statement. "If that were true, then why did you even try to bargain me in the first place? What do you see me as?"
I stared down Ral in the eye, a bit disappointed that she expected me to have made the decision to meet on a whim. "K:lgangxstvszi lsa qygl xlic vieppc hsrx gevi efsyx xlihaevziw mrxlmw tvszmrgi. My benefit from the trade-off may only be temporary, this is your decision, not mine. As for what I see you as." I took a moment to stare directly into Ral's eyes passionately (no-homo), before finishing my answer, "I see you as a dwarf with strong biceps that can avoid a goblin strike, swing with her mighty hammer, and then pause to wipe her brow because she was precise enough to get the task done. Whether the goblin is a fleshy invader or a stone figurine in progress makes no difference to this vision."

Ral seemed flattered. "But you don't see me as a thug?" I answered back, "I don't have precognition; I see a skilled dwarf with options."
Ral seemed touched. "In case I do make that decision, though, and the grip of my war hammer gets cold, you will show no scorn to me?" I laughed, "Such as long as you don't crawl back to the Loyalists that value your loyalty enough to trade you for something that they would later throw away." Ral didn't quite remember the meeting well, "Their stealth? Their security?" I shrugged, "Might as well be both? Know also that if the thugs do resume operations and you do re-appear to pick up your hammer again, I'll give you a big hug and formally integrate you into the group."
Ral laughed, "A hug? Get real, what's in it for me if I do join your gang? I could make a killing making stone cups on mass-produce for humans." I can't say that I didn't understand this predicament of hers. "If you make more cups, the fortress wealth will increase. If that happens, then more immigrants will come to the fortress. If that happens, then there will be more mundane workers that consume more of the few luxuries that we have have. You may call this a slippery slope, but let's be honest, why did you come to the fortress, and how many immigrants have since then turned into haulers?" Ral seemed hesitant, but ultimately nodded at the statement. If she did so only to amuse me, I have no clue. "Let's not forget that any great tokens made will are taken by the Mountain for their own benefit. However, in Skulls' Thugs, we try to make every reward for our deeds with our own benefit. If we get the CDF needs us to calm a riot because they're too busy with other matters and offer us extra food as a reward, we get fat. If the mountain gives us armor for making a hit, we aren't taxed any more than other dwarves regardless of our metal. We're favorable to everyone except for the reckless Loyalists, and even they have only a mutual distrust of us."

Ral seemed to like the sales-pitch, but it wasn't enough to make a final verdict. I can't say that I blamed her, "It's a big decision, I understand, so I'm going to leave you with some time to think about it. Until then, I'll be off to practice my painting. Our fortunes rise and fall together."

- - - - -

After I set this logbook down, I have no intention of writing in it for some time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5