Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: If selling trap components is "cheating" how do you make money?  (Read 5344 times)

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If selling trap components is "cheating" how do you make money?
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2014, 05:45:40 pm »

I use overpriced goods for trading and I don't consider it cheating. You see, only first caravans really come to sell stuff, after that they come to move away your garbage. It's like goblins: after you made a decent military they are not a treat, they are goblinite. So trading is just a way to get rid of garbage without an atom smasher. (I do wonder which way helps fps more)
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2014, 07:29:05 pm »

My broker is a vampire, he gets me deals where it's rather bad for the traders. Plus, I meant one gold bar makes 3-4 crafts, which, when masterwork or exceptional, get you a larger amount of -iron, bronze, or steel crafts- which are then melted and used by proper smiths.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2014, 07:39:39 pm »

If you have a noble that commissions a specific type of item -- it's a very safe bet that they will then forbid the export of that item, shortly after you get it hauled to the depot and just before you start the trade (or maybe after the trade is finished but before the merchants leave the map).

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2014, 09:07:01 pm »

I wonder if you can make said noble too busy to make mandate.
For example, my duchess is also a soldier, so maybe I can station her squad somewhere else when the trading is going on.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2014, 08:17:08 am »

The wiki has a list of things required for mandates:
* Isn't nauseated, winded, stunned, dizzy, or feverish

A simple way seems to be to let them develop cave adaptation, then send them outside while the caravan is there.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2014, 06:48:13 pm »

if you have any sand of clay soil layers, unlimited crafts are rather easy especially with a magma forge. Once the animals start breeding, including your possibly captured ones and you make prepared meals, it's too easy. In general, I usually have too much to trade after the third year or so and I'm just happy to have the garbage haulers arrive and give them a double return on anything I buy
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]