Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 54252 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)
« Reply #765 on: April 21, 2015, 01:04:14 pm »

It's my day off so expect one tonight.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 21, 2015, 03:17:51 pm »

Granite 27, 205

I went to see Koreg today, regarding the state of the town's defenses. As he was out, I opted to leave a note for him instead, which perhaps may be for the best. In the note, I asked that, since we might be beset by sneakier opponents in the near future, we might post guard dogs around our borders to augment the patrols. The things keep having pups, we may as well put them to use.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 21, 2015, 08:03:33 pm »

12 Slate

Fort Silverplum is coming along nicely but we can't deal with all the trash, training, or butchering that needs to be done. I wonder how much influence I would need to institute child labor without causing an uprising? No, I can't squander my political capital when judgement day is so near. I'm tossing around ideas about how I'll do the deed without creating a nexus of opposition.
   In other news HugoLuman left me a note regarding our defenses. Specifically she requested the posting of dogs around the village outskirts. I'm not sure if she was being glib or simply didn't notice the animals already stationed. In any case with one of the beasts dead, another crippled, and the elves likely planning an ambush their ranks could use some reinvigorating. There are fourteen adult dogs in Nevertaxed and I'll put all of them to work, pets or no. There are also four puppies one of which is female that should prove sufficient to function as breeding stock in the future.
Further on the subject of defense Psychoangel has dubbed her buckler Enteredcry the Fungus of Adventures for reasons I cannot fathom. I can see no benefit of this and it is actually quite problematic as she is unlikely to use a more effective shield should one become available.
   I suppose I should get around to boosting the metalworks too if my mine is to remain relevant. It just wouldn't do to have the next king of the Tame Gears primary holding be a less than productive mine.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 25, 2015, 06:54:05 pm »

28 Slate
I caught that bastard Wierd hauling clay from a distant location to work at the kiln. I've sincce ordered him to use only clay by Pencil_Art's Kiln. I've also set him to work crafts, his output finally has some quality to it and I'm no longer ashamed of the traders seeing it. This lead to my discovery of how woefully inadequate our warehouse is.
This brings me to the theme of this past month: you can in fact have too much of a good thing.
   I moved the vast horde of doors and beds (prepared by one of our former overseers for some kind of project that never worked out) to a temporary stockpile for a massive building effort but realized that we have no need of additional housing. As it turns out Wierd in his magnanimous brilliance created a slum that is populated by almost exclusively by children.
   I would be content to let them mill about as children do and assumably sleep where there parents do but if Wierd believes an overcrowded neighborhood of people who lack the faculties necessary to care for themselves situated by the prison where nobody could help them in the event of an emergency ,for example if we were ambushed by elves, is more prudent.
   Following in his truly impressive footsteps I have decided that I should expand our slum until every child in Nevertaxed has their own home. I shall call it the “Koreg Hawkblockades Universal Housing Initiative” and spin it as a way of teaching the youth of Nevertaxed responsibility. Or if it looks like it's not going over well the “Wierd Pantgranite Plan for the Bedding of Children” and write it off as the work of a madman I had too much faith in. Given that we have an obscene amount of clay it's really just a way to deal with our glut of resources.
   On the subject of resource glut: Silverplum Mine is totally paralyzed. We have enough unprocessed hematite to create 880+ bars of iron which would in turn make about 73 full kits of armor, shield, and weapon. We also have enough conglomerate for 1200 blocks or 300 pieces of furniture. I think that mass production of weapons and armor just to increase the quality of our existing items is a good idea but when that inevitably fails I think I shall order the creation of metal furniture. This luxury will mark Nevertaxed as a place of wealth  and power and justify massive expansion of Silverplum to reach the Tetrahedrite in the Gneiss we've scarcely touched.
   A more immediate concern is the fact that the butcher shop is completely overloaded and items are beginning to rot before anyone can move them. I've ordered a temporary stockpile created adjacent to the workshop and have suspended butchery for now.
   Happily the Owl room is finally done and I am the proud owner of a room dedicated to looking at a very large owl. I've made the point of climbing to the highest point of my unfinished tower while I worked and waving to her majesty. Her husband who is so typically eloquent and diplomatic on our last encounter told me sullenly that he thought “we should all work together.” I just smiled at him and walked away.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 28, 2015, 11:22:57 pm »

Diary, late slate

I dont know how many of these god's damned clay baubles that jackass wants me to make. He seems to have caught on to my diversionary tactic of slowing down my own rate of production by choosing the most distant stores of clay from my newly assigned workshop as possible, and has since instituted ever more draconian measures to try and force me into producing masterwork items. Screw that joker. 

Further, I noticed that he has been going over the books concerning the creation of beds and other furniture for the tract housing project. By the way his expression combines frustrated irritation and tortured bemusement, I can only imagine the worst possible form of tortured political grandstanding from him concerning the project. I can only hope the claim control over the project as soon as possible, and turn it into the greatest possible success the settlement has ever seen. I noted that he has been muttering about the defensibility of that side of the settlement. I wonder if he noticed that the staggered housing plan was more than just to increase density of the housing tracts... The staggered street layout interferes with idle navigation through the district, forcing individuals using those tight alleyways into compromising ambush conditions. A squad parked at proper locations on that side would be able to pick off individual attackers without allowing them room to manouver.  But, since he thinks me a simpleton, I doubt he will have considered that such a layout was purposeful, due to the previously "hey, I am completely open and vulnerable to direct route invasion!" present city planning for that district. The city charter forbids the creation of walls, but it does not prohibit the allowance of natural obstacles to traversal, like trees.  Give that "slum" enough time, and it will block all access from that side. Clever deployment of statues in that area would further limit footpath routes through the district, while bringing up property values.  How amusing would it be, if a statue commemorating the ejection of Koreg as mayor was instrumental in saving the town from an elvish assassination team's stealthy advances?

I can only hope my diversionary tactics are sufficient given his increased tenacity in forcing me to improve until I am able to take up my next tenure.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: May 04, 2015, 08:50:25 pm »

Felsite 14
Shortly after my last entry sheduling conflicts caused one of our kangaroo's training to lapse. The beast snatched up a piglet but scarcely had time to move before two it fell over with two crossbow bolts buried in it's chest and an infantryman finished it with a spear. I've designated the King as the primary food hauler because I am absolutetly sick of our food rotting and everyone's tied up with my numerous projects.
   Wierd has finally completed his first masterpiece, an earthenware amulet. I conducted a brief Craft Quality Assessment Test and the C-QAT myself and it's status is beyond question and I cataloged the entire matter before having a stone plinth placed in his home and the amulet displayed upon it. It is publicly known that Weird desired more than anything to produce a masterwork and it is publicly known that I under my leadership he achieved it. It's possible (inevitable) that he'll be somewhat upset that I turned his life's ambition into a farce by sealing him in a basement and forcing him to work nonstop solely to gain a little political capital but this is just the cost of things.
   We've finished with basement expansion of the warehouse but the above ground still needs the old wall knocked out and the roof put in. When that's done we'll have more space to work with. On the subject of expansion Fort Hawkblockades has it's guest bedrooms and dining hall built and now require only furnishing.
   I've also been planning the new child slum. I stopped counting after 60 but there are quite a few homeless children in town. I think I'll put it between my manor and the forest. This should give me a few extra minutes to shut the gate to Fort Hawkblockades as invaders try to navigate the grimy alleyways and find children to murder. I'll unveil it to the public as being my way of making sure the children have both the barracks and my manor to retreat to in an emergency. Dakost Bookmute is the least awful child in Nevertaxed and I think I'll make him into a sort of child-mayor to rule over the slum and keep them in line without having to venture over there myself. I imagine that a neighborhood full of children would smell awful and be both filthy and sticky. Dakost will have a traditional 5x5 home at the end of the road to the barracks and I think I'll have him given some furnishings.
   A rough interpretation of my current plans.   

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: May 09, 2015, 08:09:46 pm »

Felsite 21

I am going to set the plum on fire and lock the doors. The damned children keep throwing parties and the workers think they can just take off work and party all day. As much as I enjoy the subtle infiltration of the Order's rituals into our dear city's daily operations I've had to break up parties in the temple as well. I've also been forced to suspend all training until we get some more of this hauling done.

Felsite 28

Things are moving along a bit more quickly. With Weird back to brewing we're no longer struggling to keep alcohol production ahead of alcohol consumption. With our surplus restored it's fortunate the warehouse expansion is done and we can get more done without worrying about jams. I've asked a few workers to haul stone only to help fix this damned bottleneck with block cutting. My protege works tirelessly but the stones he needs just aren't being hauled fast enough. I've grown tired of waiting for furnishings so I've decided to put the forge to work producing metal furnishings. Some lovely iron cabinets and chests should do well for my bedroom.

Hematite 7

I've cut non-farming food production. No fishing, no fish processing, no cooking, no butchery, no cheese-making. No more rotten food in Nevertaxed.  With our entire workforce now being used effectively we're getting much more done and soon we'll be done with the damned elves. Every time I catch someone who isn't working I do a brief interview about how many hours a day they spend working, how many people live in their house, if they think they'd get sick and die if they had to sleep in the forest, and other questions to not so subtly suggest that they should work harder.

Hematite 14

Humans have arrived. They're having a hell of a time navigating alleys and it looks like they'll spend the next few days trying to manuver their wagons around trees. While waiting for them I've decided that the noble husband of her highness should die to the ridiculous spikes that she's been mandating. By month's end I'll have my tower finished and awaiting furnishing and from it's spire I shall announce the tragic death of the bastard who seeks to hold my title. The other imposter has thankfull fallen out of favor as my superior skill in the art of oration has been recognized by the public.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: May 16, 2015, 09:14:29 pm »

Hematite 17

Had a chat with Maxcat today about his daughter, our liaison Bim Glazesubtle. She's a sullen, often bitter, spinster of a woman and now that forests, tundra, and goblin infested wilderness separate her from the nearest dwarven settlement her royal position is meaningless. She's still drinking regularly so I'm not particularly concerned about her wellbeing but it seems as though she takes less joy from it so perhaps as a favor to my combat tutor I shall endeavor to imrpove her mood.
   Now that Fort Hawkblockades is almost complete she is the only noble who lacks the facilities normally associated with their office. It's an indignity and I've decided that she should have her pick of the surplus wooden furnishings and elf trash in furnishing her home. We'll have to make some new furniture for the  (The writing suddenly stops)
   The human caravan has been sacked. I have no idea what the hell happened, I heard a commotion to the north and by the time I reached the trade depot I found a pile of trade goods and a bunch of dwarves standing around it. Some of them say the horses were spooked by an elf corpse and they flipped the wagon, some of them say the driver was drunk and struck a rock, some are blaming the greener militiamen for growing bored and violent as they did with the elf woman. All that I'm certain of is that a wagon was destroyed and the humans left. This may be a problem in the future. The elves have warbeasts but they're also a scrawny and weak people too stupid to understand metalwork and on the field of battle a properly trained force could easilly deal with them. Humans on the other hand are large and have access to vast quantities of iron, without the ability to produce steel in large quantities we are at a distinct disadvantage.
   In the wake of this a surprise election was held and that bastard king consort was elected. I'm not upset though, I've picked out a gift for him.

28 Hematite

The new mayor was nervous at first but my generous gifts assured him of my sincerity. First, my beloved owl and the silver cage in which it resides are now fixtures of the domicile of the King and Queen. Second, he is no longer captain of the fourth infantry and I have sworn to make no further efforts to humiliate him. My third gift which he has yet to notice is a  lever on a rarely trafficed corner of their property.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: May 19, 2015, 08:56:56 pm »

19 Malachite

The unthinkable has happened. I had a few drinks with his majesty and talked about some of my concerns. Things got fairly heated but we ended on a very positive note leading me to believe we were well on our way to becoming great friends. I can only imagine that in his drunken state he tried to open the cage and play with the giant owl I gave him as a gift. He was exceptionally fond of that owl but I fear he may have trusted his control over it too much. I am vehemently oppoosed to any of the numerous rumors that anything untoward or sexual happened to provoke the owl and am certain it was completely innocent drunken playing which led him to unleash the creature. He could not have realized that it's training had lapsed or that the creature would attack him. There was a protracted struggle muffled by the excellent insulation of his home. When it was discovered he'd been killed we locked the door immediately and I ordered a cage trap built to catch the owl when the door was opened again but it flew away. Because owl.

His windpipe was crushed. Somehow the owl managed to strangle him, everyone's shocked. People called for the blood of the creature they now called Lostgear and I jumped up on the table of the plum and commanded their silence. I explained that I would organize a party of warriors to kill the beast and hunt it wherever it had gone. It was a dissappointingly short hunt and we found it on the roof of the royal estate. The people recognized my leadership and the emergency election saw Koreg Hawkblockades as the best candidate to lead Nevertaxed.

Her highness fled to the plum to console herself but has fallen sway to some unsubstantiated rumors suggest a few mechanisms were seen being hauled away. This has led her to suspect some sort of conspiracy and I fear she's begun acting erratically. She was overheard saying it would be grand to take off and do nothing for the rest of her days. I'm concerned she might do something crazy like accuse me of having something to do with her husband's death or fall asleep on the tracks in Silverplum Mine.

In happier news the plums are growing and they taste lovely. I've given Weird instructions to dedicate ¾ of brewing to the production of fruit wine for now. 

Galena 9 (this page is unlike most of the others and has been inserted into the journal with some type of paste. Popular consensus is that it was probably written on a separate piece of paper and hidden apart from the journal until the author felt comfortable consolidating them)

I'm in a bit of a rough spot now. The queen fears for her safety which means she may move against me soon however she's also going to be substantially harder target. If I strike now she may survive and that may make our clash a bit more explosive ,and fair, than I'd hoped however if I delay she may strike first leading to the same problem. I've begun plotting her demise but for now I think I'll try to persuade her this has all been one tragic misunderstanding.
I'll come to her on bended knee and explain that I am a loyal citizen who mocked her only because I was upset about the attempts of the MTS to put an end to our scheme. I'll tell her that her husband legitimately seemed fond of the owl and it's only malicious purpose was to occasionally keep her up at night, that I truly had no intention of seeing anyone come to any actual harm. I'll tell her I am too lowly and stupid to devise a way to mechanically open the cage and too abhorred to have had any help. I'll tell her that I would never harm someone over something as trivial as a mayoral position- after all as a founder I don't need to further justify the size of my estate. I'll tell her everything she has to hear and then I'll deal with her.

Galena 21

A flock of Giant Great Horned Owls passed through Nevertaxed. Three of them, we've never seen so many. It's possible they know one of their kind has died here and they have come to investigate. In any case a fine specimen stumbled into one of our traps. With the aid of a firm bite to the inside of my cheek I tearfully spun a story about the king told me in secret about how he felt a connection to the animals and how whenever I saw an owl I would always remember him as he lived. My rewriting of history seems to have worked for some of the dimmer citizens but many of the others are skeptical of how much his Highness really liked owls. In any case it's justified my reapropriation of the silver cage and taking of the owl as a pet. I've actually had a hard time sleeping without the hooting and I'd feel ridiculous if I had an owl room and no owl.
   There's a lot of feathers to be smoothed over the assassination. Even those who stand firmly on the side of Nevertaxed and have begun to enjoy partying in the Temple of the Udar are reluctant to get into an actual scrap with the Tame Gears. In order to smooth things over I've decided to end my combat training prematurely. I'm a novice with a blade but I've become a more disciplined fighter thanks to sparring with Maxcat and should it come down to it I can likely defend myself should Fort Hawkblockades become breached.It's more important for now that I build my alliances so I'll be holding court in the plum for a while.
   We're also almost on top of the clothing situation. Going by how frequently filth covered laborers run screaming to the workshop to snap up freshly produced goods it seems like we need primarily to produce more socks. Once that's done we'll still have to work on maintenance but we'll be done working uphill. Sadly Onud Iltud doesn't have the work ethic of Benviento and he's only a competent mason as of this writing.
   We've also built the first lane of homes in the Universal Housing initiative. It's sandy clay architecture and beds for now but soon they'll have furniture. On that note I'm having Onul crank out more furniture. A little bit of luxury will remind these dwarves on which side their bread is buttered.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:59:38 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: May 24, 2015, 07:28:12 pm »

Limestone 1
Autumn has come and I find myself asking one question over and over: What the hell am I doing? I spent the last week sleeping, eating, and spending my time in the tavern or the temple and it's given me time to think. There are eighty soldiers in Nevertaxed, most of them are completely and irredeemably incompetent. Half of our population is children who were brought here as refugees. We are at war with the goblins and possibly the elves and maybe even the humans now I'm trading blows with the bloody monarch of the single most powerful dwarven civilization on the planet? I have a mansion, a mine, a pet monster, and I haven't paid taxes in almost a decade. It's possible that drinking brandy in a fortress while my destitute subjects scrabbled in the dirt has made me a little bit... evil? I came here to find my fortune and to get one over on those bastards who think authority implies value and here I am with my point firmly made on the verge of some idiot plan to get an entire city slaughtered.

On that note we're refugees now.  I and the six heroic founders built a refugee colony in the frigid north to protect displaced children from the goblin menace even though we lacked the authority to do so. There are obviously flaws with that, for example this latest goblin push started well after we struck out, I sent an incendiary letter to the MTS, and our name is a clear reference to tax fraud. Still, most people are stupid and I think we can get enough commoners on our side to convince the queen that having us all murdered might cause problems. I gave a brief alternative history lesson in the temple and a few dwarves understood they were now part of a delicate ruse while a few others bought the story.

So I guess this is my journey to redemption? Or more accurately to downplay my past crimes until people are content to leave me alone to become incredibly rich? There is no evidence that her husband's death was anything but an accident so open combat isn't something we have to worry about but now the MTS will become a significantly larger problem for the forseeable future. Hopefully she'll die of natural causes or at least something that won't get pinned on us. Her heir might be upset with us but thanks to Ramkal we know where at least one body is buried and now that we have nearly a hundred child hostages we may skate through this.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: May 24, 2015, 11:47:44 pm »

Journal, Late autumn.

I dont know who Koreg thinks he is kidding.  I am being bossed around more now than I was when I was just another drunken loafer manning pumps and picking crops here and there back at the mountain homes.  My duties have only INCREASED since coming here. Sure, I have finally made a masterwork construction, but armok's bloody beard-- that too was spoiled rotten by that insufferable goblin fucker, "king koreg."

While there is (naturally) no evidence to connect Fearless Leader to the untimely death of our king consort, I must say that this is anything but unexpected. I know first hand just how conniving and backstabbing that bastard is. My being basically indespensible for keeping booze and food supplies up is about the only protection I really have here. That psycho would off his own mother if he thought it would give him an edge.

I also note that his own housing project has created homes with a good 50% less usable floor space than my own prior endeavor, all while he has laboriously played dueling towers with Her Majesty the queen. (May festering boils forever dominate her cratered ass cheeks. We are standing bare ass naked against a possible 3 front invasion, and what does she do? Complain about her dead husband and demand more menacing spikes. She keeps this up, the goblins will put HER on a menacing spike, and leave her to rot in the sun! That's what's wrong with authority figures these days-- NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM KNOWS A DAMN THING ABOUT KEEPING PEOPLE ALIVE.)  I DID note that Koreg's half-ass copycat housing project at least did stagger the street layout similar to my own. That at least will help to reduce the speed that invaders can pour into our totally unsecured city streets and massacre everyone-- maybe long enough for a drunken and disorderly security forces to show up and deal with the problem-- ASSUMING KOREG HASNT GIVEN THEM ORDERS TO BUTCHER YET ANOTHER CARAVAN that is!

I can hardly wait for the year to be over.  That preening prick had better hold with tradition and give me my tenure early in the spring, or there will be a mysterious brewing strike.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: May 26, 2015, 06:46:49 pm »

Sandstone 1

Weird's been making noises again about the security of the city. I've had to point out to the impudent little flower picker that he is not the only source of intelligent thought in the village and I am aware that we could be attacked at any time. That is why I have an impenetrable tower. As far as I'm concerned that's problem solved. If he wasn't the only half decent brewer in the village I may have to take a brief break from my “be less evil” plan and stage a jailbreak. A handfight with a troll might teach him to appreciate the safety he typically enjoys.

In any case our militia is currently a bit... populated by idiots but I think I've found a solution. The Nevertaxed Guard and the First Infantry are our two most skilled melee squads with most members being legendary or something close to it. However, the second third and fourth infantry are all woefully incompetent with the fourth having no members with any weapon skills whatsoever. For that reason I have taken some of our veterans and have distributed them amongst the inferior squads. Every squad will have at least three members training at one time as it has always been but now these veterans will be included whenever possible. There's a certain type of unmotivated idiot that just can't learn of their own devices, instead these veterans will act as instructors and hopefully uplift them.

If that doesn't help maybe the Traders from the southern hall s will. I traded off some of our elf and goblin loot for some steel anvils and trinkets we can melt down. A few steel weapons for our veterans should help us deal with the goblins more handilly. I'm also finishing up the slum housing in the southwest. The last two lanes will be wooden instead of sandy clay because raw clay houses are not only ugly but rather difficult to build. Hauling huge gobs of clay to the sites is what's made this whole enterprise difficult, I'd originally thought tying my cramped child ghetto to Weird's slum housing by the prison visually might help shift blame if things didn't go well but the terrible little neighborhood is actually being well received. Perhaps the wooden houses can be a reward for good children, or better yet a reward to whichever children are prepared to sign a contract to work mining or hauling stone in Silverplum Mine when they come of age. Of course such an announcement may lead to more conflict with Weird who for all his stupidity and folly is surprisingly hard to trick. He seems to have noticed that the houses create a sort of defensive obstacle between my home and the general direction of goblin incursion and that they are less than half the size of the originals.
   I don't see what the big deal is, they're all children! They do less than 1/100th the work of a typical citizen and a fourth the living space seems totally fair to me. Besides, if they want bigger houses they can do what I did and build massive towers through cunning, hard work, and the occasional murder. In any case I still have to deal with the corpses in the forest. Between dealing with the elves, the waste from the butcher shop, and the usual troubles the corpses from the last siege are still out in the woods by the new slum populated exclusively like children and that sounds like a recipe for trouble. This is copmlicated by recent difficulties with Hostergaard.
   He seemed fairly enthusiastic to take the job. He didn't say as much but I think he had the ambition to be a grave robber and make some quick coin, neglecting that Nevertaxed is filled with layabouts and thieves. Half the damned city is wearing goblin clothing decorated with battle damage and gore. By the time they get to Hostegaard they've been stripped in the field and the actual corpse haulers probably help themselves too. You know for all the sieges we've had there's never been a single case of an invader carrying any money, jewelry, or other pocket sized valuables? I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least one person in this city with a matress stuffed with goblin loot. These days he's too depressed to work, the smell coming from his cellar is overwhelming and seeing all that carnage on a daily basis has really worn on him.
   I offered the thanks of the mayor to anyone who would go around administering overall happiness surveys throughout the city to help get an idea of what has to be done.  Most of the founders including myself are doing quite well except for Weird whose stress level is similar to the local average probably owing to the fact he insists on behaving and living like a commoner. Hostergaard is by far the most miserable dwarf in Nevertaxed and #1 most likely to go on a killing spree.Benviento is the happiest dwarf in Nevertaxed by far and is without doubt the #2 most likely to go on a killing spree. Actually now that Hostergaard has shown his colors by falling into a depression rather than flipping tables or starting fights it seems more likely he'll just kill himself.
   It's damned difficult managing this waste with the designated waste manager sulking all day. Maybe living outside of an obviously haunted forest will be good for the kids? They can tell spooky ghost stories and explore it at night and have all sorts of fun coming of age adventures. That'll build character, everything that's awful builds character.

Timber 1
   My slum is complete. 41 houses filled with dwarven children. I invited the traders to look at the new neighborhood. I told them we had to pack the houses so densly to accommodate all the refugee children we'd taken in over the years. It was hard work, I explained, but it was worth it to know we were doing our little part to improve things for the kingdom. I spun them a tale of heroism and selflessness, seven noble dwarves who uprooted their lives to protect the innocent victims of the wars we adults wage even though it meant defying the authority of the crown. With a tear in my eye (I actually bit my cheek a bit harder than I'd planned that time) I explained that we just weren't prosperous enough to do the necessary expansion and that many children were still without a place to sleep. They quickly reminded me that we'd just purchased a bunch of very expensive steel merchandise with a bunch of very expensive weapons and armor but I deftly countered that since we were buying steel we were obviously  focusing on improving our security and therefore couldn't also help the poor children. I told them honestly that 31 children were homeless, I didn't explain that “homeless” meant “not owning a home” and that almost all of these children have two parents with relatively spacious homes.  I think I convinced them, with any luck we'll have a bit more sympathy from the world shortly, we may even receive a few donations.
   Sadly we're having more trouble with the dump, the bloody workers keep breaking down sobbing while they're supposed to haul mostly fleshless skeletons. Baffler's upset because even though she's a member of the city's nobility she too has been drafted into hauling bodies. Happier though I assumed she was going to die from an infection she picked up in an accident that was not at all my fault but she shows no symptoms.
   Hostergaard rallied for a bit but he's back to spending all day moping. Onud Iltud has gone from Dabbling to Talented which means he's well on his way to getting me fifteen tiles on which to expand fort Hawkblockades.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: May 26, 2015, 11:22:22 pm »

I'm loving this tale.  Almost enough to make a poorly illustrated web comic about it.  Almost.  (Well, actually, I'd probably do it if I wasn't so busy doing all these other projects over the summer already.  I've pulled down the fence, started making Adirondack chairs from the old slats and am planning to turn the rest into a pillory, a "standing toaster" and a bunch of carved junk for the costumed elves who visit my house every October 31st.  They expect sugary treats and they get carved bits of old fence slat - priceless, no?)

Maybe I'll improve some with hanging rings of plastic or encrust some with bits of artfully broken CD's...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 11:24:24 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: May 26, 2015, 11:59:00 pm »

Koreg reminds me more and more of Reaver from the fable series.

Who else would suggest booting orphans out onto the streets to build a brothel? ;)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: May 26, 2015, 11:59:57 pm »

How's the wood business coming btw?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54