Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 54309 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Villagers Wanted!)
« Reply #615 on: January 15, 2015, 09:58:55 am »

Excellent! I have two plots to get around Wierd's restrictions and one to spoil. Let's see how events play out.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 15, 2015, 01:46:29 pm »

Malachite 1

Wierd has once again gone out of his way to do me harm. I tried to be reasonable, I asked for nine tiles to accommodate a workshop rather than the 25 necessary to construct a proper building. I had planned to introduce one of the industries he'd deemed imperative to our continued development or even sponsor him to allow the construction of that kiln he's had his eye on to increase the production of trade goods. If the tiny brained dolt had produced his precious masterwork at my kiln I think it would have done wonders for our working relationship. Instead I think I shall have to teach him as I taught the MTS what happens when someone imposes ridiculous restrictions on Koreg Hawkblockades the First.
   It seems that my first enterprise must be purely philanthropic and I may not earn interest from the growth of my renter. With no incentive to help the village my first property shall be focused exclusively on achieving a legendary renter as quickly as possible. I considered sponsoring myself as I should be a legendary mason fairly soon but the rules of ownership clearly state that I wield the power to sponsor only a non-notable and it would be... problematic to open a stone industry when Pencil-art still operates the one I assigned to him at the villages creation.
   Respecting a Founder's ownership of an industry is an understood rule and to encourage unhealthy competition would be to the detriment of us all. For similar reasons I shall not just create a still, order one of Wierd's cronies to work at it, and then mock him while he falls into obscurity. If however Pencil-Art would abandon this industry to take up another I could sponsor the reasonably skilled Ambidextrous and invite him to settle in a home nearer to Silverplum Mine thereby quickly raising his CEL score and freeing me of these idiotic restrictions while simultaneously increasing our efficiency and giving Pencil-Art the chance to take up some other necessary industry.
   I think a fishery would also fulfill my purposes. There are several dwarves who have a bit of skill at fish cleaning and they would become legendary quickly while also providing food which we certainly do not need. It's both effective and useless. Of course if I was truly in a sour mood I could just sponsor a worthless industry and deny the village my support until Wierd recinds his objection.
   Even better, I could lock up the tavern. I could sponsor the accomplished chef Taupe for the boarding industry, and then wait for him to reach legendary before giving him the keys to the Pickled Plum. Watching the peons sleep in the dirt just may be enough to teach Wierd to be careful of who he decides to quarrel with and allow me to enjoy a proper sponsorship more quickly. That sounds very attractive actually.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 15, 2015, 05:16:18 pm »

Malachite 6

The warehouse is back to it's original size. With enough bins the basement area is now completely unnecessary. I shall not make a public pronouncement about my considerable efforts to our newfound efficeincy. I've received complaints about the bodies in the stockpile so I think I may construct a basement under the dump keeper's house to accept the wealth of goblin corpses that we needn't look at them regularly.

Taupe works day and night producing meals, I have not told him why. I haven't shut down the plum yet but unless something changes soon I think that's my next move.

A less malicious plan has also taken me, I could offer to take over the wood industry so that captain of the guard HugoLuman may be in charge of a jail which I shall also design. HugoLuman complains regularly about the inadequacies of her home and the terrible lack of cages. We have at present 307 iron bars and it would take 63 to create the 21 iron cages that HugoLuman feels necessary. Sadly our most skilled carpenters are already legendary and there isn't a single one whose name I remember. Still, it's fairly simple work and they would achieve greatness fairly quickly. It would also be the least destructive to Nevertaxed.
   LuckyKobold (odd name) has been dissatisfied working for Saint. Her band of smiths is very large and she has only one forge, the rest spend all day hauling charcoal and iron bars, he's done as much actual work with the forge as I have. I've ordered him to start doing carpentry work to make him a better sponsorship candidate just in case this is the path I choose.
   I've also conscripted a few dwarves whose names I recognized to serve as captains of the new squads. The respect granted by commanding nine dwarves successfully should allow them the clout necessary to establish industries. I've granted one a leatherworks to produce shoes and cloaks.

Malachite 8

There's been an accident. While doing some rennovations on the plum it would seem I ordered the deconstruction of the owner's residence neglecting to leave adequate support for it's roof.

It cut an eerily perfect swath of destruction straight into the basement. As a matter of pure luck I'd just broken up a party in the plum mitigating the damage done. Unfortunately the ensuing collapse drug down the woman who did the last bit of deconstruction and her child as well. A child who happened to be in the basement was rattled by the collapse but not injured and reported a scene that a child had no business being witness to. The woman landed on her neck in such a way as to smash open her throat causing her to bleed to death and her child ,though grievously wounded in the fall, was ultimately done in by a bit of falling lumber that... Rendered it's head suddenly compact.

Fortunately the last election was not long ago so by the time the next occurs this little incident will probably be forgotten. No harm no foul. In happier news I've not received any negative feedback on my proposition to the queen. If she was offended at the thought she would have said as much the fact that she's silent means she's pondering it. I would never dare press her for an answer but when the offering comes I expect she'll listen.
   It's getting hard to keep writing, one of the miners was husband and father respectively to the woman and baby killed. He's wailing down in the mine and it's making a ghastly echo. I'll make him a nice coffer and see if that doesn't help things.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 16, 2015, 02:51:32 am »

Child murderer.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 16, 2015, 05:45:46 am »

Felsite? Malachite?

So Koreg came to me and said t'was time to recognize my obvious skills. It was the stuff o legend's he said. Earned me right to an industry.

Sounded well and good ta me. Should have known he was just being nice and speaking pretty ta butter me up. Gave me responsibility of the dump he did.

Ha! I know something he don't! He thinks he saddled me with something worthless until I prove maself, well, that I will. But there is gold ta be found in da trash. I spoke with a trader once, told me dwarf goods are so popular they accept even rotting clothes just to get some o that dwarfen craft. I will make good money on this, that I know.

Now I just hope he doesn't get any fancy ideas, like stuffing corpses in me basement or something. Although, that may make it easier ta loot them. Just have ta figure out how ta deal with the smell...
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 16, 2015, 08:36:16 am »

Child murderer.

Fear not, the perpetrator has been brought to justice and will be burned for it's crime.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 16, 2015, 10:47:29 am »

Malachite 14

There's been a few incidents. Beyond the miner making an ass of himself a few people broke down sobbing in the basement. It turns out Stukos and little Feb were was related to several dwarves who are very upset at their loss. I had sheets thrown over them and dispatched Hostergaard and Baffler to immediately to take the corpses to a coffin where people could do their grieving far away from the tavern. I also took this opportunity to tearfully declare it a day of mourning and announce that solidarity and unity was the only way to overcome unavoidable accidents such as this.
   I also took the time to redesign the crypt. I've worked solemnly to create and engrave a slab in the honor of Feb. The new structure has been christened the Channel Chapel in honor for the infant. The statuette of Udar in the chapel has already received some worship.

This tactic has been relatively effective but had I failed to placate these laborers there could have been a riot. HugoLuman has been very uneasy because not only is she without proper accomodations for her duties as guard captain there are no cells to detain anyone who becomes unruly. I have drawn up a design for a new prison to ensure the continued safety of Nevertaxed.

It features an office, bedroom, and dining room for our illustrious guard captain and 22 wrought iron cages to hold the toughest of criminals. This is not including the accomodations for our resident wereracoon. To demonstrate the kindness and compassion of Nevertaxed this creature will be granted access to water, food, spacious recreation areas, and a library to entertain itself while tucked away safely behind a sturdy hatch of my own making. This is what we will tell the dwarves, in reality it's a basement we'll stuff the little monster in and forget about.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 16, 2015, 10:48:48 am »

HugoLuman would have to give up the Woodcutting industry but I can start construction of the Hawk Stockade immediately.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 16, 2015, 12:04:52 pm »

"Oh well. It's not like anyone else is qualified for this..."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 16, 2015, 12:17:41 pm »

How's this look for placement?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 16, 2015, 12:19:29 pm »

What's to become of my former house? Or are we converting it?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 16, 2015, 12:21:00 pm »

What's to become of my former house? Or are we converting it?
Your house is 5x5 so any dwarf in the village could move in. As for the industry I think I'll sponsor it in another location.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 16, 2015, 01:19:09 pm »

Galena 8

Our chef is truly spectacular. His latest creation is raw mussel minced and mixed with kangaroo kidney pate served in shell on a bed of red spinach and it goes quite well with a glass of plum brandy. This job is truly awful. It is miserable, thankless work and whenever an unavoidable accident comes up it's always your fault. Sometimes though, it feels good to be mayor.
   I sit in my quarters quite satisfied with the events of the day. Just as I was decommissioning the wood industry HugoLuman has traded for the prison of my design A fisherdwarf barged into the temple screaming. It was assumed to be a tantrum related to the tragedies of last month and I was summoned to console her but when I arrived she was surprisingly coherent. It took a moment to realize this dwarf was in the grips of a fey mood.
   It would seem she was unable to find a mechanists workshop because that industry was shut down for a lack of necessity and no spare patrons. As the selfless, fearless, leader of men I am I postponed my planned sponsorship of a wood industry and have instead ordered the construction of a mechanic's workshop sponsored by myself. In a few days my rentier will reach legendary status, I'll be the first dwarf in Nevertaxed to successfully uplift a villager, I'll be free to sponsor a wood industry and enjoy the fruits of it when my next rentier becomes legendary, and Wierd will have learned a valuable lesson about trying to tell Koreg Hawkblockades how he'll manage his business. 

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 16, 2015, 02:11:48 pm »

If I still have tiles left over after the prison, I would like to sponsor the wood industry.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 16, 2015, 02:24:43 pm »

You don't but I could scale down your quarters to 5x5 and add a downstairs for your office.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 54