Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 54322 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Villagers Wanted!)
« Reply #600 on: January 09, 2015, 01:21:12 pm »

In that same vein do we feel that at least 10 tiles of space between each trap would be acceptable?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 09, 2015, 11:29:38 pm »

sure.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 10, 2015, 08:24:30 pm »

Moving the door to the clothier's studio is a good idea. Personally, i'd just install a second door in the back.

(I was more focused on getting a good spread of seeds for realistic seasonal crop rotation, and evaluating candidates for future labor assignments than I was on high efficiency production. We now have all the seed types that our neighbors have, and that our site offers natively, which is good. Disappointed over not getting hemp though. The sponsorship of the fledgling clothing industry came after noticing that we had no clothier, no candidates for being a clothier, and that we were both drowning in births, and showing initial signs of clothing deterioration in the adult population. I noted that there was a pending problem that needed to be arrested early to avoid serious consequences on the tantrum-related front, and was seeking clever solutions to resolve it late into my tenure. Just getting it deployed was an accomplishment. Improving efficiency is good. Feel free. Considering that there is STILL a shortage of clothing items, after having my candidate hammering out sets of socks, shoes, trousers, and tunics nonstop at a sufficient rate to turn him from "no skill" to whatever is above proficient in one year, i'd say that my concerns were justified.  We would be in considerably worse circumstances had I not at least made the attempt. Since I was also bootstrapping agriculture that same year, I padded the process by buying up crappy elf-fabric in bulk to fuel the learning process. Sadly, I have to start from scratch with the new candidate. Setbacks. Intolerable.)

It's a shame. The FIRST patron I started grooming was only 2 skill levels away from legendary before he was eaten by the wereskunk. We REALLY need to expand on the clothing and weaving industries to keep this many horrible children beards fully clothed.  We can only expand on the weaving side at the moment, but it does us little good to expand there with no industry to take the resulting raw material, except perhaps as a trade commodity.  Our civ needs armor and weapons more than it needs raw cloth though.

Stupid wereskunk.  The clothing industry should have been at full tilt by now. 

The next industry that I intend to give patronage for is the milling industry.  Seems silly, but it is a prerequisite for dying industry, and it has side benefits in the food services industry.  I have the farm plots producing large quantities of winter grains. Most of that is surely going into making beers of various kinds, but I would not be at all surprised to have a surplus of such grain. Milling it into flour will make useful training fodder for the sponsored mill, and useful quantities of flour for the paltry kitchen in the plum-- as well as building a strategic stockpile of dyestuffs to hammer through when the dying industry can be sponsored.   

I have hopes that the goblins will send us a webber demon leader at some point, so we will have a surface source of silk.  Capture of any such creature should be prioritized over killing if possible, even with the low value of webber demon silk as a raw material.  It still satisfies mood requirements, and beats having to manage a strategic stockpile of traded silk. It's probably a silly hope, and even sillier to hope for capture without cage traps--  (It CAN be done though)--  but I still have it. It would be a very nice thing to have.

We already have craftsdwarf and masonry workshops and suitably industry owners, however we may consider relocation of their industrial center to some place more efficient considering the location of the mine. (Stone boulders are heavy and slow to haul.)

I dwarfed a legendary pump operator as a glassworks industry owner (by request), but we need increased fuel supplies, (and a healthy clothing industry to supply bags) to operate it at more than novelty levels of production.

We also have abundant clay which is a useful tradegood when fired into crafts.  It is also useful for making "Clay cabochons" without depleting stone boulder supplies, for bootstrapping a gemcutter/gemsetter industrial base.

Reform of the animal husbandry industry (for meat, wool, milk, and bones) to make better use of animal pastures as "Goblin distractions", as well as to improve and streamline industrial output, should also be considered.

As far as the Elven Menace is concerned:  I wanted to avoid 2-front conflict until our military industrial complex had sufficient recruits with sufficient levels of armaments and training that they stopped being steel clad "just add goblin" instant corpses.  Military training seems to be proceeding well, and recruitment is high.  If you feel we can repel multiple invasions per year, go ahead and start pissing the pointy haired hippies off. At the time the ultimatum was issued, our military was.... laughable.  Placating the foul smelling tree hippies was a temporary tactical move. We had sufficient wood on site to sustain industrial output (with a little clever re-creation of initial infrastructure to more dwarven stone structures) until that condition changed.  If it has proceeded sufficiently that we can repel multiple invasions per year, by all means, start murdering elves and clearcutting trees. Just be aware that at least some of our food production still comes from fruit collection and processing, so leave some strategic fruit trees uncut.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 10, 2015, 11:10:18 pm »

Elves ain't gonna do shit.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 12, 2015, 11:07:03 pm »

Slate 10?

My office now has silver and platinum floors, EvictedSaint's home and workspace has been refurbished and several of the houses have been redesigned.  I noticed that some of the homes were constructed with “road” quality conglomerate blocks rather than “floor” quality conglomerate blocks. As the most senior mason in Nevertaxed I would seem to be the most aggrieved by this. This is more cost effective but it is utterly distasteful. I've taken to cutting stone blocks to center myself when things become mentally taxing and as a result the shop chokes with conglomerate blocks. I'm sure Pencil_Art will appreciate more stone being used.  There are now 61 traps for an animal trapping industry and we've begun training the dogs to defend the village.  I'm concerned that the elven diplomat has not arrived. With the traders already gone I've lost my chance to give a show of force without the diplomat.

Lots of personal stuff lately but tommorrow I think I can line up some real playtime.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 13, 2015, 07:39:04 pm »

Felsite-ish?

Tedium. Utter tedium. Rebuilding the houses and establishing some permanent roads. I've spent most of my time building furniture, I've grown quite good at it. For fun I administered a CEL test on myself and found I qualify comfortably as a “Master” mason by MTS standards. The time has come to ramp up the military, we're  going to begin mass tree cutting to support growth of the village and charcoal production. As part of some esoteric promise Wierd created a glass studio but nobody competent is around to run it so I had it decomissioned.
   If that upsets him then he can take solace in the fact that a bit of efficiency management and a balance of incentives and threats of unimaginable suffering have lead to his sponsored dwarf “Beneviento” (who has in a vaguely disturbing sort of homage taken the name of a dwarf killed in the wereracoon rampage who previously enjoyed Wierd's patronage) becoming “Adept” in his field. There is still a desperate shortage of clothing but we're shoring up the numbers. I've have created and engraved a slab honoring the deceased Beneviento to the living Beneviento as a show of respect.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 14, 2015, 05:13:41 am »

Dwarf me please, preferably as something interesting.

Do we have a captain of the guard yet? I could do that, and if possible be the head of some industry.
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 14, 2015, 11:00:11 am »

Dwarf me please, preferably as something interesting.

Do we have a captain of the guard yet? I could do that, and if possible be the head of some industry.
HugoLuman is captain of the guard (which is unfortunate because HugoLuman is Legendary, a Founder, and a noble only one of which is necessary to own an industry.) I'll dwarf you as a soldier with legendary skills so you can own an industry.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 14, 2015, 12:21:55 pm »

Felsite 13
This is a good day.

Our chef is becoming quite good. I enjoyed the most spectacular fondue today made from a lovely combination of pig and reindeer cheese on par with anything produced in Tribecloisters along with a glass of exceptional plum brandy. I also received word that the traps have successfully caught a kiwi and a skunk, selling them may provide a bit of income but they may also be butchered or made into pets. I imagine some distant scholar may be interested  in how these kiwis differ from their southern cousins. This came along with the alert that the stockpiles were substantially less congested with the production of sufficient bins. Today I feel... Strong.
   It's been demoralizing these last few months that we've become overrun with children and families seeking refuge. They are utterly worthless, they serve no purpose at all and seem to have discourged the migration of the ambitious sort of dwarf I'd been hoping to attract. I've gone sifting through this living trash to find a few quasi capable dwarves. I decided today to recognize the competence of one of our speardwarves and learned that this dwarf Hostergaard had the sort of drive Nevertaxed is desperately lacking. For now he runs the dump, if he's capable enough he may one day rise above this simple station.
   This means that PK now has access to all the bones he could possibly want and a station to work them at. We have plenty of mussels as well but no facility to clean them. I made a public pronouncement at the plum today recognizing Wierd's efforts in bolstering farming, his legendary skill in herbalism, and the fact that we now have over two thousand plants in our stores 617 of which can be eaten raw. I have thereby ordered an end to all farming activities except those undertaken by the dwarf he designated Lead Planter and the dwarf who the lead planter has taken on as a protege. This should free some hands up for the other labors and the eventual establishment of more and more efficient industries such as a pottery industry. To celebrate Wierd's accomplishments I created a masterwork table and masterwork chair of conglomerate and had them installed in his home
   I also restructured our military. I have renamed our existing squads the Nevertaxed Guard, the First Infantry, the First Archers, and have now created two full squads (the Second Archers and the Second Infantry.) EvictedSaint is now mass producing iron armor to accommodate them. I assembled our new military of 20 infantry and 20 archers plus 10 guards and announced that the time was right to begin our campaign of dwarven supremacy. It appears the elven diplomat has made herself scarce but the next time a pointy ear tried to tell us how many trees we would be permitted to cut we'll put them to the sword.
   This will be a nasty surprise for the Goblins too. This isn't enough though. I want at least twenty more soldiers before I'm comortable sending them against anything. Keeping that many skilled warriors will be... complicated but I'm consulting with HugoLuman on strategies for combat that require less force. I think next time the Gobbos show up we should try a flanking manuver. Allow HugoLuman and the veteran infantry attack while the archers pepper them with bolts and while their attention is occupied send the new recruits to some distant point behind the attackers. When the battle reaches it's zenith the rookies will charge, dividing the attention of the enemy. With these tactics our fifty warfighters will strike with the efficiency of 100.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 14, 2015, 12:26:01 pm »

\o/
  I cant wait to wade through another year!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 14, 2015, 03:33:51 pm »

Hematite 14
I've chosen to seal my basement until an emergency arrives. Some dwarves are upset by this decision, though they already have the temple and the plum to have their merriment in some of them enjoyed going to my basement to sample my private stores and I have tolerated it as a treat for the villagers that didn't really bother me. I have at the moment drink for nearly three years and enough food for fifteen so it wasn't much of an imposition but these dwarves have developed a nasty habit of leaving their clothes in my home and allowing their babies to become ill on my property so I've put an end to it.
   In much happier news we've captured a giant great owl! There are also a few ravens, a kakapo, and a much smaller owl but the giant specimen is the one I'm interested in. I've ordered EvictedSaint to create a chain of unbreakable strength and our most skilled trainers to relax the creatures savage nature. I'll have it chained in my basement and keep it as a pet.
   The human traders arrived as well and I plan to dispose of a few unnecessary items. It also seems I've been re-elected.

As if there was any doubt. The time seems right to make my play,

The following was written on identical scrolls left for each founder all sealed with dark brown wax.

Having served as the only mayor Nevertaxed has ever known
Having led the settlement for one year and having pledged to lead it for another
Having produced personally the majority of stone blocks, furniture, and every mastework stone item in the village
I, Koreg Hawkblockades submit that I should receive nine additional tiles which shall be earmarked for the sponsorship of an industry

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 14, 2015, 04:01:43 pm »

Sounds fair.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 15, 2015, 01:03:23 am »

Wierd grumbled angrily under his breath.

That stupid, vomit-faced Koreg, and his limitless penchant for shameless self-promotion and vapidly hollow "Charity"! 

He glowered at the unquestionably fine quality table he had been presented as an "Appreciation Gift", and glared at the venomous strip of parchment the courier had left.  "Sponsor an industry" indeed!  That shameless tool had rushed to build his garishly lavish fortress with his allotment, and now, rather than decommission part of his own home to make up for the allotment he would need to sponsor an industry himself like a REAL philanthropist, he conjures up some grandiose reason why he should be allowed to bend the rules for his own favor!

The usual loud sounds he had come to live with rattled down from the upper stories of his house, as barrels of spirit were rolled across the floor and down the stairs while new reserves of grain, fruit, and who-knows-what were hauled in and placed into the must and mash barrels to ferment.  Keeping a population this size in alcohol was a 24/7 job, and every square inch of his land allowance was either devoted to the barest minimum of home comfort, and community necessary industry.  He COULD have had a nice house like "Fearless Leader's", but then everyone in town would be wearing rags, or be going naked. 

That Koreg-- Wierd KNEW that bastard wasnt really trying for philanthropy-- he was trying to make sure that honest community investment with REAL sacrifices weren't going to pay off with the interest due! 

So, Koreg wants to have some additional tiles for industrial sponsorship? Fine-- Let him have it-- With a catch.  He doesn't get the bonus for bringing a candidate up to legally qualifying skill. Just the tiles needed for sponsorship. The bonus was meant as reward for sacrifice after all--  And no amount of fancy tables and chairs makes up for his living in a mansion while others have to live in a hovel, and suffering setbacks!

-----------------

LOL--  Just playing up the "Grudge" between wierd and koreg.   I dont mind the request for extra tiles for industrial sponsorship-- armok knows we need it. There are at least 3 industries I feel need immediate sponsorship after-all---  But I dont like Koreg getting a leg up on the system.  The tiles themselves are their own reward for successful sponsorship.  Afterward, if Koreg decides that he wants to continue sponsoring industries after his first successful industrial endeavour, THEN he can get the benefits of sponsorship. :D (If he goes from no skill to legendary with his candidate, he would be awarded nearly 9 tiles as the perk. If we didnt impose such a restriction for this first-time sponsoring, he would have an unfair real-estate advantage. If we DO impose this one-time restriction, then he just gets the perk of getting 9 free tiles.)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 15, 2015, 08:10:35 am »

One more "Yes" makes a majority of the founders.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 15, 2015, 09:10:13 am »

Aye
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 54