Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 54332 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Villagers Wanted!)
« Reply #570 on: January 02, 2015, 08:34:25 am »

The save is free to anybody who hasn't already taken a turn. In 3 hours and 27 minutes if it's still up in the air I'll take it myself.

Asan W

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 02, 2015, 11:16:48 am »

Just wondering, what happened to AsanW?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 02, 2015, 12:11:32 pm »

Who?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 02, 2015, 12:12:08 pm »

Forgot to add you to the dwarfing list, you're there now. Downloading the save.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 02, 2015, 01:19:36 pm »

First Journal Entry of the Second Reign of Koreg the First Hawkblockades

More. Alwaysa more. It was my vision that created this enterprise, my firm hand that lead it to grow, my will that saw the killing of an ancient vampire of dread power, and it has been my cunning that has kept us one step ahead of the MTS over these last few years. Still they want more. There has been (yet another) dispute over who should have to manage this blasted settlement and it seems that for now I alone have the resolve and fortitude necessary for the undertaking. It was inevitable. I'd hoped to serve a few decades as the infinitely beloved mayor of Nevertaxed and watch as Silverplum Mine made me wealthy. But with the village clamoring for another year of my glorious management. Perhaps, with all my influence this place can return to some semblance of the glory I began it with. It is for this reason I have developed my multipart plan that ends with Nevertaxed becoming the capital from which the Tame Gears rule.

I've softened some on the liaison, chiefly because she is entirely too stupid to be a threat and seems to enjoy the fruits of our frequent trading. When I last pumped her for information she let it slip that the war with the goblins goes poorly and that the Queen has become frightened. It would be tremendously unusual for a capital city to be unincorporated into the territory of a nation and tremendously unethical for the government to attempt to skirt around the oppressive laws that it itself created but I imagine that a city bordered by tundra with ready access to the metal and skilled labor necessary to outfit an army is an attractive position for a government under siege and a tax free haven is just the place for politicians and bureaucrats looking to resettle industries threatened by goblin incursion. I suspect that the Queen is growing truly desperate with the barbarians at the gates and while I'm sure she still wants nothing more than to gut us for our insolence if we offer her and her people sanctuary I suspect they'll take it. It will take a show of good faith, an offering of some kind. Five Seven thousand five hundred sovereigns in supplies to outfit a caravan to bring her here safely would be a fine gift I think.

I'm curious as to what happens when this campaign ends, if we break the goblins or they simply lose their vigor. Will there be harsh words? Accusations? A scuffle? Perhaps it will come to blows. Perhaps this will happen somewhere that her personal guard is vastly outnumbered. Perhaps people would be reluctant to back the lineage of a queen who committed the very crimes she sought to punish. Perhaps there will be a question of who should truly rule the Tame Gears and perhaps it will be answered in the Capital City of Nevertaxed where I have always been the guiding light. Perhaps with the unfortunate disappearance and presumed death of Ac Sodues the Order of Tombs is in need of new leadership and a few of it's members could replace the more traditional minded bureaucrats of the old regime. Perhaps I'd be quite comfortable in a silver throne perched atop a monument to Udar issuing orders as the High Grave and King of the Tame Gears. One can always dream. It gives me something to think about as I plan our offering.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 02, 2015, 02:02:30 pm »

Just wondering, what happened to AsanW?

You were dorfed as a metalsmith during Maolagin's reign.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 02, 2015, 07:59:52 pm »

You know I really didn't understand the whole “one year terms” thing. It didn't seem like any real obstacle for a dwarf such as myself who sought to step around the law. I now understand. This damned village is the victim of too many cooks, a dozen half finished schemes and plans and ways of thinking are strewn all about. The houses are built in an odd not pattern and the village is laid out as though four different dwarves planned it, there are dozens of mechanisms and cages for an abandoned venture to start a trapping industry, we have two barracks doing the job of one, the marksdwarves are firing bolts at the building which many of us eat drink and sleep in, EvictedSaint has two homes and two forges, there's a wereracoon sealed in HugoLuman's basement and despite the fact the creatures can live indefinitely without nourishment it has been sealed down there with what I have calculated to be 23 and a half years worth of food and an iron bar, sadly whatever soul had this amazing forsight did not see fit to build a few bins to fix some of this damned clutter, we're running out of clothes and by my calculations the children will soon outnumber able bodied workers, there's an unowned jeweler's workshop stationed by, for whatever reason, a bar stockpile, PsychoAngel who runs the glassworks and is married to the wereracoon has no charcoal stockpile to feed her labor, we're picking berries and pulling tubers all over the forest despite the fact that we have well over two thousand plants, there are trees blocking pathways and constructions because these COWARDS won't even look at a tree without an elf's sayso.  That's ignoring the seed problem. It's busy work being the only sane dwarf in this village. If I'm ever going to be king I'll need to make this a capital worth ruling from.

1. I'm going to need to make sure the town is up to code.
2. I'm going to need to prepare the offering.
3. I'm going to need to produce enough bins to end this madness.
4. I'm going to need to kill all the founders.
5. I'm going to need to beef up the militia
6. I'm going to need to get a competent clothing industry going.

4. (revised) I'm going to need to improve relations with the other leaders and encourage them to live up to their full potential while certainly not killing any of them. (As awful as it is these are six of the seven most capable people in Nevertaxed and getting rid of them just means I'll have even less to work with.)

EvictedSaint
Wierd
PK
Maologin
Pencil_Art
HugoLuman

I need to figure out some way to placate each of them.

My quarrels with evictedSaint have been the most public so I shall begin there. Things have been better recently but sharpening her ambition may make her better suited to holding administrative authority under my new dynasty.

Her focus has always been her metalworks and her drive was most prominent when she was suing to have it created. Ihave already devised a peace offering that should both encourage friendly relations going forward and show her that there are rewards for the enterprising.

Koreg left a rolled scroll sealed with dark brown wax on the table in evictedSaint's home.

Your 64 tile estate as it currently is.

Your 64 tile estate as I envision it.

This design contains a showroom with an armor stand, weapon rack, and cabinet, a small office where prices may be negotiated, and a storage area for your wares.  The basement contains a forge with a stockpile for charcoal and a stockpile for metal nearby, as well as a small stockpile for food and drink should you be trapped inside. The second level houses a spacious bedroom, a balcony, and another room for whatever purpose you see fit. We've enjoyed success from our partnership. We needn't be enemies.

-Koreg

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 03, 2015, 02:19:41 pm »

Hey, Koreg should be happy he has clothes to wear AT ALL. :D  It's been slow going patronizing an industry from scratch, and having a major setback when the young charge goes and gets himself killed by a rabid were-skunk just as he is approaching eligibility.

Without that initiative, and identifying the "Hey, we are gonna be going naked REAL soon if we dont get this going!" clothing problem early, we would all ALREADY be naked!

Hrmph! ;P

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 03, 2015, 02:26:25 pm »

Bim had actually built herself a very nice metalsmith shop in my game...before it crashed.

Your proposed design looks perfect, and she accepts.  She would appreciate it if it was built out of a non-brown stone,  please, and throw a few chests and cabinets in her room.

Oh, would anyone be interested in picking up a job as a localized warehouse manager?  A place to store raw materials (wood, ores, etc), processed materials (metal bars, coal, etc), and finished goods that's nearby the shop.  One of the other metal smiths with less skill could take up that industry.

I forgot who was in charge of the wood burning industry, but would they be interested in moving their shop from the roof of their house to nearby Bim's shop, to cut down on hauling time?

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 03, 2015, 03:12:52 pm »

Hey, Koreg should be happy he has clothes to wear AT ALL. :D  It's been slow going patronizing an industry from scratch, and having a major setback when the young charge goes and gets himself killed by a rabid were-skunk just as he is approaching eligibility.

Without that initiative, and identifying the "Hey, we are gonna be going naked REAL soon if we dont get this going!" clothing problem early, we would all ALREADY be naked!

Hrmph! ;P

Yeah, if you look closely you'll notice there's a goodly few kids wearing no-quality troll fur trousers and such. The goblins, for all their faults, actually bought us some time on that front.

Maolagin is deeply offended by this state of affairs, of course, since by now there's several bins full of masterful dwarf-made cloth just waiting for a good tailor.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 04, 2015, 08:46:59 am »

http://imgur.com/a/eAPIF

These are the dwarves who can own an industry as soon as they're dwarfed.

Reading back through the thread I realized that Maolagin didn't understand the rules, you don't need a barracks for every squad you just can't have a permanent military until there's a barracks.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 05, 2015, 10:39:36 am »

Reading back through the thread I realized that Maolagin didn't understand the rules, you don't need a barracks for every squad you just can't have a permanent military until there's a barracks.

Actually, the reason for the multiple barracks has nothing to do with the rules. It's just to improve response time, given how spread out the village is. When the goblins attacked at the start of my year, the militia barely made it to the front in time, and if they'd shown up in a slightly different part of the map they'd have slaughtered a whole lot of civilians before being intercepted.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 05, 2015, 04:19:07 pm »

Actually, the reason for the multiple barracks has nothing to do with the rules. It's just to improve response time, given how spread out the village is. When the goblins attacked at the start of my year, the militia barely made it to the front in time, and if they'd shown up in a slightly different part of the map they'd have slaughtered a whole lot of civilians before being intercepted.
Reasonable but I think I'll just destroy the northeastern barracks and order patrols.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 05, 2015, 04:58:47 pm »

Oh my, frames are just above 20 for me :\ when I grabbed the save.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 05, 2015, 05:04:28 pm »

I'm playing with FPS off so I don't quit in fury.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 54