Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 54363 times)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Villagers Wanted!)
« Reply #495 on: December 06, 2014, 09:33:14 pm »

Babies? Ugh, now I have to cancel all the meals on the menu and plan different foods to accomodate those toothless whinny bastards...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 06, 2014, 09:38:35 pm »

There's oats.  Lots and lots of oats. (But much more spelt and rye)

Also some fruit.  Besides, all dwarven cuisine is finely minced, so its fine for babies.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 06, 2014, 09:48:00 pm »

Sent out a message to the founders who haven't had their first turn. If nobody can take it by tomorrow I'll take my second early.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 06, 2014, 10:46:19 pm »

I'd also be interested in taking a turn!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 06, 2014, 11:01:00 pm »

You can take it now.

You are currently named Vutok and your title is Founder
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 11:25:02 pm by Broseph Stalin »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 06, 2014, 11:52:21 pm »

Maolagin is already dwarfed as the legendary weaver, and owns the weaving industry.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 07, 2014, 01:22:26 am »

You can take it now.

You are currently named Vutok and your title is Founder

Got the save, will give it a look shortly. I'll stick with Maolagin the weaver, though. Wierd, have any RPish ideas why she's suddenly running things?

What version is this with, BTW? I'd like to play 40.19 now that dfhack's updated, as for some reason I've come to prefer manipulator over Therapist.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 07, 2014, 10:24:53 am »

*suggestion*

Wierd was overwhelmed.
  between the merchants, the flux, the babies, and tge goblins she had no her time
  her kiln sat unused and dusty, and the tavern dwellers were demanding more and more variety.
  One can only give themselves to so many causes.
  Why, just today Wierd tried to give the mayor a renter's bill and Mao the trade report!

Mao asked to help, wanted to help.  Showing up with cookies and her leather face veil artifact, Mao began to assist, and talk to, wierd.

'what if I ran the village, as rent payment?  I could build a fine loom and further equip the kiln!'

---

also 40.18?  i think.  Toady's been so fast its easy to get confused in multiple commforts
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:27:29 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 07, 2014, 11:17:33 am »

Just copied the raws from .19 to the save and it appears to be totally compatible. Don't copy building_custom or it'll jack up the display case.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 07, 2014, 02:59:43 pm »

Since it would be too much of a stretch, I removed wierd's hobby kiln, and replaced it with another still. At the rate the youngsters are swilling it down, we needed it to keep up production. (was watching it slowly go down until I installed the second one)

We now have more "Beer" than plum wine btw.  Winter month plantings produce buttloads of spelt, rye, and barley, which all make beers.

Some of the farmplots may need tweaking in the spring months, since a good deal of them did not exist in the spring of my tenure, and I did not retroactively set crops for that month.

Feel free to adjust them.

My ultimate nefarious plan is to use the rectangular chunk of property inside the perimeter of those houses for wierd's estate, once he has subsidized a number of industries.

The next industry I want to subsidize once Beneviento reaches legendary and can own the rental, is to do milling.  That will improve kitchen options for Taupe, and is a prerequisite for dying. 

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 08, 2014, 12:02:02 am »

Okay, I've had a chance to take a quick look around, haven't started playing the year yet. A few notes and queries for the audience 'fore I dig in for real, especially since the rules sez I should ask nicely before messing with Founder-owned properties.

Wierd, the ghost ain't gone. I see there's an odd nook behind a door in the tomb. I was thinking that would be a good place to, ah, permanently inter a slab to keep the bloodsucker down. Any objection from the undertaking department?

Baffler owns the Plum, yes? Would you be okay with a renovation project to start swapping out the wooden walls/floors for stone? There's a lot of usable wood locked up in that structure, and I've got an idea about how to RP it.

On the topic of the Plum, wow, that is disgusting! How do people feel about giving the Plum a finished basement and moving the meeting hall down there, with stockpiles moving to the upper levels? I know we aren't moles, but dwarves will never clean aboveground tiles, and with a roof over the plum, the meeting hall will never get cleaned by rain either.

We've got two full squads right now but I can't make out if there's some deep logic to their selection or setup. I think Maolagin's going to put her 80+ years of mercenary experience to use in recommending a reorganization of the militia.

Since I didn't hear any complaints, I'm going to run in .19. Won't bother messing with the raws unless specifically requested, though, all that would buy us is the new gelding mechanics. Cheers ... back tomorrow with an update!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 08, 2014, 12:15:31 am »

I noted the ghost late into my tenure-- There was a slab ordered to be engraved at the craftdwarf's shop. If it's been made, just install it, and no more ghost.

Yes, the plum is under a mountain of puke.  It also used to have hundreds of seeds and pits in the chairs, but I took care of that part. As I lamented a few pages back, there was no way to eliminate the thick layer of vomit all over everything.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 09, 2014, 03:48:12 am »

4 Granite 201

"Well why don't you talk to cousin Nil, if you're still missing him that much, and see if he'll move out here? We've plenty of family out here now, he'll be more than welcome."

Ral Boatstorches, lead milker of Nevertaxed, looked up at Maolagin mournfully. "Sure I've been missing Nil a bit, but that's not bugging me so much right now as the fact that some dwarf is standing on me beard!" he replied testily. Ral was squatting under a table along with three other dwarves as Maolagin peered down over the edge, because just then almost the entire population of Nevertaxed was crowded into the meeting hall of the Pickled Plum. Although well appointed, the ever-present coat of vomit did reduce the charm of the place on the best of days, and today it was clearly taxing the nerves more than one dwarf.

Crouched beside her on top of the table, Maolagin's aunt Tirist prompted her to continue her story. "So you were about to say, dear, you're some kind of administrator now?"

"More or less," Maolagin temporized. "Thing is, Wierd's been getting a bit, well, weird. He did a good job getting our agricultural business running, no doubt."

"Here here!" interrupted a couple of dwarves in earshot, raising barrels of freshly brewed beer.

"Quite so," she continued, "if we're stuck in the Plum for long, we'll much appreciate the full storeroom beneath our feet here. But the business with the baron, it took its toll. I don't mind saying, he was clearly out of his element dealing with goblins, and now he's got renters, too. So Kogan tapped me a few days ago to take on some of the day-to-day organizing. Get some renovations underway, keep the industries humming along while the founders do their thing with estates and manors and such. And, above all, get us prepared for the goblins."

"And how's that working out then?" another voice called from nearby.

"Could be better," Maolagin admitted. "I wasn't expecting them quite so soon!"

So that got off to a fast start, guys. The save opens on the 2nd of Granite. After looking around a bit I unpause, see there's basically no idlers due to seed dumping, and what's this?

A vile forces of darkness has arrived!

Uh oh. It's Granite 4th, so obviously I haven't had time to change a thing yet. Looks like about 40 greenskins, including some archers, and a squad of trolls. That's no band of bandits, looks like the war is coming to Nevertaxed after all. Better hope we can take down those trolls before they bust down the door of the Plum!

The siege appeared in the southwest corner of the map, so I stationed the Spry Walls in these farm plots while the civilians rushed into the Plum. As it turned out, line of houses worked really well to block line of sight and manage the attack. Other than a small group that broke off to slaughter wandering livestock by the refuse stockpiles, the entire battle unfolded in this square, and most of the fighting took place as trolls and goblins rounded that corner house. This was a bit callous of me, but I think still the right decision -- the Spry Walls was composed of very green fighters, most of whom had little to no experience with the weapons they were using. I held back the more experienced Murky Metals closer to the Plum to intercept whatever got through.

The Walls took heavy casualties -- the captain and five soldiers, plus two babies caught in the battle -- but broke the wave. The new iron armor proved is worth without question. According to the combat log, many heads were saved by stout iron helms, and just as many crippling injuries prevented by gauntlets and such. In addition to keeping them grouped up, the line of houses largely kept the bowgoblins out of the fight entirely. The Metals had it easier, taking no injuries worse than bruises, although PK is up to twelve kills and doesn't care anymore. I don't think any foe got within bowshot of the Plum's doors.

Even though we avoided any civilian casualties this time, it was a close call. If the siege had arrived just a bit further east, the miners would have been slaughtered for sure. I think we'll need to install a door and some emergency rations at Silverplum Mine so that it can serve as a second refuge point during invasions. I'm also uncomfortable with the barracks being so far from the center of town. The squads had to dash clear across the map to get in position.

Let's wrap this post up with a view of Nevertaxed from 10,000 urist.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 09, 2014, 05:36:24 am »

Well done!

I didnt even get a chance to look over weird"s save yet!  These goblins are shaping to be a true problem

What a healthy shade of red NeverTaxed has taken! 

erm . .  from PK's pov, of course :P
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 05:38:38 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 09, 2014, 10:15:02 am »

Hehe, there's a patch of vomit that almost spells HL.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 54