Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 54386 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Villagers Wanted!)
« Reply #330 on: December 03, 2014, 04:59:36 pm »

"A founder may choose to "rent" some of their tiles to a non-notable to allow them to have an industry. Any dwarf can use the rental property but only one can function as the renter. If the renter becomes legendary through the use of the rented property they buy the property from the landlord. The landlord earns back all tiles invested plus one tile for every skill level the renter had to go up to reach legendary"

How's this?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 03, 2014, 05:01:40 pm »

ooh, Incentives. I like it.  Needs group approval though.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 03, 2014, 05:03:12 pm »

ooh, Incentives. I like it.  Needs group approval though.
Certainly. It also punishes assholes like Koreg who focus on big estates and don't care about anyone else.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 03, 2014, 05:15:47 pm »

Sounds good to me. A way to overcome limits yet also raise tensions.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 03, 2014, 05:23:37 pm »

Ok, we need a way to identify rental properties, and respective renters.

I propose a 2 part system.

1) Building will have a label assigned, stating owner and renter's first name.
EG:

Owner:Wierd,Renter:Urist

2) Custom profession on intended renter,
Urist McClothier, Lead Clothier(Renter)

This should be in the first floor of the rental property. Rental properties need to be devoted to a single industry, per the rent-to-own intent. It can be multi-level, with optional basement, but all fixtures must be commercial in nature, and must be related to that industry.

Due to "Rent to own" nature, the rental property cannot exceed the merit allowances of a simple land owner.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 05:25:36 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 03, 2014, 05:44:14 pm »

Ok, if I am reading this right:

KNOW YOUR PLACE! Every Nevertaxed dwarf gets 25 tiles to build on assigned by the overseer but the village is run by notables and notables get privileges. There are two ways to become notable: 1. The Dwarf is a noble AND dwarfed 2. The Dwarf is legendary in at least one skill AND dwarfed. Multiple titles of nobility do not stack.
Notables can own industries and are awarded 10 tiles and 1 z level for every tier of nobility they have. Any dwarf ,notable or not, can have a 25 tile 1z house but an expedition leader or any other starting noble can have a 35 tile 2z house a mayor or guard captain can have a 45 tile 3z house. Multiple titles of nobility do not stack. Building above 1z does not cost tiles but no structure can have a floor that is wider or longer than it's base.

FOUNDER'S KEEPERS! The original 7 founders (and any dwarves who inherit their powers in the event of their deaths) are special notables. They receive a 50 tile estate instead of the standard 25 and can select where their tiles are located. Founders automatically have as many Zs as the highest noble. No overseer may alter or make use of a Founder's land except by specific request. Locking doors, raising drawbridges, etc are expected to be done reasonably. 

Then EVERY dwarf gets a small land parcel, but can't build industries. It's just a house.  That's good, it will reduce the crowding in the Pickled Plum.  This 25 tile restriction works.  That's a 5x5 house with no lawn, of which several already exist. Notables start with a 5x5 house and a small lawn with which they can do stuff.  Founders get special perks, and get the equivalent of a 5x5 house and 5x5 lawn (any arrangement, any conversion up to the 50 tile limit) and extra storied houses.

This means I can convert an empty house into a rental property by destroying the bed, installing a door, and putting a workshop on the resulting 3x3 floorspace inside, then tagging it and the renter, if I forego having a yard. I think I can pull this off with the farm plot in the basement, and sticking with underground crops for the time being. I will have to remove the existing allocated croplands assigned to my dwarf to pull this off, since they occupy the "yard.", which I will have to sacrifice to have a rental property.

Sound good?

I note that my property is in violation. It has a reasonable building footprint, but the yard is too large. The outdoor farm plot + house + stockpile result in a property that is 10x10 tiles, or 100 tiles. NO NO NO.  I will correct this. (Not my doing, btw).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 05:48:40 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 03, 2014, 05:55:14 pm »

Revised plan of attack:

Cancel construction of kiln upstairs. Insufficient room.

Move still from basement to upstairs. Continue construction of second floor.
Construct kiln on rooftop.
Create very small farm plots (3x 3x1 plots) in basement.
Make quantum seed dump in corner of ground floor of house. (Maybe move location of door for efficient access)

Appropriate a rental property, remove the bed, build rental workshop in needed industry, set renter identity accordingly.

That will put the property into legal territory and allow the evil plan to continue.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 03, 2014, 06:03:31 pm »

Ok, if I am reading this right:

KNOW YOUR PLACE! Every Nevertaxed dwarf gets 25 tiles to build on assigned by the overseer but the village is run by notables and notables get privileges. There are two ways to become notable: 1. The Dwarf is a noble AND dwarfed 2. The Dwarf is legendary in at least one skill AND dwarfed. Multiple titles of nobility do not stack.
Notables can own industries and are awarded 10 tiles and 1 z level for every tier of nobility they have. Any dwarf ,notable or not, can have a 25 tile 1z house but an expedition leader or any other starting noble can have a 35 tile 2z house a mayor or guard captain can have a 45 tile 3z house. Multiple titles of nobility do not stack. Building above 1z does not cost tiles but no structure can have a floor that is wider or longer than it's base.

FOUNDER'S KEEPERS! The original 7 founders (and any dwarves who inherit their powers in the event of their deaths) are special notables. They receive a 50 tile estate instead of the standard 25 and can select where their tiles are located. Founders automatically have as many Zs as the highest noble. No overseer may alter or make use of a Founder's land except by specific request. Locking doors, raising drawbridges, etc are expected to be done reasonably. 

Then EVERY dwarf gets a small land parcel, but can't build industries. It's just a house.  That's good, it will reduce the crowding in the Pickled Plum.  This 25 tile restriction works.  That's a 5x5 house with no lawn, of which several already exist. Notables start with a 5x5 house and a small lawn with which they can do stuff.  Founders get special perks, and get the equivalent of a 5x5 house and 5x5 lawn (any arrangement, any conversion up to the 50 tile limit) and extra storied houses.

This means I can convert an empty house into a rental property by destroying the bed, installing a door, and putting a workshop on the resulting 3x3 floorspace inside, then tagging it and the renter, if I forego having a yard. I think I can pull this off with the farm plot in the basement, and sticking with underground crops for the time being. I will have to remove the existing allocated croplands assigned to my dwarf to pull this off, since they occupy the "yard.", which I will have to sacrifice to have a rental property.

Sound good?

I note that my property is in violation. It has a reasonable building footprint, but the yard is too large. The outdoor farm plot + house + stockpile result in a property that is 10x10 tiles, or 100 tiles. NO NO NO.  I will correct this. (Not my doing, btw).

The tile limit only applies to estate, industries (workshops, zones, stockpiles etc) don't count towards tiles spent.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 03, 2014, 06:31:57 pm »

Oh good, I was wondering how I was going to do the stair case.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 03, 2014, 07:19:52 pm »

14th Granite, Early Spring of the year 200
Ledger of the minister of agricultural affairs

The elven trade caravan has arrived before I expected it.
I see that there are trade goods available that we can trade with.
I will see what picked over goods our elven neighbors have brought for us to look at and purchase.
With any luck, we can appropriate some much needed seed stocks for additional industrial crops.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 03, 2014, 07:30:13 pm »

Incidentally, the spouse and offspring of a notable or founder could be considered as "owned by them" if they are tagged with their name.  This would allow the spouse and eventual offspring to diversify the number of things each "family" could specialize in, allowing multiple individuals to bear "dwarfed" status because it has become a surname rather than an individual name. 

(I often play that kind of thing myself to set up clans of individuals, and also so I can track them through Legends mode more easily.

Ex:
   A dwarf named 'Timeless' Clenchpicks becomes...
      Married male: Mr Timeless Clenchpicks
      Married female: Mrs Timeless Clenchpicks
      Unmarried male (adult/child): Timeless Clenchpicks
      Unmarried female (adult/child): Miss Timeless Clenchpicks

Ergo, each one of the "Timeless" family could conceivably practice a different skill-set as well as the family business and gain land grants from becoming legendary in those skills, increasing the family holdings and prestige in the community.)

What will be interesting is when land-lords have children that decide to marry - does the land go to the first-born or is it split up into "dowry parcels" or what?  Lots of interesting decisions that will shape the Nevertaxed culture...  Like which surname survives?  Is it based on wealth, on gender or does it become a hyphenated nightmare like 'Smythe-Bloomington' of the Boston Smythe-Bloomingtons...

Personally, I use the "surname" of the dwarf with the highest level in any one skill or the one with the most surviving family members in the case of a tie.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:35:58 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 03, 2014, 07:37:58 pm »

19th Granite, Early spring of the year 200

It is with displeasure that I must report that all the elves have brought us in trade this year are grown wood items and fruit, which we have in abundance ourselves already. Not a single surface crop seed sack in the lot. Hopefully the human caravan will be more productive.

I see nothing worth trading for in this caravan.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 03, 2014, 08:10:31 pm »

20th Granite, Early Spring of the year 200

More migrants arrived today. Testing and assignments will commence shortly.

I have ordered the construction of 4 stone hives, and a single rock quern. While it may be some time before the quern can be constructed, the hives and a screwpress can co-habitate on my roof with my hobby kiln.

I have added a second story to my modest home, and have moved my still to the second floor. It occupies the entire walkable space of the second floor, but my plan to invest in the community requires that I split my alloted land parcel into two, and utilize the second parcel to benefit the community. Nothing comes for free though, and this second parcel shall be employed as a rental commercial property.

It is with reservation that I have decided to place a hold on the milling and dying industries, despite my order of a rock quern, and instead focus on the clothing industry. It has come to my attention that one of our citizenry has reached the requirements to open a proper weaving studio, complete with proper land parceling. This is a very fortuitous event, and to make that fabric useful, I shall become the patron of an industrious young dwarf who shall operate a simple clothiers' under a simple arrangement, whereby he shall inherit the studio when he fully demonstrates his competency in the art.

The clothing studio will produce undyed cloth goods, and that means our lovely hamlet shall be wearing white linens until we can get a dyeworks running under code, but at least clothing will be available without resorting to outside trade.

It is with high hopes of a successful operation that I conclude this entry.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:24:31 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 03, 2014, 08:31:34 pm »

23rd Granite, Early spring of the year 200

The new lead cheesemaker, Rakust Cattenrab has given birth to a brand new baby boy.

We wish her and her family well.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 03, 2014, 09:54:25 pm »

13 Slate, Mid spring of the year 200

Today the elven diplomat has made an ultimatum toward our baron.

To my knowledge, no trees have been felled this year. Rather than request that we limit our cutting, it appears our relationship with our elven neighbors may be in peril. We have sufficient lumber to satisfy our needs for the foreseeable future.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 54