Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 54352 times)

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Villagers Wanted!)
« Reply #210 on: November 25, 2014, 09:59:09 am »

Temple/Hospital with underground burial vault 9x13

It would take up this much land

and accomodate 22 dead

hmm... If it werent for the "no community property, everything must be owned, and easily determined" rule, I'd just suggest trite roadside memorial slabs. Take up 1x1 tiles per slab, and they can be used to help control pathing.

As-is though-- some kind of mausoleum will be required. I am thinking a 5x5 above ground portion made of stone blocks, with a nice statue in the middle, and then some down-stairs in the back leading to the actual reliquary where we will stuff dwarf bones.
Giving slabs to next of kin is always an option.

That looks amazing! But don't you need Traction Benches? I know I have ZERO say in anything, as I'm not playing this bloodline, but I'm just curious.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 25, 2014, 10:14:17 am »

That looks amazing! But don't you need Traction Benches? I know I have ZERO say in anything, as I'm not playing this bloodline, but I'm just curious.
Call that display hospital. The furnishings are just to show how the space could be used effectively. There's no logical reason to have 4 surgery tables or 4 chests. You could have one room dedicated to beds, and one dedicated to storage, traction, and surgery. You could also bring the statue to the center of the temple turn it into a 1 wide hallway and double the usable hospital area.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 25, 2014, 10:17:20 am »

Call that display hospital. The furnishings are just to show how the space could be used effectively. There's no logical reason to have 4 surgery tables or 4 chests. You could have one room dedicated to beds, and one dedicated to storage, traction, and surgery. You could also bring the statue to the center of the temple turn it into a 1 wide hallway and double the usable hospital area.

Tables don't have to be adjaced to beds to do surgery now?? They will actually carry the dwarf to them?  :o
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 25, 2014, 11:49:46 am »

Tables don't have to be adjaced to beds to do surgery now?? They will actually carry the dwarf to them?  :o

I just watched it happen in 34 and that bug isn't in the dfwiki for .40

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2014, 11:55:41 am »

Yea, is seems to work that way now.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 25, 2014, 05:39:40 pm »

Holy crap!  I thought it was just part of the game that surgery tables had to be next to their beds - like a sort of gurney. (Now that I think of it, a gurney wheelbarrow for transporting the wounded would be a pretty good thing to have...)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 25, 2014, 11:42:25 pm »

I just watched it happen in 34 and that bug isn't in the dfwiki for .40

My entire world has been shattered and glued back together. Thank you kindly. This has made life a lot better for me.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 25, 2014, 11:53:01 pm »

PK-- How goes NeverTaxed?

There hasn't been a status update in awhile.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 26, 2014, 12:08:30 am »

PK wiped the sweat from his rock mug.  Whew, it was hard to be village director!  So far, it was all he could manage to review all the dwarven labours.  He had a bit of trouble checking workloads, as well, because shops were scattered.  With his own labors still enabled he didnt have time to see the real progress of the village of . . . Village yet.

But, PK was clever enough to listen to the advice of elders.  Bomrek, the oldest dwarf in the settlement, had told PK that the best leaders delegate the parts and oversee the whole.  Well, more specifically, Bomrek said:

'Ya see here, its like the puzzle boxes the kids like.  You dont solve 'em by  trying to match the shapes one ata time.  Ya gotta see them all at once to win'.

Good advice, once you dusted it off.  PK would (probably) sit down tomorrow or Thursday night and  set up  full time manager to delegate his delegations to.

Geez, was it hard to be village director, PK thought, watching the laborers sweat in the brisk spring air.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 26, 2014, 12:12:20 am »

PK-- How goes NeverTaxed?

There hasn't been a status update in awhile.

Yeah, I was wondering that myself, but I never say anything cuz I don't wanna seem impatient. -_-

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 26, 2014, 09:14:02 pm »

Ning Truthlashes- Agent of His Majesty's Tax Service

It has been one year since the unknown mason calling himself Koreg Hawkblockades insulted the service and by extension his Majesty before creating the quasi-legal tax free "Village" of Nevertaxed. Liaison Bim Glazesubtles has informed us that his suspicions regarding her presence made it difficult to obtain any damning information. Worse still she claims she drank too much wine and is not entirely certain what she told him. She did however recover the claim that his mine is producing several dozen Imperial Standard Ingots per day in silver and nearly twice that in iron and the trade goods offered indicate the presence of a skilled carpenter. This material would be indispensable for the ongoing war effort. Hawkblockades is by her account exceptionally guarded and it is unlikely that any passing inquiry will go unnoticed or that he or any number of his confederates will allow any clear evidence of illegal activity to be within her ready access next year. Instead  His Majesty has dispatched me to find the settlement and explore it covertly. It is believed that Hawkblockades has enlisted the assistance of Elf spies and any significant group would be noticed and so I must go alone. Along the way I shall endeavor to find as much information as possible on the separatist Koreg and these six who went with him. We still have no idea who these dwarves even are.

Adventurer side-story. It's also a fun little way to get out some easy character backstory. If you want to give your dwarf some background tell me and Ning will discover it.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 26, 2014, 10:29:41 pm »

Ning Truthlashes- Paladin of His Majesty's Tax Service

My first stop upon departing was the Human hamlet of Firstgrooved. I see no way Hawkblockades could have evaded detection while assembling his caravan if he operated strictly out of the fortress Tombcloistered. I expect he came here to do purchase supplies and meet with his conspirators. I asked around and it would seem that while many dwarven traders pass through there was one who came alone looking to purchase food, drink, and other supplies. Their description of him matched Hawkblockades to a t. I found a local trader to ask for more information but I immediately noticed two things. He had a curious taste in jewelry and a nasty looking weapon.

I made small talk for a while and asked about making a few purchases.I asked him where to get a few tools and a few casks of strong drink if I were in trouble with the dwarves and he said he could accommodate me. I raised a few innocuous questions about dwarves passing through and he mentioned the traders but not Hawkblockades who the rest of the village seemed to recall quite vividly for his arrogant behavior. I asked about sheep next and he said that he didn't have any livestock but he had a contact in the town of Lulledelders and he could broker a sale. I pressed my luck a by asking if anyone had bought a sheep through this contact within the last year and he became immediately suspicious. With my cover already compromised I flat out asked if he had done business with the traitor Hawkblockades and warned that his secret may be imperiled if he didn't answer truthfully.
He became recalcitrant.

He was not prepared to fight a Paladin of the MTS and I quickly landed the first blow simultaneously alerting nearby villagers. He declined to fight further.

He turned to run and I struck again.

He retreated faster than I could follow but he left a telltale trail.

I followed him for hours but he lost me. I fear his account of events may already been spreading and painting me as some sort of deranged criminal. It may no longer be safe in the village I'm fleeing to Lulledelders by night, perhaps I can persuade his contact to be more forthcoming if he believes me an emissary of the vampire and I believe I have the token to do so.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:17:57 pm by Broseph Stalin »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 27, 2014, 01:35:43 am »

I dont have much backstory in mind yet. Not enough information yet to get a good feel for how I want to spin such wild yarns just yet.

Is there any dirt on the king and his court that we should be aware of?  Anything juicy from legends mode about our civilization?  anything juicy on our regional elves, humans, and goblins we are dealing with?  that sort of thing.

at the moment, my dwarf's motivation basically boils down to being "yet anotgher worthless peasant" seeking a means of attaining distinction, since his skillset precludes being notable or landed within the framework of an already well established site.  He has dreams of creating a masterpiece, IIRC (will have to reread his bio page) and he was one of the starting 7 in this little tax revolt upstart settlement, suggesting that his finances were not very good, and had no existing land deeds or other titles that he needed to protect or had interest in; another serf working slave labor wages for the regional governor/lord, with little to no hope of reaching genuine distinction short of taking a radical chance. 

for any more meaty backstory development, i would need to be able to probe legends mode on him, his family members, etc-- to see how he fits in the world.   I will pull the savegame at some point in the next few days and do some background checking to get a good, world-consistent backstory cooking. right now itns turkeyday holiday time, and family expects family time.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2014, 07:27:02 am »

whatever.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 27, 2014, 07:43:38 am »

Goblins aren't doing so great:

They were slaughtered en mass in just about every conflict and at this point they're just being eaten by wild animals.

One of the nearest goblin civs The Ghoul of Fortunes has been completely decimated thanks in part to notable badass Rushan Springcradles. They got their first master and general in a half a century last year.

The Ambiguous Lies Completely butchered largely by humans.

The Hate of Lovers Did some SERIOUS asskicking for a while because of their demon leader but there was a major fall off and last year they were attacked dozens of times.

Our royal family is a bit unscrupulous

Our first king ruled from 1 to 103. He became obsessed with his own mortality 3 years into his reign. Luckily he died before he could find a slab. He is known to have killed a goblin woman under unknown circumstances.

Our Next ruler was his second eldest daughter who ruled from 103-185 in 106 ,two years into her reign, she began seeking immortality and like her father died before succeeding.   

Her daughter has reigned from 185 to 199(now) she has not yet tried to master life and death but it's assumed she eventually will.

The gobbos have basically been getting curbstomped for 130 years and a lot of it seems to be humans and elfs
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 54