Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 54261 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Villagers Wanted!)
« Reply #705 on: February 01, 2015, 10:43:27 pm »

Lol-- considering all the pure, premium shit that happened on my turn, I think I did pretty well.  I am surprised I got that many things constructed.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 01, 2015, 10:48:12 pm »

Oh definitely. It sounds like an absolute horror show.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 01, 2015, 11:16:02 pm »

Between you and me, I am concerned about the queen's love affair with all things of the "Menacing spikes" variety.

To keep her endless demands for making the things, we are going to have to run embelishment jobs constantly.  I set a "Decorate with bone" job at PK's bonecarving studio, but Lil' Urist McMoodyPants bombed the party when she made her artifact statuette. (Not that I am complaining too hard-- that statuette resolved a pretty significant problem with royal housing, but her camping out on the workshop meant I couldnt make anything with spikes on it.)

Anyhow, her mandates are going to cause problems with both manufacture, and exports. On the plus side, she was "Ambivalent" about delayed punishment for failing to meet the mandate, despite being furious about it.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 01, 2015, 11:20:46 pm »

Wait are you trying to fill her demand by making items that "menace with spikes?" A "menacing spike" is a trap component. Is that why she has one failed mandate and another in the red? 

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 02, 2015, 12:00:02 am »

Probably--

Derp.  "Menacing spikes" is ambiguous as a term.  Maybe I just got ruined by .40d, when nobles REALLY knew how to be bitches, and things like the kind of embellishment actually *DID* come into play like this.

If it's just a trap component, that's easier.  We can make them out of iron, then smelt them down again.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 02, 2015, 12:46:07 am »

Slum housing built of dirt and clay?  Reminds me of "rammed earth" houses.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

The Big D

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes bears for their fuzzy-wuzzyness
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 02, 2015, 02:03:42 am »

May I request endorfening? Hammerdwarf/metal worker if possible, name Wallace, Profession Slaughter Consultant
Muscly male if possible.
I just have this terrible mental picture of this beet-looking thing bursting out of someone's stomach and being like "Neeeeed phosphaaaaates"
If it's magma resistant, mod it so it's not!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 02, 2015, 10:42:58 pm »

Slum housing built of dirt and clay?  Reminds me of "rammed earth" houses.

Clay has been a staple of dark age housing in multiple different forms.

In addition to rammed earth, there is also wattle and daub, adobe, and cob.

Clay construction housing does not need to be considered "Dirty", or undesirable.  Such structures can actually be quite aesthetically attractive, and very habitable.

Modern cob construction, for instance, is gaining popularity. They can take many whimsical design motifs not possible with other building materials. (Just google image search for "Cob house" and you will see what I mean.)

Also, just to point out-- Inspection of Wierd's house will show that his own home is made from the best possible approximation of either "wattle & daub", or "pine and pug" capable of being depicted by the game. (Wooden uprights in corners, with clay based walls between.)

So, he too-- lives in a clay house.

The Big D

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes bears for their fuzzy-wuzzyness
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 03, 2015, 02:26:31 am »

Actually make that just a hammerdorf named Wallace, custom profession Bane of Skulls.
I just have this terrible mental picture of this beet-looking thing bursting out of someone's stomach and being like "Neeeeed phosphaaaaates"
If it's magma resistant, mod it so it's not!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 03, 2015, 02:30:39 am »

So, I should probably warn that my computer died a couple days ago and I am currently using a borrowed one, but that's okay, I can just download DF and the save (and have). Unfortunately, it's not liking Winrar at the moment (which I also had to download anew) but I think I can work it out.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 03, 2015, 02:54:13 pm »

Define "Died"--

What exactly happened?  Fixing computers is pretty darn easy these days.  If you had a HDD head crash or something, yeah-- you need new parts-- but "Died" usually implies a software related problem that can be fixed in a few hours.

*shrug*

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 03, 2015, 03:47:18 pm »

It shut off suddenly and refused to switch back on even after letting it sit over night, switching power supplies, switching batteries, etc. And when power supplies are plugged into it, their indicator lights turn off. So, inability to make it power on kind of halts any software-based solutions. I've sent it home to the folks to have a look at it, since one of them is good with these kind of things, and in the meantime I'm using a borrowed laptop.

I shall start today, since if I get it started with a good chunk of time, that will prevent me from procrastinating. Then I shall return to re-creating the schoolwork that I lost with the other computer, and likely update again on Thursday (or perhaps late Wednesday, but that's optimistic).

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 03, 2015, 04:02:09 pm »

I do wonder, sometimes, if the simulations we run in DF don't overtax our machines to the point of breaking more than is usual.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 03, 2015, 04:06:55 pm »

I wasn't running DF when it happened, but sometimes it does cause the comp to heat up.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 04, 2015, 02:45:29 am »

Whew, took far too long to sort out some issues but here we go. Who exactly was killed in these arranged accidents? It seems we need to change Zubb2's status in the OP...

Also, is use of the manager screen allowed?

So, it has fallen unto me. It was, perhaps, inevitable, in these delicate times. While sadly I can only call PK a true friend it seems, I also have no enemies around here. And at least I'm on friendly terms with most of the village; the few I am not I simply do not know very well yet. I think, as I often do, that life would be simpler for all of us if people were just honest about their intentions: then at least enemies might just confront each other and get it over with, rather than live so intermixed with true friends, not knowing which is which. Well, perhaps they do, but they pretend as such. No one is fooling anyone, not really, except themselves. It is in vain for them to continue this charade.

There was a time when people respected hard work, and especially those who worked hard to make something fine. And people knew how to relax and enjoy the finer things in life, too, after they reaped the fruits of their hard labor. Whatever happened to fair play? I moved out here because I thought Koreg wanted to return to the old ways, when Dwarves lived happily together, and were happy by the sweat on their brows. When people dealt fairly and openly. Now in their greed, pride, or petty grudges, they are consumed, here and everywhere, set against each other when they should not be.

I do not hate them. I just wish they would stop pretending. I just wish they would get along.

Granite 3rd

First of all, I shall correct a long-standing misunderstanding before it escalates any further. For months now, the Queen has been demanding menacing spikes, but Wierd has been fuming at the prospect of producing objects that menace with spikes. As he has been the only one to speak with her on this, I see it came about as a simple difference between their dialects, the Queen speaking in that affected manner of the deep halls. As soon as she is satisfied, we can melt down the iron for more useful purposes.

I've also ordered the construction of more cages. There are a lot of shortages around here, but, being sponsor to the wood industry, this I can help fix immediately.

Alright, I could use some help actually finding where all the workshops are. Wish I could have written a longer start but the hour is late.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 54