Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 54315 times)

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Villagers Wanted!)
« Reply #555 on: December 18, 2014, 03:59:24 pm »

I don't like that Idea, I limited it to 7 players because even when it's just 7 players and everybody knows about their upcoming turn well in advance things tend to fall apart. 

I assume the leaders of industries are all clearly marked with their professions. I feel like I should also point out that we rarely have enough notables for a functioning fortress and taking each other out would probably cause the collapse of Nevertaxed.

Mostly they are labeled in their professions (e.g. Beneviento, Rentier Clothing Industry, Evictedsaint, Metal Industry, etc). But the founders are just labeled Founder as their profession. I'd have to sift through the thread to figure out for certain which founders control which industries, although the info in the front page post is a good start.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 18, 2014, 04:10:11 pm »

Well their homes are likely adjacent to their industry.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 18, 2014, 10:57:32 pm »

doot doot doo, runnin' a town.

doot doot doo, expanding Bim's influence.

doot doot doo, centralizing power under Bim.

doot doot doo, murdering the other members of the Chamber of Commerce in a powergrab.

Say, who all is on the Chamber of Commerce in our town?  IIRC, I set Bim up to be the Head Chair for all metal-working and metal-related industries.  I guess Hawkblockades is still sitting pretty as the Head Chair for Mining...

Maolagin is in charge of the spinning and weaving industry.

Beneviento is being groomed to take over the clothing industry.

I have several candidates screened to take milling and dying industries, but they will need similar grooming. This is a long term investment strategy that likely will backfire.  Wish me luck.

I am in charge of farm plant production and processing. (Selecting crops, processing plants to barrel, Processing plants to bags, harvesting seasonal fruits from the trees in the area, and brewing booze. I own 2 stills and a farmer's workshop, along with a small stockpile for holding seeds, and several small farm plots, including 3 very very small ones in my very very small basement for producing limited quantities of "Dwarven ethnic food". Ultimately, once I have sponsored several industries and can claim my perks, my estate will have a sufficiently large basement to supply actually useful quantities of dwarven food products.)

There is a legendary pump operator that I dwarfed, who has been given ownership of the glass industry. (A cheap move on my part, but that satisfies the requirements for being notable. Glass industry was by request)

Hugo Luman is the owner of the carpentry industry.

PK owns the healthcare industry.

"Timeless Morty" owns the mortuary/church

The squad captains own their respective barracks.

The gym owner was lost during PK's tenure. I do not know if a replacement gym owner was selected.

In addition to the above, we also have heads for the following:

Warehousing
Hospitality/lodging industry
refuse disposal industry

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 20, 2014, 05:33:35 pm »

I'm with family, so I can't post for a day or two.

Rest assured, though, I'm not murdering anyone.  Anyone who dies does so through great coincidence.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 22, 2014, 01:21:11 am »

Bim wiped the sweat from her brow and straightened up, ignoring the loud and painful pops as her spine returned to an unaccustomed upright position. 

The forge had been going nonstop since she'd worked her way to the head of the Metalworking Guild so many years ago.  Since then her meddling in the day-to-day had dwindled, and her antagonization of Hawkblockades had come to a virtual standstill.  She had swords to forge, shields to weld, and helms to mend.  There was something that always needed to get done, and that left her without time to manage the Guild or sit in on the Chamber of Commerce, or really do anything beyond sit in the Hammer and Cock and smith.

She stood and - in need of some fresh air - made her way out of her humble little shop.  It wasn't anything like she thought it'd be; at this point in her life, she'd assumed she'd be sitting in a shop filled with valuable works of art, with finely crafted walls of stone that stood out from the rest of the city, with dozens of employees working under her.  She pushed the door open and spat bitterly at the ground. 

She was starting to hate this place.

The first thing she noticed as she made her way to the Plum was nearly a hundred childen rushing past her in a ramshackle group of sun-crazed dwarves.  She stood to the side and watched as they splashed through the river and disappeared from sight behind the Plum.

This city should be one of industry, not...not a day care center!!!

Frustration that had been pent up started to boil over.  Thankfully, the Plum was next door, and she didn't have to wait long for a mug of plum wine.  She sat at the table and stewed for a few minutes, going over what all was wrong.  Wrong with Nevertaxed.  Wrong with her shop.  Wrong with everything.  She took a sip and mulled over a few ideas. 

There was another forge down the street, she knew, operating under a metalsmithing license.  One of the most problematic parts of her own business was hauling the raw ore up from the mine and to her shop.  And the worst part, the absolute worst part, was how decentralized everything was.  The city had sprawled, with no regard for efficiency.  The barracks, understaffed and underfunded for a city with no walls, was far to the southwest.  Houses were spaced out with three tiles between each one.  Who ever heard of a city with roads that went around every house?!  So much wasted space, and the homelessness problem grew worse with every migrant wave. 

A few ideas began to trickle in as she ponder these problems.  She could fix this.  She was a Founder, and the head of a Guild, and a seat on the Chamber of Commerce no less!  She'd let so much power sit idly by as she worked these past few years, and it was about time she started using it.  If the past overseers wanted to let the city slide into a sprawling mess, that was fine.  But she would be different.

Some images for the start of my reign:

Here's the center of the city, with everyone standing out and around in the open for some reason.

205 dwarves...god damn, I've never gone above 80. And 83 are children! Ugh...

I get about 5 frames per second.  This...this is unbearable.  This is absolutely awful.

What I want to do:

I'm looking for "permission" to consolidate some of the houses into blocks, now that our village has grown big enough to warrant it.

I also want to sell my forge and renovate it as a barracks, to house more soldiers since we are critically understaffed in that respect.

I want to build a newer, bigger, better forge south, close to Hawkblockades mansion, complete with a wood furnace, another forge, smelter, and housing for the other metal-workers in the city.

Oh, and I also wanna renovate the Plum to be a bigger inn, and to house more dwarves.  Maybe make it multi-level?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:35:59 pm by evictedSaint »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 22, 2014, 08:23:15 pm »

Houses shouldn't touch and wood furnace should be wood industry but the rest of it seems fine.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 22, 2014, 11:34:54 pm »

it is my ultimate goal to turn the southwest square (that always seems to be the site of carnage and gore every goblin christmas) into the clothing, farming, milling, and cooking district. this would centralize production and be about as efficient as possible, given the city charter's restrictions. That's the purpose for the open space inside. ultimately, I want my home to go there with the farm plots all around it, and underground crops in the basement. surrounding that will be the clothier, weaver, dyer, miller, etc. that would keep most of the process of those industries localized. 

row housing  with 1 tile spaces between should probably get under way. hilariously, such row housing can probably be used almost like a wall as far as invaders go, by being choke points that slow thier movement.  It would probably be prudent to have a barracks for each district or quadrant (or however best aligns) of the city to maximize response times, since central location will have slow responses to the suburbs.  Some deployment trials with "patrol" orders to see how long it takes to deploy would be useful for logistical planning on how distant the barracks should be from each other to maximize rapid deployment and security coverage.

Since the rule was to not muck with other founders estates without permission, I did not build on the hammer and cock. I focused almost exclusively on getting raw materials and farming up and running.

I agree about the plague of babies though. it is one of the reasons I am scrambling to get clothing up and running with a surplus. we dont need naked kid dwarves causing an emotional downward spiral. They are also basically worthless mouths. I suppose they can help work the fields for harvests, but other than that.. well, you can put them to work demolishing houses to rebuild as tract housing in a denser configuration.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 23, 2014, 12:54:03 am »

The kiddies are our greatest asset and likely demise.  Its a good thing goblin thieves havent shown up yet
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 23, 2014, 01:23:21 am »

Alright! So the game crashed in early winter and I lost all of my progress, and I honestly can't bring myself to replay another year at 5 frames per second.  I'm sorry for wasting your time, everybody, I really am.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 23, 2014, 01:39:38 pm »

Aw :(

Note to everyone: enable "seasonal backups" in the init
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 23, 2014, 04:39:12 pm »

I just make it a habit to save when shit gets real, like I did when the invaders came. It's just a safety net against crashy crashy. I also savescum the old save before saving again, just in case it borks while saving.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 24, 2014, 11:59:19 am »

If it's any consolation, literally nothing happened.  I spent 5 hours watching the game crawl along at 7 frames per second.  I built a few houses, sold my forge to the owner of the Pickled Plum and renovated it into a dormitory (because we have a crippling homelessness problem in Nevertaxed), and built a new forge to the south.  I even put a window in Bim's room, so she could flip Hawkblockades off every morning from her bed.

We didn't get attacked.  The werecreature never did anything. And the elven and human caravans didn't have anything remarkable for sale.  It was a dull, boring year and I can't bring myself to redo my lost progress.  I'm sorry guys.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 26, 2014, 01:43:15 pm »

I urge you (shamelessly) to look at a fortress of mine based on a similar idea. Perhaps you get an idea or two about which way you want to go with your fort. http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12356-fortressblew

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 26, 2014, 03:57:06 pm »

If I'm not taking the turn for Angelfear, I can do this next week. Perhaps even getting started in the car on the way down.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 27, 2014, 09:01:27 am »

Anyone who hasn't taken their turn can take the save.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 54