Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 54369 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Villagers Wanted!)
« Reply #285 on: December 02, 2014, 08:50:01 am »

Go over the military screen, reequip the soldiers and activate their training.  And either get Hugo some swuadmates or get him out of the military and assign him woodcutting so he will keep an axe around.

ight now we should have enough metal armor to equip 15 dwarves.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 02, 2014, 11:08:38 am »

I'd prefer to get a chance to do some axing, so leave my dwarf in if you can.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 02, 2014, 05:29:52 pm »

Ok, so-- did Pencil_art take his turn?

I see nothing to the effect, but did see that he popped in to ask how we wanted to proceed.
Any news, or should I roll with the save?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 02, 2014, 05:30:46 pm »

All yours.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 02, 2014, 06:10:08 pm »

Yeah. I don't particularly feel like taking my turn yet, so go ahead. :)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 02, 2014, 06:14:59 pm »

It will be done...

One of the benefits of having been a genuine connoisseur of fine liquor and community entertainment in his youth, was being able to hold liquor.
While it hadn't been a particularly wonderful day, by any stretch, the curious questions being asked by the stranger who had interviewed him
that day were not the normal fare he was used to.  Again, parties and drinking, (and all the stories, both good and bad that came with them) were very much his "thing", and he knew when he was being led on about something.  Rather than press, he just nodded into his mug of plum brandy as the stranger spun his wild yarns about the cold, and goblin attacks, but it was the recurring questioning about Koreg, his "Fearless leader", that had really made him take notice. Sitting in the plum, and having a nice meal of giant kiwi and potatoes to go with his evening drink, he answered his interrogator as honestly as possible, since he truly did not know anything about Koreg's past, only that he had managed to swing the financial resources to secure all the needed investitures to make NeverTaxed's founding possible-- A feat that he himself knew he could never have accomplished, certainly not with HIS history of chronic debts-- and that when an opportunity to try to start fresh was offered, he jumped on it. Came with little more than the clothes on his back, and his tattered and stained certificates of skill assessment bearing the cursed mountainhome's seal of authenticity, and off he went.  His curious dinner companion had seemed satisfied with this answer, and didnt press further, but it was apparent that he was more than he let on, and the .. how to say it.. Tonality? of the dwarf's voice did not match with a lay farm hand of country origin-- He had become all too familiar with the boistrous pontificating prattle of "State officials", as they all had a certain method of invoking the dwarven language that set him particularly on edge.  That Koreg had lacked this unsettling mannerism when they first met, and instead treated him coarsely and with the manner of a lay commoner had actually helped convince him to come on this expedition in the first place.  His Majesty's Royal tax service was quite aggressive in setting up "Sting" operations, and being a chronic debtor himself, had come through a number of close scrapes over the years, dodging their "Official tax collection public servants"-- As if they actually served the public and not themselves. ---Then of course, there was the way this stranger carried himself. Fully erect, and with a spring in his step that suggested military training-- again, not something that fit with his supposed story of being a simple farmer.

Wierd treated him with courtesy and due respect owed to any fellow dwarf laborer all the same, and as he had come to learn over the years, telling fanciful stories backfired more often than not, he answered as honestly and truthfully as possible despite the "leading" nature of his questioner, and his unsettling mannerisms.  When he had finished, and his drinking companion had been satisfied in his curiosities, he returned home and waited there in the long hours until he was certain that the rest of the village had fully turned in, and he felt his inquisitor had fully given up on him as a source of information-- Not like he had any to give anyway. That's the beauty of truly not knowing-- But this clearly stank of some manner of interrogation, official or otherwise.  It always irked him that public officials like this considered the lay citizenry so obtusely stupid that they couldnt spot a spook of "His Majesty's" when they were so shamelessly transparent.  Certain that said spook had given up on him, he summoned up his resolve, and crept out of his curious little wooden home, and down the trampled grass track to Koreg's trite little manner house.  Without how paranoid that old crank was, he would surely want to know of the recent encounter. Koreg seemed to always be jumping at shadows, and truth be told, some devilish part of himself reveled in the thought of giving "Fearless leader" just one more thing to be jumping at.  Still, Discretion is the greater part of valor-- or so the human's say.  When dealing with skulking slime like His Majesty's Tax Service, one has to be especially discrete.

Pulling the hood over his flaxen haired head so that the light of the moon overhead would not catch it and give him away, he crept down the lane and around to the door of the manor house that was clearly the physical manifestation of Fearless Leader's overcompesated ego, and gently tapped against the door...

Giving you some play room Broseph; Gotta give some explanation for passing the buck my way and skipping 3 other players' turns.  Just giving you an opportunity to get some RP in before I embark on murderizing the Baron. :D

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:43:36 pm by wierd »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 02, 2014, 06:20:24 pm »

any chance you can keep the baron alive for another year, so fun? >.<
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 02, 2014, 06:27:54 pm »

I don't think that's a good idea and it wouldn't fit with the narrative.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 02, 2014, 06:53:49 pm »

Indeed, but first we have to get everything rolling to create the setup. 

I am thinking up some very devilish things for our beloved baron, "Cask of amontillado" style.  Wierd *IS* the brewer, after all. :D This would definitely finger the baron as a vampire, when he fails to die after being walled in--  and could lead to wierd being very much made fully aware of MTS's evil plans to destroy NeverTaxed, and his subsequent "very deep involvement" with the conspiracy.

His conversation with Koreg had been short, hushed, and to the point.  It was painfully clear that Koreg had been expecting agents of the MTS to come strolling in, and right now, with the rumors about our recently elected mayor having sold us out by filing to make NeverTaxed into his own private property and all of us into his unwilling wageslave subjects-- A heinous plot that fearless leader produced written and sealed official documentation from the royal court system about-- that things of this nature were sure to increase in the coming months and years, as his majesty's tax agents tried to look for any exploitable loophole to come barging in and remove our autonomy.  "The thing is," he remembered Koreg telling him "Is that this new 'baron' has been witnessed by no less than 5 of our people drinking the blood of no less than 3 victims. If we can find solid evidence of this..."  Koreg had not finished the sentence, but his stern, peircing gaze through the light of the single candle lit in his cellar finished it for him.   "I dont suppose you know that his Majesty and his family have been involved in very shady dealings concerning the undead, vampires, and other dark things.."  It was of course, fairly common knowledge that let monarchy had a "reputation"-- one which his majesty's officials were more than quick to stamp out-- quite literally, TOO quick--  ".. Get this for me, and you will be richly compensated."

That had been nearly an hour ago.  The arrangement, such as it was-- was to subtly investigate the new 'baron', and when he fully implicated the king in his dark dealings, quietly arrange for him to go missing.   To accomplish this end, he had been entrusted with one year's time in an increased managerial position.

At the same time that he would be investigating the Mayor, he would also be building a strong agrarian center for NeverTaxed, such that the hamlet would be better able to appropriate large sums of raw materials from its trade partners before his majesty's tax service could impose any embargos or restrictions, or otherwise enact sanction to starve them out. 

Wierd wasnt too sure about assassination at this point, but the threat to NeverTaxed showed all the signs of being set up for slaughter by the agents of his majesty's "Public servants"-- and he wasn't about to go down without putting up at least some kind of a fight; he had too much invested here to see what little he had get taken from him, before being clapped in irons for tax evasion.  Oh no.  This year, NeverTaxed would have such raw resources at its disposal as to draw every eye in every court-- He would see to it personally--- Being a career layabout, he had learned every possible way to get things done in a hurry, and he intended to make full use of that knowledge.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 07:24:10 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 02, 2014, 07:45:00 pm »

Wierd scrabbled in the curious looking ledger that had been provided to him the next morning after a short commencement speech from Koreg announcing that he would be undertaking an increased set of responsibilities to ensure a viable agricultural system here in nevertaxed.  He had been informed in private that he was to keep an "official record" of all activities.

He hated doing paperwork. Hated it almost as much as he hated paying his bills-- but in this case, it was a necessary evil.  'Those damned public officials do so love their accounts and balances-- The more legitimate and complete these papers and accounts appear, the less they will have to seek our heads with..' he thought to himself wryly.  Setting the quill to the parchment, he began scrabbling.

5th Granite, early spring of the year 200.

I have come under appointment by our village administrator to overcome a number of shortcomings in our ability to produce suitable volumes of fresh produce and valuable botanical feedstocks for our clothing, milling, and dying industries. Over the past two years of administration in the village of NeverTaxed, we have relied nearly exclusively upon the providence of nature to supply us with the food and alcohol staples we need to keep body and soul together here out in the open, but as our settlement attracts additional members, and our population grows, we are in desperate need of securing more reliable and stable sources of these resources, lest our efforts here falter.

He set the quill down.  Writing in such puffed up language was difficult for him.  Oh, how he hated legal paperwork.  The upper circles of dwarven society always had these little games they played in public and private to make themselves feel important, and it made him sick.

He picked the quill back up again.

To this effect, I have started this day to evaluate all current members of the fortress fit and able to perform agricultural labor for assignment of official responsibilities, duties, land endowments, and industrial function as each member is best suited and as I am officially empowered by the village administrator to carry out in the performance of my new responsibilities as minister of agricultural affairs.

Writing that last bit made him get a sour stomach. He would need to down a whole barrel of strong spirit to settle it, he was sure.

Applications and evaluations of all candidates are to begin immediately, and all applicants will be graded fairly, and presented with labors appropriate to their assessed skills.  I expect it shall take little more than a day or two to fully evaluate all of our current residents, and no more than two weeks time to begin the initial civil blueprints for land allocations.  It is with high hopes that I respectfully attest that we should be able to achieve some level of industrial output within one season's time,  and that by the end of this year's calendar, a fully self-sufficient and viable agricultural sector should be flourishing here in nevertaxed.

No matter how "confident" he made himself appear on such official reports, he couldn't help but have an all too familiar sense of forboding and fear that things just would not end up as he had planned.  Never the less, the best way to stick it to his majesty at this point, was to succeed beyond all reasonable expectation, even if it killed him.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 02, 2014, 08:23:38 pm »

Granite?

I haven't left my home in days. There's been "tension" ,I suppose that's the best way to put it, since the Baron took his seat. That bloodsucking bastard is going to let the MTS and the Tame Gears waltz right in. I had several plans for dealing with this eventuality but I hadn't shared any of them with the others, I suppose the present situation is partially my fault.

I'm avoiding contact with him. I met quite a few of his kind, nobles and vampires both, before I left the order. I don't think he's one of them but I'd rather not be recognized. The queen has been rather tight lipped about her mother and grandfather's relationship with the occult or the sheer number of necromancers and vampires who earned and retain positions of influence. If this baron provides a concrete link to both the royal family and the unliving and he were to disappear we would have them over a barrel- at least on this front. To press the issue of the baron's failure to follow through with his promise to incorporate Nevertaxed would bring unwanted attention to his identity. They would keep coming after us, possibly more aggressively, but this tactic at least would be lost to them.

There was a rather odd succession battle where everyone argued that they shouldn't be the ones to lead us. If this defense fails it's inevitable that the apparent leader of our group will be dealt with harshly. I'd do it myself, If we're caught I'm destined to be hammered for my role anyway, but as long as the Baron lives I cannot move freely. I spoke to Wierd privately and he will publicly be tasked with improving our agricultural situation to prepare for our incorporation but privately he will be the architect responsible for the salvation of Nevertaxed.

I came here to build an empire, to stop vying for the favor of the rich and powerful and become one myself, to start a family and to be a person who a family could be proud of. I'm writing this alone in the dark cowering in the dank basement of the stately manor that's become my prison. A stupider dwarf would see something in that.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 02, 2014, 08:50:29 pm »

6th Granite, Early spring of the year 200
Ledger of the minister of agricultural affairs

Early evaluation of our agrarian engineers is nearing completion, and an initial assessment is as follows:
(It should be pointed out that citizenry of our village that have not self-identified as posessing or favoring agrarian skillsets are omitted for brevity.)

--Vutok Ducimurol, One of the initial founders of NeverTaxed
Expert brewer
Adequate wood cutter
Proficient Thresher (rusty)
Skilled cook

--Endok Ingizgemur, Farmer, Migrant
Dabbling discipline skill
Novice cheesemaker, dyer, and spinner

--Lokum Munestlolor, "Soldier"
Dabbling miner
novice thresher, cheesemaker, and beekeeper

--Udil Onulducim, Farmer, Migrant
Novice butcher, presser, and beekeeper

--Ast Idenmuzish, Brewer
Competent hammerdwarf
Novice shield user, armor user, discipline, observer, dodger, and tanner.
Talented brewer
novice miller

--Ezum Uruszas
Talented cook
Novice Dyer
Novice beekeeper

--Wierd Leromlolok, Minister of Agricultural Affairs
Grandmaster Herbalist
Adequate brewer
proficient potter

--Kib Asobstakud, Herbalist
Competent Marksdwarf
Adequate archer, ambusher
Adept herbalist
novice dodger, animal trainer, animal caretaker, cheesemaker, beekeeper

--Rakust Cattenrab, Herbalist
Competent Herbalist
Novice dyer and spinner

--Id Vushoddom, Herbalist
Competent Marksdwarf
Novice shield user, armor user, discipline, observer, climber and dodger
Great tracker
Adequate herbalist

--Zaneg Omeriden, Herbalist
Competent Marksdwarf
Adequate archer
Competent herbalist
Novice dodger, animal caretaker, trapper, miller, beekeeper and ambusher

--Kadol Athelkanzud, Herbalist
Adequate herbalist
Novice grower and dyer

--Sigun Koganluslem, Herbalist
Competent Herbalist

--Ral Koganlitast, Milker
Adequate milker

--Asmel Usenvutok, Baron of NeverTaxed (For completeness)
Competent Macedwarf
novice shield user, armor user, disciplinarian, observer, dodger, thresher, cheesemaker and tanner
Great miller

--Iton Kilrudfeb, Shearer
Adequate shearer

--Rakust Eshtanmokez, Spinner
Adequate spinner
Novice butcher and cheesemaker

--Erush Endokdalzat, Spinner
Adequate wound dresser
Adequate bone doctor
Competent spinner

--Bembul Olongebar, Spinner
Adequate spinner

--Onul Thocitbim, Soldier
Proficient axedwarf, disciplinarian, and fighter
Legendary tanner
Proficient wood burner
novice thresher, butcher, and dyer.

--Litast Athelrithar, Tanner
Adequate tanner
Novice woodcrafter, potter, and waxworker

--Kol Thestarlor, Tanner
Adequate tanner

--Kadol Rithdodok, Woodburner
Talented woodburner
Adequate potash maker

--Shorast Okilurvad, woodburner
Skilled woodburner

I shall evaluate all listed candidates for industrial assignments in the coming days.

He set down the quill.  He was thankful that the list of candidates did not include the entire village population, else he would have little time to do anything else but do background checks, skill evaluations, and plan the basic needs of many sorely needed industries.

As it stood though, several of his group appeared to be overlapping with an earlier initiative by the good doctor PK to establish some local militia force. Sadly, it appeared that the good doctor had taken several of the more talented laborers and incorporated them into this group.  Having pursued many career paths himself over the years, he knew that one simply could not master two disciplines without at least one suffering for time.  Either there would be lacklustre workers in vital industrial sectors, or they would be lacklustre military assets.  He would set those with obvious military skills aside from normal candidacy, regardless of their other qualifications, and bring the issue up with Koreg later.

In the mean time, he looked over the list a second time.  They were painfully overstocked on cheesemakers and tanners, and woefully understocked on proper planters.  There was a painful lack of weavers, and a complete lack of clothiers.  He would have to expand his investigations to include character references to set about placement of individuals into vocations they had not even the slightest bit of training to do--- He grimmaced. He was starting to SOUND like one of those gods damned "public servants" he hated so much.  He wished there was a supply of soap to wash with, as this work made him feel more dirty than a month of hard foraging in a festering swamp bottom looking for bloated tubers and kobold bulbs.

He reminded himself that he had to stay on-task, and finish all this logistical hogswallop before he could get down to his TRUE task-- the detailed investigation of the self-appointed 'baron of nevertaxed'. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:52:33 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 02, 2014, 10:12:07 pm »

This would be a LOT easier to do with Therapist.  (I am doing this all by hand, and without any of the "suggestions" from therapist.)

So far, I would suggest that Erush Endokdalzat be given the title of "Head Nurse", as he has useful levels of skill in wound dressing and bone doctoring, which are hard skills to level, despite the fact that he is the most skilled spinner in the list of candidates. A skilled nurse is more valuable than a skilled spinner, IMO-- especially with our village in the open like this.

It looks like PK picked cheesemakers to join the military without looking at their other skills for cross reference for candidacy. (Oh, those poor poor cheesemakers..)
The baron also has military skills. (eep!)

Here's a basic breakdown based on industry, without any disqualifications for being in multiple industries.
I will filter based on highest proficiency for each industry and strike from other industrial categories, to get the most skilled candidates in each industry.

The leftovers will be evaluated based on preferences and bio traits to fill industries with no candidates.

**Brewer
Vutok Ducimurol (expert)
Wierd Leromlolok (Adequate)
Ast Idenmuzish(Talented, disqualified-military)

**Planter
Kadol Athelkanzud, novice

**cheese maker
Endok Ingizgemur (novice)
Lokum Munestlolor(Novice, disqualified-military)
Kib Asobstakud(Novice, disqualified-military)
Asmel Usenvutok(Novice, disqualified-BARON!)
Rakust Eshtanmokez(Novice)

**milker
Ral Koganlitast, adequate

**shearer
Iton Kilrudfeb, adequate

**Thresher
Vutok Ducimurol, proficient
Lokum Munestlolor, novice (disqualified-soldier)
Asmel Usenvutok, novice (Disqualified-BARON!)
Onul Thocitbim, novice (disqualified-soldier)

**Spinner
Endok Ingizgemur, novice
Rakust Cattenrab, novice
Rakust Eshtanmokez, adequate
Erush Endokdalzat, competent
Bembul Olongebar, adequate

**Weaver
(no candidates)

**Clothier
(no candidates)

**Dyer
Endok Ingizgemur, novice
Ezum Uruszas, novice
Onul Thocitbim, novice (Disqualified--soldier)

**Cook
Vutok Ducimurol, skilled
Ezum Uruszas, talented

**Tanner
Ast Idenmuzish, novice (Disqualified-military)
Asmel Usenvutok, novice (Disqualified-BARON!)
Onul Thocitbim, legendary (Disqualified-military)
Litast Athelrithar, adequate
Kol Thestarlor, adequate

**Butcher
Udil Onulducim, novice
Rakust Eshtanmokez, novice
Onul Thocitbim, novice (Disqualified-soldier)

**bee keeper
Lokum Munestlolor, novice (Disqualified-soldier)
Udil Onulducim, novice
Ezum Uruszas, novice
Kib Asobstakud, novice
Zaneg Omeriden, novice

**Wax Worker
Litast Athelrithar, novice

**presser
Udil Onulducim, novice

**Miller
Ast Idenmuzish, novice
Zaneg Omeriden, novice

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 02, 2014, 10:15:52 pm »

i sent you a pm with the link to the updated therapist  less than 10DLs!

Great Job!!
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 02, 2014, 10:39:51 pm »

After the initial round of eliminations, here's the breakdown.

**Brewer
Wierd Leromlolok (Adequate)

**Planter

**cheese maker
Rakust Eshtanmokez(Novice)

**milker
Ral Koganlitast, adequate

**shearer
Iton Kilrudfeb, adequate

**Thresher
Vutok Ducimurol, proficient

**Spinner
Endok Ingizgemur, novice
Rakust Cattenrab, novice
Erush Endokdalzat, competent
Bembul Olongebar, adequate

**Weaver
(no candidates)

**Clothier
(no candidates)

**Dyer
(no candidate)

**Cook
Ezum Uruszas, talented

**Tanner
Kol Thestarlor, adequate

**Butcher
Udil Onulducim, novice

**bee keeper
Kib Asobstakud, novice

**Wax Worker
Litast Athelrithar, novice

**presser
(no candidate)

**Miller
Ast Idenmuzish, novice
Zaneg Omeriden, novice

We have 3 extra spinners, and a spare miller-- 4 bodies
We have 4 industries without candidates. Works out great.  I will now investigate the bio pages of our 4 dwarves to help place them.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 54