Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 54360 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Villagers Wanted!)
« Reply #255 on: November 30, 2014, 09:03:33 pm »

There's really nothing to discover, the founding seven spring into existence fully formed. This is all just a fun little way of establishing character background. I had a very loose idea of who Koreg should be based on his description (no respect for the law, hates people with power, hotheaded, pragmatic) and the rest of it is just explanations for things that happened. I brought a silver statue because he likes silver and it happened to be of a titan beast so I decided he should be a reluctant idol worshipper. His name isn't traditionally dwarven and he he has no known parents so I decided he changed his identity. The first trader I came across was a vampire so I decided that was relevant and when I stumbled upon the death worshipers I worked that in too.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 30, 2014, 09:59:31 pm »

ahh, I had forgotten that the starting 7 are conjured on the spot.  I will need to look over his bio page again, and think on it.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 30, 2014, 10:12:29 pm »

Ning Truthlashes- Paladin of His Majesty's Tax Service

I've crossed the cyclopean tundra but the snow hasn't broken. I was carefully crossing a frozen river when I spotted a truly massive owl. It's large size must be the result of the freak weather phenomena that Hawkblockades mentioned. This ancient and savage wilderness would be a perfect place for a tax evading forest titan cult to set up shop. 

Pressing on I came across a familiar face. Bim Glazesubtles, the Outpost Liaison was leaving as I arrived. I approached her cautiously we had a private rendevouz just south of Silverplum Mine.

I asked her for any more information and she stated simply that Hawkblockades was a “pleasure” to speak with and that his “Village” (it troubles me that she used this word) traded a large sum of weapons to her caravan. I fear she may not appreciate exactly how dangerous it is for these dwarves to be producing weapons without guild certified smiths or how damaging it is to our economy for them to be producing these things tax free. She went on to say that one of their residents , a remarkably young looking notable who has had a relationship with the royal family for nearly two hundred years, has accepted a position as baron thereby ceding their previous unincorporated protections.
   Nevertheless I informed her of Hawkblockades history and gave her the jewelry collected from the vampire and the High Grave as evidence. She was concerned that my methods were outside the norm. I was quick to point out that the vampire attacked me and the High Grave was a severe violator and would not be found buried in the snow until spring. I also took the opportunity to trade clothes, she was wearing simple pants a shirt and a hood that were much less attention getting than my gorlak leather cloak pants and shirt. It's a shame to see Mezbuths craftsmanship go but for my next mission I'll need to avoid attention at all costs.
   I skulked around and picked the lock to the warehouse. It's disgusting. Worse than Lulledelders. Barrels and barrels of alcohol and food produced in unlicensed stills and subject to no regulation. They seem to harvest plants and fruit from the wilderness and make use of them without licensed facilities. I identified the smoke of a forge and a wood furnace and the remaining pillar I identified as that of a distillery.
   It's completely unacceptable. It's been slapped together in a basement of one of the residences and it doesn't meet any of the building codes established for stills of this size and there are no logs of it's output. None of it is within the necessary guidelines, they are making no effort to comply with the laws of the Tame Gears and this leads me to believe the Revered Strangers have no intention of allowing Nevertaxed becoming a proper barony. I need to figure out what they're doing up here and find some way of taking them down when the baron's efforts fail. What I've found on Hawkblockades leads me to believe he's likely to search out some sort of loophole to prevent the incorporation. I can't determine the motives of Hawkblockades without more evidence and the best way to do that is to investigate the other Revered Strangers. First on the list is the one responsible for keeping them all supplied with food and drink, the farmer “Wierd.”

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 01, 2014, 12:31:04 am »

I'll think up something tomorrow, then pm it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 01, 2014, 12:50:59 am »

Pencil_Art is skipped EvictedSaint is up.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 01, 2014, 02:00:43 am »

Yay.  Re-link me to the save, please

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 01, 2014, 03:18:33 am »

Pencil_Art is skipped EvictedSaint is up.

Yup. Sorry about not posting. I have been quite busy lately.  :(

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 01, 2014, 01:28:55 pm »

Ok, I am reviewing my dwarf to conjure backstory.

Digging through his bio, several conflictory and/or neurosis inducing traits stand out.

1) Holds craftsdwarfmanship, artwork, martial prowess, and mercantilism (etc) in high esteem + Dreams of mastering a skill
-vs- Acts with little determination or confidence + Tends to feel discouraged + quick to form negative views

2) Greatly values friendships as a high ideal and takes delight in helping others +Finds ideas of independence and freedom somewhat foolish
-vs- takes gifts and help with little gratitude + forms only tenuous emotional bonds + not particularly interested in what others think of him + does not find cooperation valuable

3)  Is an herbalist and farmer in a surface-world village setting + Likes working outdoors
-vs- Finds nature disturbing

In short, I think my dwarf is a walking pile of neurosies, hidden under a mask of joviality. May harbor a manic-depressive type behavioral pattern.  May even be a jeckel and hyde type personality!

He bites his fingernails when he is feeling disturbed, but has an otherwise calm and friendly demeanor, hiding a troubled mind underneath.
He longs to break free of his demons concerning his self-confidence and self-worth by mastering a skill, but sabotages himself by acting without confidence or determination (and as such, success is ever elusive). 

Strikes me as the type that "Ran from home" to try to escape his "old self" and "start new"-- but failing to realize that "everywhere you go, there you are."  (You can never escape from your own sabotage.)  Saw the prospect of NeverTaxed as a possible place to find success, free from outside oppressive factors-- saw the oppression of the mountainhome as the source of his frustrations and failures; a kind of projecting his failures onto a boogeyman, rather than accepting responsibility for his own failures of character.  Escaping the mountainhome let him escape that boogeyman, but again-- he did not escape from himself.

The kind of person who always puts things off, so they never get done, but dreams of having a good life with respect from peers. Hides behind apathy to protect their psyche from their repeated failures.

Broseph's recent backstory post about his "Discount liquor" being made in a lacklustre fashion perfectly aligns with this mental archetype I have now. 

I'll think about this some more to try and produce a good backstory.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 01, 2014, 01:54:42 pm »

Wierd sat down another basket of fruit.  Spending all day, every day, picking fruit off trees and digging through the dirt for roots, seeds and berries gave him lots of time to think about things. If only the things he thought about weren't so negative.  Despite living here for nearly 2 years now, free from the oppression of the mountainhome, all that he had managed to get for himself was lots of hard work. Endless hard work out in the sun, and the rain, and the snow.  Well, he supposed he had earned a house of his own-- a quaint, strange thing made of wood, but still.  There was a never ending demand for food and liquor, and he still hadn't gotten any closer to mastering any skills. Around him, people who had started this village with him were making mastercrafts left and right. Hugo, making masterwork doors, beds, barrels, and the like-- ES, making beautiful works of art in fine metal.. But him?  Another day, another basket of fruit, another tub of fruit must waiting to be fed into the distillery.  Day in... Day out...  It was true that he wasn't having to follow the oppressive rules and regulations of the mountainhome, which was good-- and didnt have to pay the taxes (as yet-- he had heard that the new mayor had become a baron after the last trade liason left-- If true, it would only be a matter of time before the obscenities of the mountainhome with the puffery of the beaurocrats running roughshod over everything came here to NeverTaxed, and NeverTaxed became ForeverTaxed instead. There was also rumor that the new baron was also a bloodsucking vampire. Par for the course in his mind. It seemed only natural that those aligned with sucking the life away from everyone else figuratively to enrich themselves, would stoop so low as to engage in the visceral practice as well.) but still, it seemed he never had time to make that ceramics shop he had been planning to make. It always seemed like something was getting in his way-- stopping him from making his own masterworks. Maybe someday he would become possessed of some wild fancy, and craft his masterpiece like they did in legends. But who was he fooling?

Dropping the basket to the rough wooden floor, he placed a fist into the small of his back, and straightened. This was exhausting labor, and frought with little reward.  But still, he liked that everyone had plenty to eat, and that his liquor had helped secure some needed essentials from the trade liason this year.

He just hoped that here in NeverTaxed, his extensive debts never came back to haunt him.  So far, he had managed to avoid any such thing, and it was true that he had never held a more essential role in a community before-- which came with certain financial perks-- but he still was always so tired, and couldnt take the time to go have a party like he did back in his youth... Oh, those were the days...

On the other hand, in the past year or so, there had been several migrants that had showed up that were good with farming, and his senior position had afforded him some leverage there. He guessed it really did pay to invest early, and take chances.  If he played his cards right, he could manage the farm operations and stop having to break his own back picking fruit day in-day out. (When he wasnt having to press and ferment the things.)

Truth be told, he actually found nature disturbing; all those cute looking things all poised to gobble each other up, like elves on a battlefield. ... Freaky things, those elves.  all mirth and song, right up until they slip a big wooden spike in you, and serve rotisserie dwarf.  That kind of thing was what really disturbed him the most about this above ground "nature". It lacked the orderly and sensible values he cherished, instead embracing such sick and twisted horrors as "deadly cuteness", and the recently revealed reality of those terrible giant owls.  Everything ready to eat everything else without a moment's hesitation, and those sick elves in the midst of it all, dancing gayly and singing their songs of revelry... Worshiping trees, and doing gods know what else when nobody's around.  Sick. 

Straightening out, then sitting down with the peeler, he began his daily routine of processing the fruit into must. Then later, he would take the must that had matured and feed it into the still, or bottle it up into casks for aging.

So much time to think. So little time to act, and all the while, the gulf between he and his peer seemed to be growing ever wider. 

'Like it matters.' he muttered to himself. 'who cares what they think anyway.'
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:33:32 pm by wierd »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 01, 2014, 02:25:17 pm »

With my upcoming exams, I'm afraid I simply don't have time to take a turn atm.  Pencil Art is welcome to take his skipped turn, if he still wants to.

Would you kindly bump me down to the bottom of the waitlist, please?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 01, 2014, 02:28:22 pm »

So.  I will prepare the elven response to the Baron of  Nevertaxed, if you'l  dont mind.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 01, 2014, 02:33:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maybe Gobbos inbound
o.o
PKs DF Mod!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 01, 2014, 02:34:23 pm »

Pencil_Art or HugoLuman, whoever takes it first.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2014, 02:35:32 pm »

Yup.

Either Pencil_art or Hugo gets to go, whoever claims it first.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 54