Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should founders be rewarded with tiles to build on?

Founders should have a fixed number of useable tiles to own!
- 5 (29.4%)
Founders should be awarded more tiles to build on by popular consensus!
- 6 (35.3%)
No hard limits, just be reasonable!
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 54

Author Topic: Nevertaxed: Dwarven Village Bloodline (Overseers Needed!)  (Read 54303 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed: Farming Village Bloodline (One Free Spot!)
« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2014, 01:28:54 am »

Hawkblockades seems awfully worried about that owl. If it shows up again, maybe Pencil_Art and I should go put it out of his misery. Sometimes I fear the poor fellow's getting a bit odd out here.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2014, 01:38:15 am »

There is no owl

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Nevertaxed-Koreg First Year
« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2014, 01:55:07 am »

Seventh Journal Entry of Koreg Hawkblockades Hematite 14

Good news all around. I was initially shocked by the display of the cherry trees shedding their brightly colored petals but they brought with them the ripening of the plums. I personally consumed one and found it both pleasantly sweet and fantastically tart, it will make excellent wine. Pencil_Art also reported that he finally got through the deep layers of dirt and is now digging conglomorate. This conglomerate will come to build Lucrekept.

Eighth Journal Entry of Koreg Hawkblockades Malachite 7

Things continue to go well. Ten migrants showed up this morning bringing with them a baby lama a lamb a water Buffalo calf and a rooster chick. I didn't expect so many mouths to feed so quickly but I also didn't expect so many helping hands. It would seem the promise of Nevertaxed is exactly as tempting as I thought it would be. We'll need a lot of help to bring in the plumb harvest and finish setting up the housing. Pencil-Art reports nothing but I'm certain there is metal right beneath our feet and we'll soon have the metal industry up and running and once it is I will demand FIFTEEN TIMES the market price for every piece of ore that comes out of the ground until she closes shop or evictedSaint admits that the Elder Owl was real!

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:00:08 am by Broseph Stalin »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nevertaxed-Koreg First Year
« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2014, 02:21:32 am »

"Whew!  That's the last batch of plums!"  Saint set down her basket, and the fruit thumped on the earthen floor.  The dwarf behind the still smiled and nodded towards the barrel waiting by the stairs.  Exchanging the plums for the barrel, she hauled it up the stairs and rolled it to the stockpile.  Other dwarves passed by, some stopping to take a drink, others hauling various resources to various stockpiles.  "I think I'll take a break," Saint announced to no one in particular.  No one payed her any heed, and she slipped away into the woods unseen.

"Ah...there you are."

A ways away from the village, in the dense, unexplored woods where no one would go, Saint stopped before a pile of loosely arranged fallen branches.  It took her just a minute to clear the debris away, but when she did, her greatest contraption to date was revealed.

A giant, wooden owl emerged from beneath the branches.  It'd taken her only a couple days to build, and in the light it wouldn't have fooled even the most gullible of children, but in the dark it was more than enough to push a deranged dwarf all that closer to the edge of insanity.  Saint walked around to the back of the owl and gave it a push, and the entire contraption creaked forward on giant wooden wagon wheels.  It'd be getting dark soon, and Hawkblockades would soon be the only one out and about, still staking out tracts of land with broken twigs.  Saint gave an experimental "HOOT" into the megaphone mounted on the back, and it echoed through the woods as though it were a real, living leviathan owl.  She took care to keep her laughs from being amplified, then made her way towards the village.  She'd push it around a bit on the outer edge of the village, just long enough to work Hawkblockades into a frenzy.  Then she'd wheel it back and hide it once again.

Briefly, Saint wondered if what she was doing was wrong.  Clearly, it was working the poor man into a tizzy, and his leadership was faltering as a result.  She dismissed the idea immediately.  Hawkblockades was a terrible leader, and forcing him to resign would be a boon to everyone.  And if she stepped up to meet the resulting power vacuum, so what?  She was the Blacksmith.  Even if this was a "Village", they were still dwarves, and the leader should be a member of the most noble of dwarven professions.  Mark her words, within three years, Saint would be the leader of this little town.  She gave another hoot and the woods echoed.  Far in the distance, she heard an infuriated scream. 

Ooooh yes, things were looking up for the Blacksmith.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2014, 04:22:23 am »

P.S. Please put a wood furnace on the roof of my house, so that I can start getting charcoal ready for my metal industry.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2014, 07:05:36 am »

Wierd, conflicted as always, stretched his back after another long day of picking (and picking up) plums. He wondered when, if ever, he would get the time to wander through the woods and glens to look for novel crop plants to return to the For--- Village. "Village", he reminded himself.  "Fortress" was so deeply distilled into the dwarven mind, much like a fine liquor, that it was difficult to not find everyone slipping on it.  The migrants especially used the word, to the dismay of a certain expedition leader (who shall remain anonymous, due to his surly nature.)

Several small tracts of land had been parceled out, and the one to which he had been assigned CLEARLY had the wrong intention in mind: Herbalism and .... FARMING... are simply NOT the same thing.  Pick peaches? Plums? Cherries? Knowing where to dig to get bloated tubers and the mysterious kobold bulbs? SURE! That was what he did--- But knowing where and how to harvest wild things is simply not the same thing as directly tending the soil! But, his jovial nature made him unable to voice these concerns and objections. Maybe he would be able to spin the situation later, and actually get to go on foraging trips in the name of "Seed collection"... Regardless, it was quite apparent from the various construction pitches that "Fearless leader" (His insistence that there was a giant great horned owl terrorizing the woodlands had become quite notorious by now) fully intended for him take up farming and plant processing with nary a single word of consultation. Still no sign of a pottery shop either.  (He would likely have to sneak one into his cellar later... The soil here looked at first glance to be some fashion of clay-- perhaps it would yield good earthenware under skilled hands.)

"Meh" he said to himself in half-assed reservation, as he headed to the Pickled Plum for a tall drink of chilled plum brandy. "No dwarf's a fortress unto himself-- Bah-- Village! Village unto himself. Bugger. I need that drink."
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:40:16 am by wierd »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2014, 10:53:16 am »

5-5-5 I was not expecting that. Poll locks in one hour and I'll break any ties.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2014, 11:01:02 am »

If nothing else, pick a result that works best for the role playing factor

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2014, 11:45:58 am »

looks like "award more ground based on accomplishment" has squeezed ahead by 1 vote.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2014, 11:47:54 am »

Pencil_Art there most certainly IS metal down there and if you were better at your job we'd have it! EvictedSaint I know what a bloody owl looks like and that's not a damned owl! I understand the difference between herbalism and farming- why aren't you picking fruit Wierd!? Why are you assholes fishing when you should be building?! EvictedSaint HugoLuman gets the wood furnace you get the smelter I know you won't be able to keep both straight! NO HugoLuman you'll have your furnace when you finish those damned tables! Dammit Lordlemonpie get those ravens to stop lurking! No, PK I know what a giant looks like and that is not the owl either!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes I am certain there's an owl, I am not crazy and the next person who says I am is getting split open with an axe! 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What's that Pencil_Art? There's metal here and I am a genius!? Why I had no idea.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2014, 12:02:14 pm »

6-6-5 Tiles by merit, No hard limit, Fixed number of tiles.

Coin flip says Tiles by Merit wins. With that in mind I'll draw up some rules for estates.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2014, 12:35:09 pm »

Annoyed, but never faltering with his smile (Since the smile seemed to do better at returning the annoyance back at their fearless leader than any witty reposte ever could, and wierd wasn't so good with words), pointed out that the only plums remaining in the areas designated so far were the ones in the branches more than 3 stories up, which cannot be reached with a step ladder, and that as much as he enjoyed the plums, eating a straight diet of them would keep everyone "On break" much longer than they should be-- With "Strapping regularity"-- If you know what he meant.

Taking the time out now to get something less likely to grease the plumbing to go along with it would more than make up for the lost time in the end run, but there was just no going against the fearless leader.

Rather than argue the particulars though, he just smiled broadly, hauled in the fish he had caught, and promptly buried them under mountains of purple plums.  Fearless Leader would sooner or later have difficulty controlling his bowels eating a solid diet of plums, and with the way he was reacting to owls lately, it would only be a matter of time before he soiled himself publicly (No matter how anal-retentive he was acting.)--- and if he didnt want any fish, well, he didnt need to have any. Given the ageless association with herbalism and medicine, he and PK had taken to a quiet and harmless bet as to when the inevitable would come to pass...

Grin still firmly in place, he chuckled jovially, and scooped up the step ladder and plum basket.  Well, if fearless leader wanted more plums, it was all on him-- He didnt suggest it after all, and if fearless leader wanted make him win the bet, that was all the better.

Passing by closely, he beamed merrily as he walked out the door.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2014, 01:10:13 pm »

How's this for revised rules?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2014, 01:16:54 pm »

Seems good to me.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2014, 05:22:02 pm »

I shall be lurking...  ;D
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 54