Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28

Author Topic: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014  (Read 70251 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014
« Reply #240 on: December 27, 2014, 03:09:05 pm »

Indeed, and because dorfs aren't that smart, they'll keep using dented armor unless they are given time off to get it repaired, so you have more reason to give them a schedule rotation or run on a militia-style military rather than keeping soldiers training 24-7

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 27, 2014, 03:14:53 pm »

They might notice, since dented armour could be very uncomfortable to wear.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 27, 2014, 04:14:42 pm »

Isn't armor less effective after courple hits in game? If it's not completly defleting your atacks armor is less efective with every hit i think... In Adv mode. I think it needs !SCIENCE! in area mode.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 27, 2014, 07:30:40 pm »

The necromancer who lives half a world away showed up four seasons in. Again.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 27, 2014, 08:00:38 pm »

The necromancer who lives half a world away showed up four seasons in. Again.
He heard you were embarking and immediately set out to greet your dwarves. Such a thoughtful neighbor, but his gifts leave something to be desired...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 27, 2014, 09:23:57 pm »

Nonsense!  Invite him in, let him enjoy your finest gladiator games and be surrounded by the most extravagent furnishings.  Give him bacon and let him rest within your fort.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 27, 2014, 09:31:13 pm »

Similar measures should probably be taken with weapons as well. After all, the main reason a Silver Warhammer works so well in DF is that it won't dent or deform on impact like it would IRL.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 27, 2014, 09:50:25 pm »

So much extra maths. Combat would bring the game to more of a chug than usual.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 28, 2014, 06:56:02 am »

Similar measures should probably be taken with weapons as well. After all, the main reason a Silver Warhammer works so well in DF is that it won't dent or deform on impact like it would IRL.

Absolutely. Gold items should be very squishy. Extra maths is Toady's speciality anyway.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 28, 2014, 07:38:11 am »

Well heavier weapons should be more hard to hit the target, it depends on the strength, or perhaps the size of the wielder.
Otherwise, a gold maul should be able to break neck even if the target has steel helmet. Maybe it can be dented by the impact, but that doesn't prevent it from killing the target. Cutting weapons are another story, though.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 28, 2014, 08:58:16 am »

So much extra maths. Combat would bring the game to more of a chug than usual.
Unless combat happens in your game 24/7, it won't be an issue.
._.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 28, 2014, 11:08:44 am »

Well heavier weapons should be more hard to hit the target, it depends on the strength, or perhaps the size of the wielder.
Otherwise, a gold maul should be able to break neck even if the target has steel helmet. Maybe it can be dented by the impact, but that doesn't prevent it from killing the target. Cutting weapons are another story, though.

If the warrior is wearing a bevor (neck armour), or the angle of the blow is not within certain bounds, the neck will not jerk enough to snap. What is far more likely to kill the victim of the blow is the brain smashing against the inside of the skull.

Both the weight and the weight balance of a weapon must be considered. If most of the weight is at the hilt (most swords), the weapon will be quick and easy to strike with. If most of the weight is at the striking end (war hammer) it will be much slower and more tiring to strike with. Increasing the weight of the whacking end gives more force but longer strike recovery and more fatigue.

War hammers are about the size of normal hammers, so the amount of force and fatigue involved in using one is similar. A trained dwarf would not really swing the war hammer, and certainly not take a back swing; rather, he would use short, punching strikes, hitting hard but also quickly. Air resistance makes it hard to move things with a big surface area quickly, and being stronger gives diminishing returns on this since there is still the same volume of air to move. A stronger dwarf would be able to hit harder, but hitting the target would be far more governed by skill than strength, striking past the foe's defences and predicting his movement. It would actually be much harder for a bigger creature to hit a dwarf, since the dwarf can dodge and move more quickly.

Strength is important up to a certain point, but only so much force is needed to kill a foe with a strike; after that, it is endurance and speed which matter more.

For old times' sake.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 04, 2015, 05:48:48 pm »

Thank you for the effort. I would be happy to test your mod once it is done if you give me the link.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147241.0

I finally got around to it. Testing would be appreciated.
._.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 04, 2015, 06:28:13 pm »

I shall test the mod tomorrow.

For old times' sake.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 08, 2015, 11:49:10 pm »

I guess the lack of sieges is explained by my low pop cap (25), but how can I incite the elves or humans to attack?

I embarked in an area with goblins, elves and humans. About 14 years, 30+million wealth, not a single goblin (no snatchers or ambushers etc.).

Supposedly the elves were 'at war' with my civ (reclaim), but I think that was actually war with an extinct civ with no survivors but a couple sites left, as I *think* the parent civ I was assigned is far away. When the elves showed up with diplomat+caravan they were listed as at 'peace'. One of my dwarves inherited a barony, and the elf diplomat started complaining about deforestation: I'm on a tundra embark so either they were complaining about cutting underground trees (i had only cut a few at that point), or they were complaining about another site my baron was in charge of? (If that's how it works, it says my dwarf is baroness of "Inkylashes", while my fort is called "Hoistpapers"; not sure if Inkylashes is just a title for the position or another site).
Anyway, I refused their demands every year but they keep coming back.

The humans initially were sending a vampire olm man diplomat. I left him alone for a few years until one of my dwarves was found drained of blood (10 years after my last migration wave, so obviously none of my current dwarves were vamps). Next year when he returned I sent the military out to kill him (which they did). But no retaliation from the humans. Next year they had a new liason (human this time) and the human caravan came as normal.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28