Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28

Author Topic: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014  (Read 70261 times)

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014
« Reply #300 on: June 27, 2015, 11:06:01 am »

I still don't understand what the issue is. I simply embarked adjacent to a goblin fortress and I got about 60 goblins per siege, twice a year, every year. The only difference I've noticed from previous versions is that you have to be near goblin sites to get invaded, and that thieves and snatchers are non-existent.

I forgot to add my world is 2000 years old, which IS a significant difference from the worlds you guys are playing on

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 27, 2015, 11:47:33 am »

I imagine in 2000 years of worldgen (i don't want to imagine how much time it would take for DF2014 to generate such a very long lived world on my system in a normal sized world) gobs population must be skyrocketting.

I wonder if it's really linked to pop numbers, can you check how much goblins you have in the nearby goblin dark fortress ?
In case you don't know how to, go to legends,
Once you're at the legends menu, go to "Historical Maps" and with the cursor just check the name of the dark fortress that generate your 60 gobs sieges regularly.
Press ESC to go back to the legends menu then press P to export the information as a text file

Then open regionX-serieofnumbers-world_sites_and_pops.txt and look for the dark fortress name you checked, this will give you the list of population it has.

Usually i worldgen 200 years old worlds , that makes my goblin dark fortresses populated in between 4 and 8 thousands of gobs (and as much trolls), with this kind of number i usually never see any siege when embarking near to them or when there is one, it's incredibly tiny (my biggest DF2014 goblin siege has been 8 gobs !)
I'm curious to see how many gobs you will find in that dark fortress, if the difference between the kind of number i see and yours is very high it could give a hint at to why sieges rarely happen for most people.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 27, 2015, 02:06:06 pm »

Unfortunately I can't view the legends or create a new world in region 4, which is the one I'm playing on, it only lets me access region 3 for some reason. Can I access this info from the save in the data folder?

Also I made some simple changes to improve the chances of sieges. On a "small region" in advance world gen I changed Population cap after civ creation to 25,000 (I think this was 10,000 originally) and Site Cap after civ creation to 290 (I think this was at 250).

I can no longer remember if I changed these, but in the raws, entity_default.txt for goblins I have: max starting civ number 130, max pop number 13000, max site pop number 140.

So yeah.. In retrospect I might get sieges so often because I fiddled with the goblin data.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 27, 2015, 02:45:34 pm »

I am running a DF2014 fort along one in 34.11 ,
For the DF2014 one, i removed the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] from the goblin entry and replaced it by [LITTERSIZE:10:20] so everytime a gob spawn their minigobs instead of 1 it will be between 10 and 20 minigobs

I worldgen-ed then on 200 years on a "smaller" region so distances may be much lower for army to decide to walk, and before embark i checked the dark fortress has a little more than 10000 gobs.

I embarked close enough, we'll see if despite being very high usually in my worlds, gobs pop need to be even more higher to get sieges coming. If i still don't see gobs, that's then not related to their site pop

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 27, 2015, 03:04:09 pm »

I still don't understand what the issue is. I simply embarked adjacent to a goblin fortress and I got about 60 goblins per siege, twice a year, every year. The only difference I've noticed from previous versions is that you have to be near goblin sites to get invaded, and that thieves and snatchers are non-existent.
Some worlds they happily invade and in others they never/rarely seem to show up. My best guess is that the goblins have limited attention and will largely ignore your fort if they are busy raiding other places. There tend to be multiple dwarf, human, and elf civs beside your own that all may be drawing their attention. In other worlds they may already be attacking your civ before embark and so they also attack you reliably. It's unfortunately not so simple to check what each civ is up to before embark and things change in the time between world gen and embarking.

As for viewing your world's legends you want to make a copy of the region folder, name it something else, load it up, abandon your fort, and then check legends mode. You can only run one mode per world at a time (fort, adventure, or legends).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 28, 2015, 07:46:45 am »

Some update on my test with ultra-productive gobs litters on a 250 years smaller worldgen-ed region (to avoid having too many civs, so gob attention wouldn't go too much to other things), embarking close to a dark fortress with 10000 gobs :
8: Nakootak, "Tormentconfined", dark fortress
   Owner: The Larval Nightmares, goblins
   Parent Civ: The Vice of Trials, goblins
   lord: Ases Juggledwrung, human
   296 humans
   17 dwarves
   13 elves
   1 pale taupe devil
   10128 goblins
   5100 trolls
   76 human prisoners
   16 elf prisoners
And there was no more elf civ, so it was down to dwarves, humans and gobs only.

Looked like a nice dark fortress that would be completely unplayable if you visit it in adventure mode, but maybe good if sieges only happens when gobs pop skyrocket like that.

After 3 ingame years of building up my fortress and getting more than 100k wealth, i finally got a goblin siege, they sure took their time, but at least they came, that's some progress in comparison to my last forts in which no gobs ever tried

My military was ready, 20 dwarves (in 2 squads) that had by then some good sword, warhammer and marksdwarves skills from 3 years of training.

Let's see what the mighty evil legion of gobs throw at me ... 10 gobs and some animal guy that probably took the wrong direction when trying to get home

Oh well, so much for expectations, at least it beat my previous "biggest DF2014 siege ever" that had 8 gobs.

I guess then that dark fortress pop or your own pop does not really matter, those 10 gobs as obvious as it was indeed stood no chances and those flying body parts just filled my underground refuse stockpile (i always worry about a stealth necromancer , i remember a nasty surprise i got in 34.11)

One of my dwarf went in trance mid fight and sliced the same poor gob 3 times , an arm, a leg and the neck that sailed in arc, losing its neck oddly didn't killed him on spot, he died from head getting smashed by another of my warriors.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 07:49:37 am by Robsoie »

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 28, 2015, 07:59:02 am »

Strangely enough after multiple games with no invaders; I make a new world... and Koblod Theif before the first year is up.

Better than nothing.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 28, 2015, 08:21:53 am »

Speaking of kobolds, during those 3 years of waiting, i got several thieves alert, one of my marksdwarves killed one of them, but due to how my fort is made, they never managed to get in and all ran away out of the map.

But what i never had is baby snatcher in those years (there are several babies in the fort), and something else i never had, that in fact i never had in any of my df2014 are ambushes like there was in past versions.

Do they even exist in df2014 or was it removed ?

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 28, 2015, 10:26:34 am »

I've only been doing this for two forts but if I gen a world with a dwarf civ that is at war with goblins and play that they siege regularly. My fort is 15 years old, still at war with the goblins, and it says 356 goblins and 104 trolls have perished here.

I keep playing, hoping that perhaps some day they will siege with very high numbers (I think the most I've seen at once is ~70) and a goblin general. There was a year or two that passed without sieging, but they came back thankfully and sieged twice in the past year.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 28, 2015, 02:19:17 pm »

After genning about 8 different worlds or so trying to find a really good Gob war world, I finally found one. One dark pits (100 trolls + 51 gobs), and one dark fortress (10155 Gobs, 5100 trolls, 1 Bull Devil who appears to be the civ leader). Besides them, there are 4 dwarf forts, and nothing else. Both elves and humans have been wiped out. And, on the extreme bonus side, I'm settling right world tile over from the pits, as it's the only place on the northern half of the continent with Iron for some reason (according to DFhack's prospect all pre-embark).
Oh yeah, and I wound up doing what Robosie did with the modding, except my litter size is 25-35 (I had extreme difficulty getting a stable goblin civ that was not spread over 30 different sites)
Pics:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
World (from what I remember) is Smaller, very low civ, low sites, high beast, high savagery, and frequent minerals. Wish me luck...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 29, 2015, 06:35:04 am »

Little follow up on my test world next to a 10000 gobs dark tower

After the very small 10 gobs "siege" that my dwarves destroyed without problems in the 3rd year of my fortress, i am now entering the 6th year of that fort and there have been no goblin coming since that pseudo-siege, despite the 6 shiny artifacts i have by to attract attention by now :)

i had a forgotten beast spawning in the deepest cavern , near the adamantine vein i spotted there , but i had walled the entrance, as my test is about seeing if and when goblins siege happen.
That Forgotten beast became probably as bored as me and decided to attack a blind ogre and died to it, no idea if the blind ogre survived , as i don't see him or his corpse anywhere.

Anways, still waiting for goblins to come, my fort is getting more and more populated and so run unfortunately more slowly with all those migrants that come.
My military is full iron since a while, but without goblins to come , there's no real point.

I'll try to wait until year 9 if i manage to resist the boring and slow gameplay there is currently on my fort, if there's still no goblin, goodbye df2014 and back to 34.11

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 29, 2015, 08:01:06 am »

The optimal way to guarantee sieges is to gen your world, run it for X years, go into legends mode and find a war between gobs and dwarves, note the date, and then re-gen the same world (region*-world_gen_param.txt contents added to the end of data/init/world_gen.txt) and stop the gen during that war. Start the game as that civ. Note that Civ X might be not at war depending on where your embark is located. Always move the embark around the entire map with the neighbors tab up to see where exactly you need to embark for there to be war. It's still a large area, but it's not the entire world.

In my experience, for whatever reason, goblin populations typically are the highest of any civ after 50-200 years because wars. The above is a bit tedious but it should work for almost any world you gen.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 29, 2015, 08:53:37 am »

On my experiment, being at "WAR" at embark does not really guarantee siege, because on this experiment when i embarked, the gobs were listed at "WAR" in the nearby civ list.
And on all the years my mountainhome liaison came, he only said "the world is the same as ever" and never mentionned any change of status regarding the situation, so the gobs should always be at war with us.

There's certainly something else involved , but i have no idea what it is at the moment (well, i'm sure it's just because it's bugged in df2014 as most people are experiencing the same anyways)

observations on that fort experiment :
- embarked close to a dark fortress with 10.000 gobs (due to increased litter in raw) on a 250 years smaller world, status was "WAR" in the embark with the gobs
- fortress is on its 6th year, 149 dwarves (a few died from their own stupidity, one died from a giant scorpion)
- 30 dwarves are in the military
- wealth/export is way past barony since 2 years, but never became one (probably yet another df bug) and is closing to county requirement by now (wealth is enough, only export isn't)
- 8 artifacts have been created, a 9th is ongoing.
- elf entity is extinct since before the creation of that fort
- in every of those 6 years , the liaison has only said "the world is the same as ever", never reporting any battle/conquest, despite we're at war with the gobs
- there have been several thiefs (kobolds) in every of those 6 years, none managed to fetch anything and ran away, a couple of them have been killed
- there have been 0 babysnatchers in every of those 6 years
- there have been 0 undead siege but it's because there was no tower in the nearby list when embarking
- there have been 0 ambush in every of those 6 years
- there have been 1 "siege" with only 10 gobs in the 3rd year
- a forgotten beast came some months after the failure of a goblin siege and was killed by a blind ogre
- in the caverns there are several amphibian people that are all "hostile", but are not attacking or being attacked by any dwarves or military walking or stationning right next to them (the infamous df2014 bug about morale and passivity i guess)

I'll wait a bit and retire to check the legends and see if there's something new that happens and wasn't mentionned by the liaison.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:55:11 am by Robsoie »

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 29, 2015, 09:29:41 am »

I would give it at least a few more years. The appearance of even a single siege is promising, compared to what most people are getting. My sieges listed above started with a single squad of gobs, the next was two squads, the next was two squads plus a squad of trolls, increasing to what I've been getting lately which is 3-4 squads of each.

Pump that fortress wealth in the interim.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 29, 2015, 09:54:48 am »

Thanks to my very good fisherdwarves, i have mussel shells coming much faster than my several craftting workshop can transform them in shell craft, so as they're making shell craft repeatedly ad nauseam, the wealth is constantly increasing (currently 397k wealth)

I am just leaving things in the background (as the fort is self-sustening anyways), only checking from time to time if something paused the game to deal with it.

Coming close to the end of that 6th year, i got a 2nd forgotten beast coming in one of the cavern, but it's walled to avoid wasting my time and framerate while the focus of that experiment is goblins.
Hopefully i'll see some results, but it sure takes its time.

edit : oh another Forgotten Beast just arrived, there's now 2 roaming in the caverns, i wonder if they're going to fight each other, it just killed a cave crocodile that was close to where it spawned.
This one is entirely made of vomit, i guess she was called by the mountains and rivers of vomit my cave adapted dwarves made in the exterior.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:12:06 am by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28