Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28

Author Topic: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014  (Read 70250 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014
« Reply #285 on: May 31, 2015, 12:13:41 am »

So much extra maths. Combat would bring the game to more of a chug than usual.

Months old, but that's actually not true. Here's the extra math:

Code: [Select]
(attackForce/IMPACT_YIELD)*IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD
So not much at all. Of course, this... actually doesn't work. It's a dumb abstraction that a good look at any stress/strain curve will tell you is not indicative of reality, due to necking, spalling etc. concerns. But since DF doesn't actually tell you any of that, you can use this abstraction.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 31, 2015, 04:48:28 pm »

What about measuring the deformation on each weapon and how that affects future attacks? That's the bit I was thinking of.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 31, 2015, 04:52:10 pm »

Maybe a simple, gamey accuracy drop or recover time increase (due to weird weight shift)?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 31, 2015, 04:56:47 pm »

Oh, gamey abstractions in a game. That makes a lot more sense than whatever I was trying to think of.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 31, 2015, 05:02:42 pm »

From what I've seen and heard, it doesn't seem that Toady does gamey abstractions. Possibly a drop in sharpness, resulting in a rise in contact area? I don't really know enough about the combat system to do more than guess. I think that would come long before the extra recovery time caused by a change in balance. I could be wrong, though.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 10, 2015, 12:27:52 pm »

Decrease in sharpness would be the effect on sharp weapons. Deformation of blunt weapons would have to be serious to impact recovery time.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

bcmpinc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 21, 2015, 12:56:56 pm »

I'm also having the problem that I don't get any sieges, despite the fact that I embarked next to a goblin fortress and there is another one a bit further away. I've no idea what is causing this. I checked invaders in the init file, which is on. I produced large amounts of wealth: >10.000.000 dwarfbucks. In the end I decided to retire my fortress so I could start over in an evil biome. At that point I figured out that the mountain home of my civilization was abandoned/succumbed to an invasion, which would explain why suddenly one of my dwarves was elected as queen.

Was it because I embarked on a pocket world with only 5 years history?
Was it because the goblin fortress has been 'abandoned' or is under siege? I've seen goblin's fight humans when I walk around there in adventure mode.
Was it because my fortress had become the mountain homes?
Was it because it is my second embark in that world and I retired the first one? Or because I embarked on a 2x2 area?

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 21, 2015, 08:47:33 pm »

Was it because I embarked on a pocket world with only 5 years history?
Was it because the goblin fortress has been 'abandoned' or is under siege? I've seen goblin's fight humans when I walk around there in adventure mode.
Was it because my fortress had become the mountain homes?
Was it because it is my second embark in that world and I retired the first one? Or because I embarked on a 2x2 area?

From what I've gathered from reading this thread, it's likely the 2nd. Seems like Goblins just don't care enough anymore to attack (plus a few bugs I think), plus if your civilization was getting sieged, would you lay siege to some random dorfs a few miles away?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 23, 2015, 06:23:32 am »

From what I've gathered from reading this thread, it's likely the 2nd. Seems like Goblins just don't care enough anymore to attack (plus a few bugs I think), plus if your civilization was getting sieged, would you lay siege to some random dorfs a few miles away?
I don't think it's that goblins don't care enough. Check out the amount of sieges that take place every year. Goblins are well up for a fight with anyone except the player most of the time.

I imagine, (begins theorizing), that goblins think like this:
'Spies report a new fortress, let's crush them!'
'Excellent, how many are there?'
'Seven!'
'Gather a war party, we'll attack next Spring!'
'Um...ok.'
Next spring...'Right let's go Dwarf stomping!'
'Hmm...Seems like there's now 85 Dwarves at the fortress.'
'85! We should have gathered more troops, let's go stomp something smaller...'

Which of course doesn't effect AI run targets as their numbers don't change much.
ends random speculation

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 23, 2015, 10:15:31 am »

A bit of !science!; mod goblins to be playable. Make a pocket world and one year of time. Embark your dwarf fortress, retire. Embark a goblin fortress nearby, retire. Adventure mode into the dwarf fortress and start asking questions about surroundings.

I'm curious if rumors of your fortress's founding have to percolate through the world until you get attacked.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 26, 2015, 03:28:54 am »

So, 2 year world, lots of hostiles (playing with modded Fortress Defense), and about 2500 megabeasts in a pocket world.

Yet i am a bit above 100 dwarves and the only attack i've had was a single forgotten beast, and a few kobold thieves. Also a war elephant thief. Normally I would have had at least three sieges by then.

WHY. WHY.

And undead and werewolves are stronger than ever, so that means either embark on an evil biome and get constantly harassed by undead especially when you can't defend yourself (including TPK's due to resurrecting biomes. Oh have you brought war dogs ? Enjoy that horde of zombie war dogs), get utterly destroyed by an undead siege (now them zombies have armor and weapons, i mean what the fuck ?) at year one or being forced to turtle if I foolishly embark next to a tower.

Meanwhile the only threat in standard biomes is carelessness with magma werebeasts.

I'm gonna go back to 34.11 if this continues. Toady, fix that ASAP, everyone is getting annoyed with the utter lack of sieges.

And the worst thing is that modding seems to not do anything.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 03:33:48 am by Naryar »

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 26, 2015, 03:57:28 am »

I decided I will kill some Elves because I am bored to death by no goblins coming. There are forest retreats everywhere in my area so that should help right? Or do the other races also don't come and siege you?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 26, 2015, 07:48:20 am »

I really hope the next version will fix those "no more" or "extremely rare" sieges, where is the fun of past versions in creating interesting trap system, training multiple military squads to prepare for epic battles when it's now all useless in current DF because none really come.

And indeed, the undead really need fixing, i wonder why Toady overpowered them that much, they were good enough as they were in 34.11

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 26, 2015, 10:09:45 am »

I decided I will kill some Elves because I am bored to death by no goblins coming. There are forest retreats everywhere in my area so that should help right? Or do the other races also don't come and siege you?

You're thinking like a human. To offend the elves, you need to violate their ethics, not yours. Take a quick peek in entity_default.txt to see how they feel about murder, and then look at how they feel about killing plants. Then trade them some wooden goods a few times.

Personally, I find the humans to be a better target, though, because the only thing of value they bother to bring for trade--metal goods I can melt down--they also bring to war in the form of armor and weapons. Elves may be snooty, but if you want a tiger pit in your glacier embark, they're your best trading partners.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 27, 2015, 10:54:12 am »

I still don't understand what the issue is. I simply embarked adjacent to a goblin fortress and I got about 60 goblins per siege, twice a year, every year. The only difference I've noticed from previous versions is that you have to be near goblin sites to get invaded, and that thieves and snatchers are non-existent.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28