Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28

Author Topic: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014  (Read 70252 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014
« Reply #270 on: March 20, 2015, 10:23:08 am »

No NPCs eat, it's simply not a feature of the game yet, like how grazers don't require grass until they are tamed. It's probably a planned thing, but it's not really prioritized yet. If starvation was a thing for NPCs then sieges would have to bring food and drink with them or hunt the local wildlife and drink from ponds and rivers for sustenance, which would make it much easier to win simply by turtling and waiting for the siege army to die. At this point in development it seems like it's just for the sake of simplicity that they don't have to eat.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 20, 2015, 11:47:54 am »

Are they supposed to be sustained by some kind of force like a necromancer's enchantment?
From what I understand it's something to do with their demonic origins.

No NPCs eat, it's simply not a feature of the game yet, like how grazers don't require grass until they are tamed. It's probably a planned thing, but it's not really prioritized yet. If starvation was a thing for NPCs then sieges would have to bring food and drink with them or hunt the local wildlife and drink from ponds and rivers for sustenance, which would make it much easier to win simply by turtling and waiting for the siege army to die. At this point in development it seems like it's just for the sake of simplicity that they don't have to eat.
Would be surprised if we didn't see non fort creatures eating / drinking in the next release's taverns.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 20, 2015, 04:04:37 pm »

What exactly is the demonic origin of goblins?
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 20, 2015, 04:14:12 pm »

Actually, sentient residents of your fort eat and drink if they are on your side. And I'm not only talking about dwarves.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 20, 2015, 05:13:33 pm »

Personally i'm embarking near two necromancer towers and goblins to try and get an interesting game. Without frequent invasions i find myself a lot less interested. Im new to the 2014 version so i'll see if theres a lot less sieges than before. I used to play the fortress defense mod, does anyone know if that's been updated for the 2014 version, or if theres a similiar mod?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 06, 2015, 05:23:01 pm »

So, I've seen my first babysnatchers in DF2014.

They were modded Fortress Defense white tigermen babysnatchers, however - still no goblin snatchers at all.

Must be something with the goblin raws.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 06, 2015, 07:40:03 pm »

I don't know what's going on. I do not have invaders turned off in init...

Revert to 34.11, enjoy regular combat once again.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 08, 2015, 02:56:01 pm »

Part of me wants to revert back to .34, just for the insane amounts of invaders. But then I'd also be missing out on a lot of other stuff that I like in the current version.

It's just no fun when you get only 13 invaders every year, and your militia can take all of them down rather quickly. Hell, ONE of your militia can take them all down quickly.

Wasn't in because that the in the previous versions, invaders were a bit like caravan guards (randomly generated just for that instant)? Because I sure miss that....
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 08, 2015, 03:00:29 pm »

My solution: Make differently named but identical copies of each entity. Makes more caravans come, plus you get 2-3 times the sieges. With multiple nations to declare war on, there are many possibilities!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 16, 2015, 05:34:33 am »

Part of me wants to revert back to .34, just for the insane amounts of invaders. But then I'd also be missing out on a lot of other stuff that I like in the current version.

It's just no fun when you get only 13 invaders every year, and your militia can take all of them down rather quickly. Hell, ONE of your militia can take them all down quickly.

Wasn't in because that the in the previous versions, invaders were a bit like caravan guards (randomly generated just for that instant)? Because I sure miss that....

The solution is for Toady to make legendary dwarves weaker compared to regular trained goblins, and to introduce formations and dogpiling so individuals cannot easily defeat 10 foes at once.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 17, 2015, 04:46:37 pm »

The solution is for Toady to make legendary dwarves weaker compared to regular trained goblins, and to introduce formations and dogpiling so individuals cannot easily defeat 10 foes at once.

I don't know. I just miss my 80 goblin sieges like the Dickens.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 18, 2015, 01:32:32 pm »

80 goblin sieges still happen sometimes. The problem is that even 80 goblins get whacked silly by 10 legendary dwarves, even in past versions. The solution is not for loads of goblins to come from nowhere, because those big armies still get killed easily much of the time, but for goblins to be a bit stronger relative to dwarves by adding siegecraft, tactics, formations, and generally making it a bit harder for 1 dwarf to kill 15 goblins. Sieges should follow this basic rule of combat: "if he does not think he can take you, and he is not cornered, he will not try". No sieging army should be so weak as to be crushed easily - at least not the second time.

For old times' sake.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 30, 2015, 12:41:22 pm »

80 goblin sieges still happen sometimes. The problem is that even 80 goblins get whacked silly by 10 legendary dwarves, even in past versions. The solution is not for loads of goblins to come from nowhere, because those big armies still get killed easily much of the time, but for goblins to be a bit stronger relative to dwarves by adding siegecraft, tactics, formations, and generally making it a bit harder for 1 dwarf to kill 15 goblins. Sieges should follow this basic rule of combat: "if he does not think he can take you, and he is not cornered, he will not try". No sieging army should be so weak as to be crushed easily - at least not the second time.
They happen entirely too infrequently. Making goblins stronger doesn't solve anything if there aren't goblins to be fought.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 30, 2015, 02:27:07 pm »

I seem to remember that because goblins are immortal and get stronger with time, if you played in a long lived world , you had sieges coming with lots of fearsome goblin weaponmasters, and you would really need your own legendary to stand a chance (assuming of course you didn't go the easy way with walling all your fort or laying traps cage everywhere).

Though with how nearly never i saw sieges in df2014 it's probably not even worth testing with it as what's the point of having extremely powerfull enemies if they never really send any siege to you.

34.11 is still a great game if you want battles with your fortress mode, something lost to df2014 and that i really hope Toady will check before releasing the new version, it's just not fun making elaborated traps and defense when out of the undead, nothing come or nothing come in decent amount (my biggest goblin siege in df2014 was 8 goblins !) .
Nearly like playing with Invaders disabled.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 30, 2015, 05:36:03 pm »

Well, at least this makes me feel better about starting a fort in a world with extinct goblins... At least I'm not exactly missing that much. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28