Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28

Author Topic: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014  (Read 70246 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014
« Reply #225 on: December 24, 2014, 04:36:51 pm »

Absolutely no invasions whatsoever would likely be caused by the bug and should be fixed by 40.23. Fewer invasions are a planned part of the game, but some should still arrive.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 24, 2014, 04:42:07 pm »

Oh god, guess this means I should train some marksdwarves. Time is running out for the peaceful masons of Rulertaught. But I want some fun on this fort if I can get it without awakening the circus, so it's all good :P

Wonder if there will be a flood of backlogged invasions?

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 24, 2014, 05:00:15 pm »

Possibly, if players have been running forts for a long time. I am not sure exactly how the bug works.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 24, 2014, 11:23:30 pm »

I guess it's possible that, since they're drawn from world populations, they send a few and then don't send anymore, even if they just idle...maybe?

I'll be interested to hear if 0.40.23 does indeed resolve it!

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 26, 2014, 01:10:57 am »

Interested in hearing peoples' experiences so far. I genned a world where my slowly dying dwarf civ (mountain halls are hella resilient) is warring with two 6,000+ strong goblin civs.

Haven't gotten very far because of Christmas. Although I noticed a lot of my migrants have arrived with "getting used to tragedy" in their thoughts pages.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 26, 2014, 03:59:42 pm »

I got attacked in the .19 fort, I think they just take longer and don't have the same scripted conditions for coming.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 26, 2014, 04:05:17 pm »

Moved a fort from 40.16 to 40.23. It's nearly two years old and at 39 dwarves so far, playing fortress defense as well.

Will tell you if I get sieges or ambushes.

Have the people who have played 40.23 longer than me had more sieges than the previous .40 versions ?

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 26, 2014, 06:20:23 pm »

I started a new fort in 40.23, Standard settings on world-gen except for increased Savagery.

I've killed 5 or 6 forgotten beasts, 2 gremlins and alot of cave crocodiles but no invasions.

Voidlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 26, 2014, 06:45:43 pm »

Yet, it still takes time for a invasion to arrive
The Void shall consume all

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 27, 2014, 06:07:36 am »

A 40.19 - 40.22 fort, I think I was six or seven years in, no fights other than a random giantess, which upset all the thirty wrestlers who near-instantly killed her. Upgrade to .23 there was immediately a goblin siege, which I had to lock out because the wee dears had become accustomed to peace. They wandered off not long after all my animals had to be butchered to stop them starving (plus, I needed food).

The dorf caravan came, winter freeze happened, widened my aquifer punch a bit (stupid 2-layer aquifer under 1-layer soil), and then some bandits, humans and dwarves, mostly, hilariously even ... well, spoilers. Anyway, the combat speed thing is terrifying, enemies jumping over rivers and climbing walls and whatnot, all at about 4-5 ticks per step. These ones are being persistent, booze is gone, food is scarce, so I'm arming up as well as I can and trying to split them up and pick them off, which pretty much works. Aside from how their leader blocked the first thirty attacks while hacking up three dorfs and only a lucky headshot with a =steel spear=, followed by a copper pick splitting his skull like a ripe melon ... which of course upset all the rookies, which is everyone. Punching people in armour does not work.

Glad I melted the spare anvil for that spear though. Really need to stop messing around and get a defence up. If only the deep ore had been something other than Sphalerite. I hope the mountainhome likes goblets, because importing steel is expensive, and this river kills far more fishermen than it's worth to fish for shellgoods. Not to mention the giant ravens, which never seem to turn up when there's a siege on. And of course all the forgotten beasts roaming the caverns have webs or worse.

Hey, at least there's a magma tube, which I should really get on and tap.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 27, 2014, 07:35:54 am »

Looks like invasions are coming after all.

Glad to see that punching armour is properly useless.

For old times' sake.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 27, 2014, 09:58:17 am »

It would help if armor was pulpable, though. Right now armor is indestructible.
._.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 27, 2014, 10:48:37 am »

Armour did not really get completely destroyed by weapons in mediaeval warfare. Weapons like war hammers dented armour and smashed force through it that way, and could pierce it if struck hard enough, but the armour was not really "pulped". Only crushing weapons like war hammers, picks and maces should be able to crush through armour in this way, as could the pommel of a sword if struck hard enough. Battle axes were generally too light to achieve this, but if dwarves made an especially big one it could do it.

Pointy weapons like spears and swords (the blades) should be able to attack armoured opponents only by thrusting through gaps in the armour. This is unlikely to succeed, but can be made more likely by wrestling and gripping the weapon closer to the point (see half swording). This would accurately portray armoured sword and spear fighting, which in single combat was usually based on wrestling, stabbing through the gaps and gripping close to the point.

That said, armour bashed by war hammers should need repairing at the forge afterwards.

For old times' sake.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 27, 2014, 02:45:58 pm »

Yeah, pulping is a bit too far, maybe crushing but I doubt even a thirty foot tall titan bulging with muscles could turn solid metal into something resembling salsa...

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 27, 2014, 02:50:36 pm »

The armour could become "dented" and have a chance of bashing weapons hitting the dent and doing more damage until it is repaired.

For old times' sake.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28