Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

Author Topic: Nations of Etraxia OOC  (Read 25003 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nations of Etraxia OOC
« Reply #345 on: March 08, 2015, 02:22:44 am »

Alright then :3
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 08, 2015, 02:31:58 am »

Woot, successful peacekeeping! Time to brag!

Bunch of Sericans rescued, you're welcome. Bunch of monarchist scum killed, you're welcome. Giant patriotic fervor leading to my entire country enlisting? Thank you, self.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 08, 2015, 02:42:37 am »

Right, I'll make this official, though I'll put it in the IC thread once I have my actions ready to go. Rakdar formally guarantees the independence of Candria, and any aggressive actions taken against them will be considered to be an attack on Rakdar and reacted to accordingly.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 09, 2015, 11:41:16 pm »

I am also willing to trade coffe in exchange for a steady supply of slaves/pow/criminals.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:43:45 pm by Evil Marahadja »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 10, 2015, 12:56:53 am »

Wait so Rakdar has an alliance with Candria?

If they're basically trying to take them under their wing, how are they recognizing their independence?

Also, if that's the case, pretty sure Dunik is besieging Candrian monarchs. At least that's what they told me.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 10, 2015, 02:30:23 am »

Not officially just yet, but I've been providing more than a little assistance to them. As for taking them under my wing, they're merely in my sphere of influence. Keeping them independant essentially means keeping them there. Also helps they happen to be the only other monarchy on the continent (That we know is active).

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 11, 2015, 02:32:51 pm »

Mmmm, I've decided to share my calculations sheet with you guys. It's very rough (none of it is set in stone), but it should give you a better idea of what things actually do. Shouldn't be too much spoilery stuff on it, so go ham. There's also a quite a few calculations that aren't even in there, so view it with more of a "this is kind of how this works" rather than a "I should try to abuse the game by min-maxing the calculations" (I jest, but you catch my meaning) mindset.

Here's the link.
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 11, 2015, 03:58:58 pm »

Damn my military is resource intensive :D

Also laughing at how the tariffs have basically kneecapped both Istania and Serica, you two had it better when it wasn't tariffed :P

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 11, 2015, 07:37:08 pm »

Yes,

that 18 6 point drop in our economies

out of ~4000

Has crippled us.

It's not like we have the highest prosperity ratings in the game or anything, after all.

And it's not like RL nations used tariffs as a source of income. Certainly not as their primary source of income until income tax was introduced. Not at all. Tariffs never do anything good for anyone, after all.

On another note, Public Order was supposed to give one bonuses or good events when high; how high does it need to be, then, before that starts to show?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 11, 2015, 10:29:23 pm »

Public Order doesn't have a direct effect on your country. It simply prevents nasty !!Fun!! like riots and uprisings. Public Order itself does the following:

1. Prevents hostile elements from growing in your country (note: these tend to be interior, not foreign).
2. Keeps your citizenry in check (it will start to clash with Unrest if both get too high).
3. Slightly (by slightly, I mean roughly a -1/+1 bonus at each of the spectrum; very small) increases the chance of interior actions succeeding.
4. Decreases the amount of hostile events that plague you (haven't had alot of these in the game yet, but trust me; you don't want to).

Public Order won't give massive benefits for being super high; but what it will do is prevent high unrest from ending up screwing you over.

Unrest is simply the hostility shown your government by the different people in your nation, and has little to no effect on stats. High unrest will negate all the positive things you get from Public Order, make it harder for you to change your country (this one is very important; reform is only possible if the people of your nation are willing to let it, or they are so heavily controlled that there's no one that can stop you), and increases the chance that the faction(s) upset with you will try to mess up your day.

RL nations did use tariffs as a source of income, but its not a "apply this to your trade route, magically gain income" sort of thing. The thing about tariffs is you are reducing the amount of optimal trade YOU get from a trade route, since you are decreasing the profit that merchants get from going to it. It's more of a "you can use these to get more income than your rival and increase the value of domestic industry" thing. Keep in mind that tariffs are a form of government control, and control tends to result in reduced economic potential.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:15:07 pm by DontBanTheMan »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 11, 2015, 11:14:45 pm »

So, wouldn't tariffs mean you sacrifice the merchant's gain in exchange for getting money directly into government coffers?

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 11, 2015, 11:16:44 pm »

Well, the problem with that logic is any gain you get will be likely offset by the decreased merchant activity (PS: it is already assumed that you are taxing merchants and all that jazz). I suppose a more complex system could possibly be devised, but at that point it's not simple enough for me to keep track of.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 11, 2015, 11:23:46 pm »

Decreased merchant activity is offset by eventual exports and increase in domestic industry, and thus increased trade as your people have more money to spend and are thus more and more able to deal with tariffs.

So I suppose it's long-term, more than anything.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 11, 2015, 11:56:46 pm »

I'll come up with a new mechanic for tariffs, but for now you'll have to deal with that annoying (-6 econ).

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 12, 2015, 07:44:17 am »

I have a suggestion. Maybe you should be allowed to see the maps of the nations where you have an embassy. It is a bit silly that we have to resort to espionage to gain that knowlage when a diplomst should be able to gain that infornation from a random merchant.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27