Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Bay 12 Apocalypse Plan  (Read 7168 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Apocalypse Plan
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 08:09:40 pm »

Why the fuck would you want to survive the apocalypse? 

If a successful colony is established with you being one of the founding members, you might wind up being though of as a god by later generations?

Going out in a blaze of glory as the colony falls rather than being just another pretty much arbitrary death?

Convincing enough people to follow you that you can create your own personal death legion?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 08:10:44 pm »

The urge to keep living is a powerful force.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 08:12:58 pm »

If I do survive the initial cataclysm, I'll probably just:

a) hunt small game
b) loot luxury goods (I know it's useless, but my inner dwarf can't resist the call of those abandoned pig tail socks rolexes and diamonds.)
c) read books

All that changes if I fall in with a group though. I'm comfortable following orders and shooting, plus I know how to brew beer and wine and have experience and knowledge about working with chemicals. I think I'd do alright.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

poketwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 08:13:43 pm »

I WOULD GO TO THE REVOLUTIONARY ERA FORT IN SAVANNA. THEN I SHALL BE THE DUKE OF SAVANNA AFTER USING IT AS MY KEEP. NOW COME TO ME BAY 12, I SHALL REBUILD THE WORLD MELVILLE STYLE.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 09:18:59 pm »

Let's just go to hawaii. Harness the volcano like true men.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 10:06:55 pm »

Nova Scotia is remote, plus it has a bit of an isolated climate comparable with, say, Long Island. Plus, some people say that a bunch of people running from the vikings when they came over went there, so...

Grab what gear we can, particularly seeds, renewable power guff, weapons, meds, more meds, books on how to do shit, etc. and head there?

...have you ever been to Nova Scotia?
Nope. But many books.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 01:11:45 am »

What sort of doomsday scenario are we talking about? Nuclear holocaust? CelestAI? Zombies? 

seeds

As someone with a couple years worth of experience growing corn, zucchini, tomatoes, watermelon, onions and radishes, plus has a compost pile and both orange and apples trees in my backyard...I would not want to depend on planting and growing food for survival. It is not as easy as Dwarf Fortress makes it seem, and there are logistics concerns in regards to yearound food availability and needing to can things. Plus, I think an awful lot of us who do garden would have major problems trying to scale up operations to be self sustaining if the water were shut off.

People with aquaponic systems and a year of lead time might be able to do it. Most everyone else I think would have a tough time of it. Somebody with no experience gardening starting with a couple dozen packets of seeds? Not likely.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 02:02:16 am »

What we really need is for someone to compile a detailed set of directions on how to rebuild modern technology starting from just stone tools and working upward from there, using them to collect and refine better raw materials, craft better tools, rinse and repeat. Working up through bronze, iron, steel, and eventually getting to plastic and silicon and organic chemicals and weapons-grade plutonium. (and of course all of the side technologies achievable at each stage, and including only the best versions of each technology for any given point in the progression. The point is to compress 10000 years of development into about 100 by removing the need to actually develop the technologies; speaking of development however, it should also include an overview of engineering and of the scientific method, so that the new society doesn't stagnate into a pathetic Adeptus Mechanicus-style cargo cult)

Edit:

It is imperitive that the world not be allowed to descend back into pre-industrial lifestyles and social mores. That would be worse than humanity being destroyed entirely
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 02:16:27 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 02:12:12 am »

Everyone in Europe can go create renaissance republics, princedoms and monarchies. No need to descend into gangs of cannibals and road raiders.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 02:14:22 am »

Let's be honest here. We're a fairly spread out bunch, able to be such a nice happy family only through the magic of the internet. In the event of societal and infrastructure collapse, getting together is going to take a long, dangerous journey for most of us. It would have to be a long term goal. Though, we might still be able to keep in touch via radio.

What sort of doomsday scenario are we talking about? Nuclear holocaust? CelestAI? Zombies? 

seeds

As someone with a couple years worth of experience growing corn, zucchini, tomatoes, watermelon, onions and radishes, plus has a compost pile and both orange and apples trees in my backyard...I would not want to depend on planting and growing food for survival. It is not as easy as Dwarf Fortress makes it seem, and there are logistics concerns in regards to yearound food availability and needing to can things. Plus, I think an awful lot of us who do garden would have major problems trying to scale up operations to be self sustaining if the water were shut off.

People with aquaponic systems and a year of lead time might be able to do it. Most everyone else I think would have a tough time of it. Somebody with no experience gardening starting with a couple dozen packets of seeds? Not likely.

Yeah, the main thing with agriculture is you've got to wait for things to grow, so you're still SOL without any food in the meantime. Not to mention the type of disaster is extremely relevant to whether you could even grow things.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 04:56:12 am »

Oregon does mushroom farms. Sun not required.

Also it really isn't hard to grow stuff there.

Plant cucumbers on the side of the road.

Few weeks later cucumbers errywhere.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 06:01:25 am »

The issue I have with Oregon is that it's twelve thousand kilometres away... which might not be an issue, except for the fact that we have the sodding Pacific ocean in the way.

Planting stuff is kind of a mixed bag. Potatoes, for example, are a fairly low-maintenance crop - and in my garden, at least, continue to grow in spite of efforts to remove them.
My long-term plan would probably be along the lines of "acquire zillions of canned foods, grow and preserve many vegetables". It's not infallible, but it's probably more reliable than "hope for cucumbers".

In terms of apocalypse, let's say that 99% of the world's population vanished for no discernible reason, and many Bay12ers were among those who did not vanish. Saves mucking about with zombies or whatever.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 10:55:23 am »

Planting stuff is kind of a mixed bag. Potatoes, for example, are a fairly low-maintenance crop - and in my garden, at least, continue to grow in spite of efforts to remove them.

Asparagus and Lettuce grow fairly easily.

Let's be honest here. We're a fairly spread out bunch, able to be such a nice happy family only through the magic of the internet. In the event of societal and infrastructure collapse, getting together is going to take a long, dangerous journey for most of us. It would have to be a long term goal. Though, we might still be able to keep in touch via radio.

Where I live, my family has been growing a sizable garden that, when including back-stock, provided for the four of us for 3 months when my dad had his knee busted and couldn't work.  Also have relatives on my dad's side who are farmers for a living with hundreds of acres.  Can also stock up on fish from the pond that's there where, I kid you not, a bare hook was tossed in there and caught a fish, and a year or two ago on a trip, my dad and myself were at a single location for a whole day and never stopped catching fish.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 11:14:19 am »

Think you may have messed up the formatting there.

With a massive population decrease, becoming a fisherman becomes sustainable again, though of course you'd need a boat first.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 12:12:57 pm »

I'll just do what I plan to do. Stick with my cousins, carry a flamethrower. Save my little brother if my parents aren't alive.

Definitely keep my brother alive. Guy's a genius when it comes to making weapons out of scrap. Once made a working crossbow with popsicle sticks and duct tape.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7