Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Bay 12 Meetup: Southern California  (Read 9974 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Meetup: Southern California
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2015, 01:08:12 pm »

Any chance of Philippe's, LB? That could probably work for the other two, and it's a location you proposed, but it looks like it would have that LA traffic problem still.

As for a smaller meetup, Norms would work well for me, or anywhere in Huntington or Newport really.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2015, 06:24:08 pm »

Chiming in to say that I would be interested in attend the meetup. The only limiting factor are it needs to be on the weekends and preferably before 6ish. All the locations talked about are in the range I'm willing to drive so I will hopefully be there gas permitting.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2015, 10:10:35 pm »

if we moved it to Orange, it would be even more convenient for me, at least.

If we're going to have both an LA and an OC meetup, the OC meetup doesn't necessarily need to settle on the Norm's compromise. Some alternatives:

Norms
 * Is on the north end of Orange County
 * Is open 24 hours
 * Does not serve alcohol
 * Is a restaurant, isolated from other attractions we're likely to want to visit

Irvine Spectrum
 * Is more or less in the middle of Orange County
 * Closes at 10pm on Saturdays
 * Has a bunch of restaurants and bars to choose from
 * Has an arcade, a Gamestop, a fountain, and generally walkable places we might plausibly meander through while we talk

Harbor House
 * Is on the south end of Orange County
 * Is open 24 hours
 * Serves alcohol
 * Is a restaurant, but is within a mile of Dana Point harbor, a pier and a beach

I'm willing to go to any of the three.

Any chance of Philippe's, LB? That could probably work for the other two, and it's a location you proposed, but it looks like it would have that LA traffic problem still.

I wasn't proposing it. I was simply acknowledging that if you're going to do a user meet in Los Angeles, Philippe's is a notoriously famous venue. Used to do BBS meets there in the 90s back when the coffee was 5 cents per cup. People would order entire trays of it at a time. Plus it has seats, they serve food, and the parking is free. Meet at the pier and you end up walking around for an hour debating where to go. Meet at the museum you probably pay for parking, possibly admission, and it's boring so you leave anyway.

I don't want to make the drive to Philippe's, but it's a great place for an LA meetup.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2015, 10:42:22 pm »

Irvine Spectrum sounds best for me, that's within distance for me to bum a ride from my roommate, take an (overly circuitous but still short) bus trip, or, heck, even bike if I make sure to eat a proper breakfast.

What date would work best for this? I'd like to do it the week before the other one, since I have a relative chunk of free time this month, and finals season begins after the planned date of the LA one.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2015, 10:53:00 pm »

I can't really do anything further then 20 miles from my location.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2015, 11:00:53 pm »

That's okay, there can be multiple meetups.

For now, it looks like we're doing a meetup in the LA area on the 21st, and another meetup in OC on a yet-to-be-determined date. I (and possibly Acetech) will be at both. I suppose, if it came to it, I could go to one on Saturday and the other on Sunday of that week.

For the LA meetup: I kinda favor the museum, if only because it's been a while,we've already been to the pier, and its a mite easier to get to with public transit (and I could pay for admission for 2 other people). But then again I don't know what else is in the area around it, while the pier has still plenty of stuff to explore. Though, lessons learned from the last meetup, we should really plan some activities.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2015, 11:28:07 pm »

What date would work best for this? I'd like to do it the week before the other one

The previously proposed date was Saturday, February 21st at 8pm. If you want to move it to the week before, Saturday the 14th is Valentine's Day. That might be inconvenient for some people. Or...this being an online user meet, it might not be.

Irvine Spectrum sounds best for me

If Valentine's Day is inconvenient, and I note that the Spectrum tends to be crowded on weekends anyway, would maybe Thursday the 12th work? Though if we meet on Thursday,the Spectrum closes at 9, so we probably need to bump the time up to at least 7.

Roll call for OC meetup:
Since we're now discussing an Orange County meetup (which does not preclude the LA meetup), who is interested in the OC meet, and what are your location and date preferences?

Glancing back through the thread, for OC it looks like definitely HugoLoman, acetech09 and LordBucket, plus maybe Zalkoz (was ok with Norm's and the Spectrum is only about 15 minutes further south) and maybe Light Forger (weekends only, preferably before 6)

With the 14th being Valentines Day, and the Spectrum generally being overwcrowded on weekends anyway, I might suggest we have the OC meet on Thursday, Feb 12th. But if we do that, it means Light Forger can't make it, and it means that we pretty much have to meet earlier than 8, because the place closes at 9 on Thursday. I can make any start-time in the 5-8 range on Thursday. Or if a weekday doesn't work at all, we could do Friday night (that counts as a weekend, right?), they're open until 10, so the 8pm meeting time works, or we could possibly bump it up earlier. Again, I can probably do anything in the 5-8 range on Friday too. Or...Valentine's Day. I can do Valentine's Day, though I don't yet know what my availability will be in terms of time. Anything after 7 would be fine, and possibly as early as 3, but I won't know for another week.

But even if I can make it at those times, I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect anyone else to be able to make it there on a weekday before probably 6 or 7, or on Valentine's Day possibly at all.

Thoughts?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2015, 11:32:25 pm »

Oh crap, I got the dates wrong. I thought there was another week between the 14th and the 21st some how (elementary math fail right there). Yeah, V-day absolutely won't work, I'm going to a con in LA that weekend.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2015, 01:32:04 pm »

I'll only be in LA the weekend of the 21st. I live in NorCal and was going to be in LA that weekend anyway. Sorry, LB.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2015, 02:15:06 pm »

It's possible we could do the meetings back to back, one on Saturday and the other Sunday, but depending on how you're in LA, it might not be convenient for you to go anywhere in OC (Though maybe Norm's might still work?)

If it's just going to be LB and me for OC, I could do any weekend this month, excluding Valentine's, but including this weekend.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2015, 03:46:28 am »

LA people: Our meetup is rapidly approaching, it's next weekend! We should choose one of the two venues now.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2015, 04:03:41 am »

Either works. Pier prolly has more stuff to do. Museum has the science center near it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2015, 04:28:20 am »

Zalzok, Acetech, and anyone else interested in coming to the meeting on the 21st, you got a location preference between the museum and the pier? The day's coming up real fast here.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2015, 12:46:36 pm »

Zalzok, Acetech, and anyone else interested in coming to the meeting on the 21st, you got a location preference between the museum and the pier? The day's coming up real fast here.

Negative. Gimme a time and place and I'll do my best to be there.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2015, 01:02:32 pm »

Either works for me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10