Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Bay 12 Meetup: Southern California  (Read 9948 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Meetup: Southern California
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2015, 03:15:43 am »

I declare the Bay12 Meetup at the Irvine Spectrum a smashing success. In attendance were HugoLoman, IronyOwl, Lorducket and...acetyl...ace..actet...checking the thread...OH! "Acetech." Is that what you guys were saying? I must have heard the name half a dozen times and it sounded like you were saying something different every time.

*ahem*

And now, my nominations for...

Most event-appropriate outfit
 * HugoLuman. This was an user meet. Somebody is supposed to wear something unusual. Hugo did not disappoint.

Most awkward moment
 * The staring. Wow, that lasted a while, didn't it? I'm glad we managed to get past that, because I was running out of ice breaker material.

Crowning moment of awesome
 * The swordfight. Kudos to acetech for going down four times yet not once flling into the fountain. I didn't really think anyone would, but after that time you feel backwards and landed with your lower body on the edge of the fountain and your upper body not on the edge of the fountain, I started to think you might.

Crowning moment of daww
 * When IronyOwl commented on the shrieking children at the adjacent table, and I walked over to their table and put an end to their shrieking, and their parents thanked me for it.

Crowning moment of funny
 * When...while huddled under the awning with that family and IronyOwl proposed we find a Target to procure a board game to play, but didn't have a phone with web search features so he inquired if anyone else did so we could find a Target, and nobody but me did...so I pulled out my phone to find a Target and then succeeded in finding a Target, but was slightly sketchy on where the Target was because it was sort of in a weird area of Irvine that I wasn't familiar with, and so IronyOwl proposed that we all take one vehicle to the Target so that nobody would get lost, and then after agreeing to to take IronyOwl/Acetech's car to the Target and then asking where their car was...it turning out that their car was parked next to the Target...at the Irvine Spectrum.

Crowning moment of sad
 * Turning onto the freeway going south and realizing that Hugo was on a bike and he showed up 45 minutes late. Therefore he presumably had at least a 45 minute bike ride home...possibly in the rain. Sorry, I really should have offered you a ride home even if I was going in the opposite direction. Maybe net time let's meet closer to where you live.

Favorite innocent bystanders
 * Those two girls who were running and sliding in the rain. That looked fun. If I'd been wearing different shoes I totally would have joined in on that.

Favorite guilty bystander
 * That blonde girl giving me dirty looks when I walked up to her party and asked for venue advice, resulting in the two guys she was with no longer paying attention to her.

Least favorite food item
 * Whatever those CPK appetizers were. I think this is the only user meet I've ever attended with at least one starving college student where the "free for all" appetizers were left uneaten.

What I'm most thankful for
 * That the proposal to steal me away, murder me and bury my body turned out to not be a serious suggestion.

Best moment of bonding between fellow bay12ers
 * Sharing hair care tips with IronyOwl

Best Zombie Apocalypse hideout
 * Barnes & Noble. I know we talked about the Target but really now that I think about it those glass doors were way too big and the insides were way to open. And I'm not sure those aisles were movable. The Barnes & Noble also had glass doors but they were smaller and I'm certain lots of the bookshelves were mobile, so we could have barricaded the doors. Plus there was an upstairs area to fall back to in the event of breach. Though the Target probably had more food that the coffee shop at the Barnes & Noble. But we could have gone on food run sorties. It wasn't far.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2015, 03:34:10 am »

* The swordfight. Kudos to acetech for going down four times yet not once flling into the fountain. I didn't really think anyone would, but after that time you feel backwards and landed with your lower body on the edge of the fountain and your upper body not on the edge of the fountain, I started to think you might.
Y'all had a swordfight?!  :o

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2015, 10:49:56 am »

Dammit guys, now I'm jealous. I can only think of one other South African forumite, and I haven't seen them online in months.

Edit: although if any of you guys are doing the tourist thing...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2015, 03:44:10 pm »

Just one thing: Acetylene was the name. Acetech has (presumably) gone back to the bay area by now, and was at the previous meetup.

Yep, there was a swordfight. With balloon swords.

Earlier and/or closer next time would be best, though I think I'll take the bus and possibly bum a return ride from a roommate.

The bike ride was... a bit of an adventure. Entirely self-inflicted, though. I'd gone about 1.5 miles in the wrong direction on Alton before I'd realized, and then once I'd reached the wetlands trail the seat broke off on my bike, so I walked the rest of the way. Biking in the rain isn't so bad, but that was a bit frustrating. Don't anyone feel guilty about it, though. I brought this on myself.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2015, 09:25:13 pm »

...acetyl...ace..actet...checking the thread...OH! "Acetech."
Acetylene was the name. Acetech has (presumably) gone back to the bay area by now, and was at the previous meetup.
Asilidae!

Neither a regular nor an easy to remember name, so the fuzzy recollection is understandable.

Y'all had a swordfight?!  :o
On a dramatic ledge, no less!

What else...

-We determined that everyone in the group was bound by a love of Minecraft and pretty much nothing else. Even Dwarf Fortress couldn't quite pass muster.
-LB was the only one who brought visible child-silencing equipment.
-Awnings are a lie.
-Being savaged by vicious animals is a routine part of owning pets.
-We found a witch! We did not burn her.

We also determined that finding something to do is harder than it sounds. Everything we thought of was either counterproductive, contained hostile terrain, a siren's lie, in too many pieces, or the wrong age. We did eventually conclude that a fancy board game might make for an interesting activity, but by then it was rather late and we still didn't have the logistics worked out.

Still, having something planned out ahead of time might be wise for future meets. It was fun nonetheless, so my condolences to those nowhere near anyone else.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2015, 11:24:51 pm »

-We found a witch! We did not burn her.
Was she heavier than a duck?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2015, 02:19:07 am »

-We found a witch!
Was she heavier than a duck?

Wrong kind of witch.

having something planned out ahead of time might be wise for future meets.

Agreed. If we play a board game, I wonder if Hugo might be willing to volunteer his place to play. That would solve not only the where to play problem, but also his end of the transportation problem. Alternately, we could attend a Comic Quest gaming night. And the spelunking option has potential if we plan in advance and dress accordingly.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2015, 02:26:31 am »

I'd be willing, it just depends on my roommates. One tends to be out on weekends anyway, the other tends to be up late. Spelunking sounds like it might be more fun, though that's heavily dependent on the weather.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2015, 09:26:05 pm »

So, with spring break on the way, who's game for another one?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2015, 11:32:18 pm »

Might be, but I have no idea if I'll have other plans.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2015, 11:56:57 pm »

If there's going to be one in OC again, sooner might be better, since I'm probably headed home on the actual break. Though that doesn't entirely eliminate the possibility.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2015, 02:55:07 pm »

I'm returning to southern California for my spring break.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2015, 08:48:20 pm »

So, thought I'd put this here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150100.0

In the meantime, anyone want to do another one?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2015, 01:17:25 am »

If we'd like to do another Orange County meetup, to solve the "what to do" problem, Dave & Buster's at the Irvine Spectrum is demoing a new DDR machine for the next three weeks.

Meet --> play DDR --> eat --> play more DDR --> go home feeling the good kind of exhausted --> post to bay12 about how fun it was
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10