Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: preventing cave adaptation  (Read 11367 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: preventing cave adaptation
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 08:57:14 pm »

I have a central courtyard with a shaft up through the mountain so it's above aground and lit. I set it to a statue garden so the dwarves will stay there.

Unfortunately I think it leaves me exposed to flyers... like gobbos on giant bats... but oh well, it's cool anyway.
What's the town guard for if not to shoot down flying goblins?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 11:25:37 pm »

It's a problem for a fort under 9 levels of aquifer. I can't just dig that channel down to my (under the aquifer) dining hall, fighting nine levels of water-bearing rock and mud... and that's only the topmost of three dining areas. The marble dining area is definitely a lot deeper than that... I'm trying to make a set of dwarfs who are "daylight friendly" (the two squads of military are included in that, and the animal caretakers) and just putting up with the rest not being daylight friendly. But on their off time, all dwarfs randomly travel up to the sun occasionally... just not often enough. The top ten levels of my fort are green.

There also is some puking going on downstairs from the middle dining hall, but I think that's due to cave crocodile attack. The Forgotten Beast down there got one-hit by a militia captain, so it can't be that.

I'm fascinated by the "to prevent falling damage" thing. I've never had a dwarf fall down a staircase. Ever. Is it a common thing to happen with everyone else? I've had a dwarf fall out of a tree, but he had legitimate reasons for doing that, and for that matter someone had stolen his stepladder, so he was limited in his options to get out of the tree.
Is falling down staircases the result of fighting on the staircases? It seems such a unique problem...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 12:20:42 am »

I'm fascinated by the "to prevent falling damage" thing. I've never had a dwarf fall down a staircase. Ever. Is it a common thing to happen with everyone else? I've had a dwarf fall out of a tree, but he had legitimate reasons for doing that, and for that matter someone had stolen his stepladder, so he was limited in his options to get out of the tree.
Is falling down staircases the result of fighting on the staircases? It seems such a unique problem...

I think it used to be a thing but was taken out...
Cave adaptation is EASY to fix.

You know that legendary dining hall you have? Here's a simple 2-step process to make it into a theraputic relaxation center that can reverse and prevent further cases of cave adaptation sickness:

Step 1:
Channel out the ceiling overhead, and let the sun shine in!

Step 2:
Build a stone block floor where you channeled out the ceiling, to keep the filthy invaders out!

After that, your dwarves will spend enough time in "sunlight" that they stop being cave adapted, and stop developing the condition to begin with. It just takes a little civic planning.

That's how we did it in the .40d days anyway. These days you can get more than enough stone blocks to build a suitable ceiling.
Not super easy when my legendary dining hall is underneath my cistern, which took many dwarf hours to dig out and build properly. Cave adaptation is only really a problem for my military though, where being dizzy and in pain would make a difference besides making the dwarf uncomfortable and slightly slowing down their walking, so I think I'll just make the soldiers train outside...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 02:45:46 am »

I accidentally destroyed my lovely vomit and blood encrusted entryway after the years in game I spent being endlessly amused by cave adaptation being fixed. T.T

"Hmmm, I wonder if the changes I made to the world flooding mechanisms work properly... one way to find out!"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Awesome, but now I'm curious what dropping the two southern pistons would do... screw it, Pull The Levers!"
"Uh... whoa, that is actually a little too much magma... I hope that was just a wave and it doesn't keep..."
"...fuck. Well, at least there aren't any caravans due for a while."
*Some migrants have arrived* "....pffffBAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" 'Uh, are we sure this is the right place?' 'I'm not as sure as I was a few minutes ago, Urist.'
"Oh dear Armok maybe this wasn't such a good idea, shame the linkages to the magma pump brakes got trashed by some magma that leaked down one of the staircases... screw it, let it burn... wait, what about my goblin corpses and vomit paint job? NOOOOOOOO...."

*flashback*
R.I.P Goblin Pieces and Barfpaint, you'll be missed. T.T

*a dorf in the background starts to play a trumpet before horking through it*

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 03:01:15 am »

so I think I'll just make the soldiers train outside...

Yeah, I've had my military training outside since cave adaptation last was a "thing", so it's no change for me. A bit of a nuisance when the Forgotten Beast arrives in the caverns instead of upstairs, but otherwise all good.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

kingu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 03:34:05 am »

Ooooooh! I was wondering why my outside was covered with vomit after a huge stonehauling operation. And whe said operation took ages to perform. This makes the game alot harder. And more fun. (If it wasnt for the fact that I never get sieges in the new version that is)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 06:10:46 am »

You could embrace cave adaptation and abandon the surface. Really easy to do in evil surroundings, who would want to be outside in that weather?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 08:22:22 am »

You could embrace cave adaptation and abandon the surface. Really easy to do in evil surroundings, who would want to be outside in that weather?
Easy in evil weather, less easy when you rely on caravans for weapon grade metal...

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 02:43:46 pm »

Easy in evil weather, less easy when you rely on caravans for weapon grade metal...

Four "caravan entry chute"s, one for each compass point, guarded by chained dogs and military in  training, all leading to a central trader depot? Not that I've done that. Tempted to try it now though.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 07:38:28 pm »

I've moved my memorial halls to the roof and are currently building a dining room near the same spot. Now I have the memorial halls, the zoos and the barracks on the roof, and some food stockpiles below them.

I wonder if it is already too late. Because for months they hanged there, vomitting and admiring the slabs/cages.
Even some of my military dorfs are having this problem, even if I let them go outside frequently.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 08:01:32 pm »

I've moved my memorial halls to the roof and are currently building a dining room near the same spot. Now I have the memorial halls, the zoos and the barracks on the roof, and some food stockpiles below them.

I wonder if it is already too late. Because for months they hanged there, vomitting and admiring the slabs/cages.
Even some of my military dorfs are having this problem, even if I let them go outside frequently.

Nah, if they've been trapped underground for about three years straight it'll take them at least a season to lose the cave adaptation, just give it more time....

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 04:26:08 am »

Four "caravan entry chute"s, one for each compass point, guarded by chained dogs and military in  training, all leading to a central trader depot? Not that I've done that. Tempted to try it now though.

Entry chutes is how I do it. (I keep military central though.) Since then most caravans made it without losses - but I have only a somewhat mild syndrome rain (and resulting slush) and no reanimation to contend with.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2014, 09:01:45 am »

I LOLed after seeing my roof therapy in stonesense.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Incantatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2014, 02:37:17 pm »

Like with outside farming you can make a glass roof to the outside and build a statue garden or something.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 02:39:29 pm »

I LOLed after seeing my roof therapy in stonesense.

That's hilarious! Does vomiting make dwarfs hungry or thirsty again? Because I know vomiting usually makes me feel a bit empty on the inside.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!
Pages: 1 [2] 3