Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does Stress work exactly?  (Read 2730 times)

AraJudge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does Stress work exactly?
« on: November 17, 2014, 01:00:06 am »

I have looked on the internet trying to figure this out and I can't find anything. Even searching these forums I figured someone would have asked about it. I can't find anything here either. So I am here to ask:

How does stress work? I see at the bottom right of the screen the usual happiness levels are displayed. I have two dwarfs slowly going toward the red. When I look at the Manage Labors screen I see that it shows there stress levels... but i dont understand. All are green, most all are in the tens of thousands, and some are dark green some light green. I have one that is yellow and I figured that he was the one most sad, making sense he lost an arm in a fight and survived and is very upset about it. The old system was super simple number system. This whole tens of thousands worth of stress and then the - signs, what do they represent?

Sorry to ramble.. late and tired.. and very confused as to how I find the dwarf that is the least happy and get them set up for success.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: How does Stress work exactly?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 09:06:32 am »

Stress ranges from -1000000 to +1000000, and the negative effects start appearing at +100000, +250000, and +500000.

Stress itself gradually increases or decreases based on the emotions visible on the dwarf's Thoughts and Preferences screen - it basically adds up all of the positive emotions (to reduce stress) and the negative emotions (to increase stress) with appropriate weights on each one (since some emotions are much stronger than others), caps the two sums at 500, adjusts the stress boost based on the dwarf's Stress Vulnerability personality trait, then takes the difference and adds it to the dwarf's current stress level.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 09:10:46 am »

[...] caps the two sums at 500, adjusts the stress boost based on the dwarf's Stress Vulnerability personality trait, then takes the difference and adds it to the dwarf's current stress level.

Is that change applied once per game day or what?

Given that there are usually not more than a couple of dozen thoughts shown on the screen I would presume that the cap of 500 is rarely if ever reached?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:16:00 am by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

AraJudge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 08:31:04 pm »

That pretty much summed up everything I wanted to know. I was always searching stress and happiness, I never thought to look up Emotions. haha.

With that though does anyone know how long these emotions stick with a particular dwarf? I recently had a goblin attack. Slayed them all with ease (it was the first attack). When I let them lose to go back to work though they all started getting all these disgusted and terrified thoughts from the dead body's.

As far as the cap I have no idea how high it is, but I have seen way more then 12 in there thoughts.