Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So creature modding is.. Complicated  (Read 1059 times)

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So creature modding is.. Complicated
« on: November 16, 2014, 10:07:45 pm »

So I've been trying to create a new body part.. Called Armorscales, basically it would be layered on top of regular skin and it would function as a natural armor.. I'd make it a metal of some kind and not have pain receptors and what not.. Problem is, I don't fucking understand what I'm doing.. I added a tissue template for it but.. I'm not sure what else I need to do in the creature file, or any other ones for that matter.. Do I need to add something to body detail plan? Also where do I point to the material to use for this? Should it have "[SUBORDINATE_TO_TISSUE:SKIN]"?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, if it's possible I would like to make the creature emit some kind of poison when it's armor is penetrated if possible, maybe make it's blood some kind of poison? I dabbled in creature editing a long time ago and for the life of me I don't remember how any of this crap works. Any help would be appreciated.

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
Re: So creature modding is.. Complicated
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 11:09:35 pm »

What kind of poison do you want the blood to be?
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

Slidey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 11:14:46 pm »

This isn't a huge help but i believe if your looking for poisonous/etc id be looking at the Bronze colossus (i think it was) in the games files of one way to do poison upon penetration. IE have the blood evaporate at room temp and perhaps the creatures temp is different/lower normally (so blood on the creature wouldnt always evaporate but anywhere else not cool enough)..and the blood causes syndromes on inhaling/etc.

later on you may want to check out http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106397.0 for some syndrome etc "research" info

Good hunting.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 11:56:21 pm »

It's iron men you're thinking of.

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 01:43:29 am »

Thanks for the resource Sidey..

Lul @ Ironman.

And I dunno, I can do the actual type of damage and targeting stuff it does.. I just don't know how it would apply to the creature's blood.. I'm trying to come up with an interesting race that could be challenging (But not impossible to kill) and also fun to play as in adventure mode.. I was even considering making the skin something super weak too, or making it so the metal could collapse in on the skin and do damage to it kind of like bones do to organs.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 02:04:18 am »

You don't need targeting or anything, just add the [SYNDROME] part to the blood definition (either with [SELECT_MATERIAL:BLOOD] or right after the blood is defined with [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 02:16:49 am »

Hm, and just put that it works on contact? It's been awhile since I messed with syndromes.. That's kind of what my current problem with adding a whole new tissue (The Armor), I'm not sure in which files I need to point to the material.. Is it enough to just point to it under tissue templates?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 02:28:44 am »

Yeah, [SYN_CONTACT].

The material needs to be defined like every other material, with either [MATERIAL:NAME] or [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:NAME:TEMPLATE]. You probably want the latter with METAL_TEMPLATE. If you want the armor to be made of some other material, you can just define that in the tissue directly with [TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:MAT_NAME].

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 02:38:41 am »

Cool beans, I'll mess with this and if I have more problems I'll just post here again. Thanks for the info