Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suffocation and Badger Showers  (Read 1024 times)

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suffocation and Badger Showers
« on: November 15, 2014, 05:47:02 pm »

First, one of my dwarfs was walking down a hallway when she died.  I engraved a slab and memorialized her.  The slab says she suffocated.  How does a dwarf suffocate while walking down the hallway?

Second, this new fort, my dwarves die a lot, started on a high mesa with a huge waterfall down the south side.  So I tunneled down and built my meeting hall there.  At first it was fine.  The meeting hall had a waterfall in the middle, and half the room had a chasm through it.  But my dwarves were happy that they had seen a waterfall.  Then my brewer went missing.  Suspecting the worst, I found him at the bottom of the waterfall.  So I went back up and I floored in the chasm and put down grates over the squares where the waterfall fell through.  Things were better.  Except now badgers fall in and die.  Sometimes they crawl around a little before they die.  I've got dead badgers everywhere.  In theory, this is helping my dwarves be more resilient to seeing horror, right?  I should just let the badgers continue to fall in and die next to the meeting room table?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suffocation and Badger Showers
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 05:52:40 pm »

Did she have both lungs injured? Theres a chance that they can suffocate from that.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 05:55:20 pm »

Good question.

There was nothing in the recent logs, but given where she died she might have been recently hit by a falling badger.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 06:16:05 pm »

Make sure you breech the caverns.

Then you can sing "Badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger mushroom mushroom!"

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 09:21:53 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: It rains dogs and badgers.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 09:35:00 pm »

Did she have both lungs injured? Theres a chance that they can suffocate from that.

Broken spines and some paralyzing syndromes can also cause suffocation.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 10:50:35 pm »

I found a dead dwarf lying in a pile of dead badgers and dead monkeys.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 11:04:11 pm by schlake »

G1Radiobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 11:56:56 pm »

There was nothing in the recent logs, but given where she died she might have been recently hit by a falling badger.
Just wanted to say this is the first time I've ever felt safe clicking a link that says "Animal Sexuality".
Aiming is for humans.  A true dwarf just arranges for the targets to be standing in the right place at the right time.

G1Radiobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 11:57:36 pm »

Siged.
Just wanted to say this is the first time I've ever felt safe clicking a link that says "Animal Sexuality".
Aiming is for humans.  A true dwarf just arranges for the targets to be standing in the right place at the right time.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 06:07:29 pm »

If you can, you may want to build some grates or something to keep animals from falling from the sky... or start pitting animals directly into it, I don't know what kind of overlord you are...