Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: wombats, the meatiest of animals?  (Read 6297 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: wombats, the meatiest of animals?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 02:32:10 pm »

Oh yeah, you do need to set the animals to be trained from the animal page of the status menu... not sure if there's a way to train them without doing that, but if your animals are going feral it may be worth checking that they're set to be trained properly...

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 02:36:15 pm »

I never pasture my animals until they're at lea
If you want a crazy meat industry, check out Giant Snails.  They are immediately adults upon birth and can have litters.

Getting a mated pair is phenomenally hard, in fact I've only successfully done it once, but once you get that pair, you're set with Snail roasts for the life of your fort..

Shells, too, which is nice if you haven't got a nearby river or ocean.  Do snails even have genders though?  IIRC slugs don't.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 02:39:53 pm »

I never pasture my animals until they're at lea
If you want a crazy meat industry, check out Giant Snails.  They are immediately adults upon birth and can have litters.

Getting a mated pair is phenomenally hard, in fact I've only successfully done it once, but once you get that pair, you're set with Snail roasts for the life of your fort..

Shells, too, which is nice if you haven't got a nearby river or ocean.  Do snails even have genders though?  IIRC slugs don't.

Ah, forgot about that.  In my game they do, but I use modded raws that give all animals male and female castes.

In vanilla, they do not actually work for a meat industry.  My bad on that.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 10:37:25 pm »

giant snail shell is green.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 11:59:19 pm »

Do moose crack the differential in your car? Are their skulls harder than steel? Also, moose don't wander off after a hit to the head. Wombats are known to knock down houses, one stump at a time...

Wombats aren't the armoured vehicle of the animal world, more there's nothing but armour, they're pure meatshield beasts. There's just more meat in a much smaller volume.

(edited: Grammar.)
I wouldn't underestimate the moose. They're giant and herbivorous, but those things are mean.

Moose are known to sheer the cabin-area of the car right off when they hit. Moose are big, and aggressive, and scary as shit. They're basically the most dangerous animal on the North American continent. Seriously, we have a province where 50% of the land area is uninhabited because it's moose country, and not infrequently people driving through it just disappear with the cars/corpses being found weeks to months later.
The moose's hobbies include being fuckhuge, bludgeoning sled dogs to death with its hooves, and being aggro as hell in mating season.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 12:01:15 am »

Yup.  Bull Moose have been known to charge cars during mating season.  Of course, the moose population here in the States is declining and we don't quite know why, so they are less of a threat...and less of a source of meat.  No hunt this year.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 01:47:33 am »

Not to mention that mating season (at least over here in Europe) happens rich around when the uneaten season fruit start becoming very, very ripe. And then you get horny, drunken elks.
Love, scriver~

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 02:49:15 am »

A moment, with my sister:

She lives in Cape Breton, just beside the Cape Breton Highlands National Park (near the Cabot Trail) and I went to visit.  We were on the skyline trail (which is about 1 hour of fairly ho-hum hiking followed by *astounding* views, if you can go in your lifetime you should) and we ran into this moose, about 100 feet from us, right on the trail.

My sister turns to me and says "you know what to do if a moose charges, don't you?"  I answered "erm, keep a tree between you and it?".  She answered "that could work, or try to climb a tree".   I looked dubiously at the short, stunted trees, barely 15 high, and wasn't sure if those would support my weight (or stop a moose for that matter).

Thankfully, the local moose were quite used to seeing tourists go buy and he slowly walked off the trail.  We saw 3 more until we reach the coast - and then forgot entirely about the moose due to the view.

So yeah - moose kill people in Canada... but it's normally vehicle related, not face to face.  We know better than bug them.
hamster cheese supplies are low

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2014, 03:28:57 am »

Over here, if an elkmoose charges, it's more likely he's fronting and will turn away right before hitting you, from what I've heard. But who would actually be dumb enough to stay and find out?
Love, scriver~

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2014, 03:33:26 am »

A drunk man was basically shattered by an angry moose here. He was on the road near my house, was throwing beer bottles, broke one on a bull's face, the bull charged, and kind of flung his body into a tree.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 10:19:52 pm »

Hmm... I've got a breeding pair of wombats, though they aren't properly tamed (I'm using them for the zoo so I didn't really bother). Maybe this is a better use of them.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 10:58:52 pm »

Do moose crack the differential in your car? Are their skulls harder than steel? Also, moose don't wander off after a hit to the head. Wombats are known to knock down houses, one stump at a time...

Wombats aren't the armoured vehicle of the animal world, more there's nothing but armour, they're pure meatshield beasts. There's just more meat in a much smaller volume.

(edited: Grammar.)
Moose are worse to hit for your car simply because their body structure places a large mass right at your windshield, and spindly legs that don't affect the torso's momentum, so it tends to fly right into your cab and kill you. Which I would vote as definitely worse than just totaling your car, and whether the wombat has greater survivability on its own is beyond my concern at that point.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 11:57:16 pm »

Hmm... I've got a breeding pair of wombats, though they aren't properly tamed (I'm using them for the zoo so I didn't really bother). Maybe this is a better use of them.
well, they do appear to have more fat than cows, so if you are going to build a soap or tallow fortress they would give you a bit of an edge

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2014, 12:08:00 am »

Come to think of it, I haven't made a tower out of soap in quite a long time...

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 10:42:54 am »

There is a crash test type which is just like a weightlifting bar on sticks, to simulate moose collisions, naturally this is a hard test to pass.

As for wombats, as cute as they are, they survive in Australia, which is where evil wizards test their new creations, if it survives there, it is ready to use on your foes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3