Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WHAT. THE. HECK.  (Read 1474 times)

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
WHAT. THE. HECK.
« on: November 14, 2014, 06:43:10 pm »

So, I was happily modding, and I create a new world. To my surprise, even after genning several worlds and replacing my RAWs, unicorns and gremlins are sitting in caves, there are no dwarves, ogres (in my mod intelligent) are living in other fortresses, elves are in towns and hamlets, goblins are in forest retreats AND KOBOLDS ARE IN FORTS.

WHAT. THE. HECK. I didn't even touch most of those raws!
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT. THE. HECK.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 06:46:58 pm »

That sounds an awful lot like a duplication cascade, but I don't think I've ever heard of it happening with entities.

Did you copy an existing civilization as a base for a custom one without changing the title [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] or whatever?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 09:32:36 pm »

Another way to get RAW duplication bugs is that some text editors will create a backup file in the same folder as the file you are editing.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 10:13:24 pm »

That sounds an awful lot like a duplication cascade, but I don't think I've ever heard of it happening with entities.

Did you copy an existing civilization as a base for a custom one without changing the title [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] or whatever?
I did, but I'm quite certain I changed all of them. I'll check tomorrow when I have access.
quote author=Urist Da Vinci link=topic=145681.msg5808021#msg5808021 date=1416018756]
Another way to get RAW duplication bugs is that some text editors will create a backup file in the same folder as the file you are editing.
[/quote]
True, but I use Word and (on other computers) Notepad, andI don't think those do that... odd thing is, its only started recently, and I haven't changed their entities that recently.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 01:55:57 am »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 08:43:58 am »

Never use word to edit raws but instead try notepad++ or sublime text (or plain notepad if you are not using someone else's files).

You should have 'duplicate creature:x' in your errorlog.txt. Tha should tell you were things went wrong.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 08:47:27 am »

True, but I use Word
/snip
I cried a bit there. Here's a tip.
Never use word to edit raws but instead try notepad++ or sublime text (or plain notepad if you are not using someone else's files).

You should have 'duplicate creature:x' in your errorlog.txt. Tha should tell you were things went wrong.
Heh, I've got notepad on my main computer, but I've never used it because the default is Word (because I write so much...)

I wonder if that's the problem? And no, there is nothing in my errorlog... wait. No. There was a warning of dulpicate VULTURE (my mod), but it didn't show up again... I'll report back this afternoon when I get on my DF computer.

Espuma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 01:40:11 pm »

Heh, I've got notepad on my main computer, but I've never used it because the default is Word (because I write so much...)
Set .doc(x) files as opened by word by default, and .txt files as opened by notepad(++). That way, you can keep your writing, and you will keep sane through modding DF.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 04:06:18 pm »

Set .doc(x) files as opened by word by default, and .txt files as opened by notepad(++). That way, you can keep your writing, and you will keep sane through modding DF.
She works! I deleted the VULTURE file, and it works perfectly!