Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goshdarn Medical Academies  (Read 951 times)

verdigriss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goshdarn Medical Academies
« on: November 14, 2014, 05:30:59 pm »

I know I'm not the only guy who has tried making a building to train medical skills, so hopefully someone can help.
In building_custom.txt, I've got:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That seems to be okay, as the building shows up and is buildable as intended.
In reaction_other.txt, I've got:

I imagine something there is wrong, because neither of these showed up on the building's menu.  I even tried making 'practice bonesetting' not require a bone to see if it was the body parts that were messing up the actions.  No luck.
Finally, in entity_default.txt I've got
Code: [Select]
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:MEDICAL_LABORATORY]and
Code: [Select]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:PRACTICE_BONESETTING]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:PRACTICE_SUTURING]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:PRACTICE_WOUND_DRESSING]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:PRACTICE_SURGERY]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:PRACTICE_DIAGNOSIS]

Has anybody got a clue as to what is going wrong?
Also, is there a way to make a workshop heal a dwarf or animal's injuries, or even just to use a live dwarf or animal as a reagent?  Thanks in advance!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Goshdarn Medical Academies
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 06:10:29 pm »

In your building definition, the ID is MEDICAL_LABORATORY, but in the reactions you put MEDICAL_ACADEMY. The reactions are looking for a building that doesnt exist, and obviously wont show up in the one that does exist because they aren't set up to use it.

also, why are your dwarves practicing their medical skills on bars of lead? O_o
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

verdigriss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 06:17:39 pm »

Aw, man, thank you so much!  I had stared and stared at it and wasn't able to see the obvious error.
As for the lead, I just needed something that would come in and go out unchanged lead is soft and was sometimes used with a stylus to record notes in the days before paper. 
Ideally, I wish I could make these reactions use animals such as pigs or rabbits, but I have no idea how to make that happen.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 08:17:53 pm »

This is a really neat setup, and the reactions are clever, but IIRC, medical skills always succeed, and skill is only about speed, I think. Which significantly diminishes the motivation to bother to use the academy? Unless just for roleplaying.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

verdigriss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 09:28:02 pm »

Are we sure that medical skills have no effect beyond speed?  Infection chance or other variables aren't affected?  That aside, I feel like having some way to get a medical dwarf with skills who isn't rusty is an end in itself.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 12:24:19 am »

Don't those reactions take 1 lead bar and create 8?

Abadrausar

• Bay Watcher
  • empowering ideas
    • View Profile
    • ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 06:55:03 am »

This is a really neat setup, and the reactions are clever, but IIRC, medical skills always succeed, and skill is only about speed, I think. Which significantly diminishes the motivation to bother to use the academy? Unless just for roleplaying.
Even so ... if you have some dwarfs loosing all their blood, the speed of the medical treatements and the number of disponible medicaldwarfs counts a lot for the survival chances of your broken dwarfs,  that is critical for the survival odds of your fortress in the form of less tantrums spirals or at least more manageable ones.

Verdigriss you could also take ideas from some others already complete and working but somewhat stalled hospital training mods:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7818 DF disease mod: Cures, crazies and contagion (new) by Halfling
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3535 Dwarven Higher Learning Mod by Shukaro
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125633.0 Masterwork by Meph that combines ideas from some others mods about training buildings and reactions (also hospital training)

In this way you can see what have worked for others and make an starting point from there for your modding ideas, not all is done in the  skill training modding arena, for example the plant gatering herbalism skills has in the 40.xx series a bug where this skill never trains.

So an academy for the training of qualified herbalists is an interesting option for everyone that want to do some 101  DF modding.

With all those new brewable surface plants in 40.xx... , the key fact here is that the stack of gathered plants depends on the skill of the herbalist.

It is not the same to have a stack of (5 sunberries) from a shrub gathering it with a legendary herbalist that having nothing from the same shrub with a  dabbling herbalist.

Lead is not a healthy material for using in a healthcare system, you could use instead any stone boulder to clean a little the fortress and later you could use papyre
if you want a more developed mod.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 08:24:52 am by Abadrausar »
::: Humble Dwarf Fortress Publishing System ♫♪♀HDFPS♂♪♫ Mods Push Published in DFFD are auto updated in local Players Catalog :::

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 12:57:26 pm »

Are we sure that medical skills have no effect beyond speed?  Infection chance or other variables aren't affected?  That aside, I feel like having some way to get a medical dwarf with skills who isn't rusty is an end in itself.

I think unskilled diagnosticians could potentially overlook an infected wound. I had a miner succumb to an infection that wasn't listed on his medical records. It is admittedly possible the infection began after leaving the hospital, but he was in there for a couple months before receiving diagnosis, and infections often occur very quickly.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.