Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 Newb questions: Change squad arms, move a captured Werecreature  (Read 504 times)

Harpya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi, the title says it mostly:

1. I formed a military squad. Back then, I only had leather armor. Now, I have copper armor. I am totally confused as to how make them all automatically pick copper instead of leather, now that it is available. Do I have to disband the squad and re-form it? Do it manually? Is there any automatic way?

Also, speaking of automization: Can I make bring them to always equip with the best stuff available automatically?

2. I captured a werezebra who most of the time is a human. It sits in a cage in a stockpile. I would like to transfer it to a dungeon cage deep down. How can I do this safely?

Many thanks! Again, I googled like crazy, but appartently am too elven to understand the possible solutions...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Newb questions: Change squad arms, move a captured Werecreature
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 02:35:27 pm »

1: The quick way is to change their uniforms, either by assigning the other standard uniform (the metal one) to the squad (shift enter for all, I think), or by designing your custom uniform and then assigning it.
The slower way is to individually per member specify which pieces to wear.
Both these things are done from the 'm'ilitary menu.

If you just state 'metal' as the material, I think they will automatically switch. There is a drawback to that, however, due to how clothing replacement works. When your squad is at station, your smiths produce some nicer stuff. When you order the squad to move, their members check if there is new stuff available, allocate the shinier stuff, and immediately dumps their currently equipped corresponding item(s). When you release them from station, they will go and pick up the new stuff, but if there is a fight in between they may fight naked, without even woad as protection. Also, your "inferior" high quality steel armor piece is now dropped deep within hostile territory in favor of the masterworks steel armor piece.

2. You should probably get rid of it by releasing it when it is in human form:
Build the cage outside of your fortress (outside of your traps), build a lever (anywhere) and hook the cage to the lever. Wait for the were to transform and then transform back. Pull the lever. The human will flee the map, and will not come back (at least I've never seen any weres come back).
Otherwise, you can safely transfer the cage by 'b'uild 'j'cage at your desired dungeon location, or you can just have it sit in the stockpile.
I released the one I caught, because I suspect it spooked a caravan to turn away while inbound by turning FROM beast form into sentient form when they had arrived.

Harpya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 02:43:48 pm »

Thanks, Patrik, for the reply! However, regarding #2: this is where I am confused. The Wereguy is already in a cage. If I build a new one: how can I get it from one to the other?
EDIT: "cage" not "cave"
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 02:54:22 pm by Harpya »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 06:16:13 pm »

Cages are confusing in that they can be in a "deployed" and "undeployed" state (my terms, not official ones). A cage in a cage trap is "deployed", one actively 'b'uilt is "deployed" as well. One in a stockpile (built, bought, or with a trapped critter) or trade depot is not (nor are "dropped" cages "deployed").
You move cages by 'b'uilding them, generally. You can see the difference between a "deployed" and "undeployed" cage only in that a "deployed" cage is a building that can be examined with 'q' (and, if so, it can be "undeployed" by being 'x'removed, which sends it back to the stockpile).

Thus, when 'b'uilding the cage, you should select the one he is in already (use 'x'pand on the list of cages to see them clearly, otherwise he might be in one of the three zinc cages you have).

Harpya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 06:42:33 pm »

THANKS! I finally got it thanks to your explanation! You made my day!