Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: slow paced roguelike / rpg  (Read 3995 times)

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
slow paced roguelike / rpg
« on: November 14, 2014, 10:40:07 am »

So, lately I've fallen in love with boardgames, which you can also play solitiare (for instance Arkham Horror: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15987/arkham-horror)

The main reason is, I like the slow-paced gaming....you actually see what's going on (game mechanic) and the number of game elements has to be obviously limited.

Can anybody recommend me a slow paced (turn-based) roguelike or rpg in general ? Unreal World comes into my mind, but it's just not my theme....surely it is a great game
"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: slow paced roguelike / rpg
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 10:52:23 am »

Unreal World comes into my mind
Does it have a small enough amount of elements? I always thought of it as complex, for a roguelike.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 10:57:08 am »

Would a turn based strategy game suite your tastes? If so, perhaps something like Shadowrun Returns, Silent Storm, Jagged Alliance 2, Disgea, or XCOM would appeal to you.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 10:58:57 am by Flying Carcass »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 11:00:38 am »

The majority of rogue likes are turn based anyways so the pace can be as slow as you want.

Now if you want a horror based rogue like, without too much complexity, give a look into infra arcana, it's very good at what it does with the lovecraftian theme
http://infraarcana.wikispaces.com/

there's a thread about it there :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=89478.0
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:07:45 am by Robsoie »

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 11:06:29 am »

I know it's not a roguelike/RPG, but based on your preference for single-player slow-paced boardgames, you might want to check out the pc-game 7 Grand Steps, if you haven't done so already. I found it a bit too light to be worth 20 euros, but didn't play it very long, so I might have missed some stuff. There's a demo to help you decide.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 12:03:47 pm »

It... really depends on what you mean by slow paced. If you just mean turn-based, then there's only a short handful (less than a dozen or two out of a few hundred games) of roguelikes that aren't. If you're looking for a major resource for finding roguelike games, this is a good place to go looking. This link will take you straight to the games list.

Most any of the *band variants are expected to be played over a fairly lengthy period, for what that's worth.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 01:03:54 pm »

uh, The Temple of Elemental Evil perhaps? turn based D&D game

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 01:08:11 pm »

Does it have a small enough amount of elements? I always thought of it as complex, for a roguelike.

You're right....that does not fit in this respect.

With slow-paced I do not mean that it should not be complex but more for instance that you do not kill 100 monsters / turn. So more focus on stealth, more intelligent enemys and that.
So, in principal, I like games like Nethack apart from this.
My favorite PC game is currently Xenonauts...

Shadowrun Returns looks also cool, thx for that.

"No matter what you or anyone else does, there will be someone who says that there's something bad about it. Whenever somebody comes up with a good idea, there's somebody else who has never had a good idea in his life who stands up and says, "Oh, you can't do that..."

-Tom Clancy

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 01:12:19 pm »

If you like Arkham Horror try The Occult Chronicles.  It's a roguelike with a very boardgamey feel to it.  And it's Lovecraft.
Shoes...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 01:55:59 pm »

If you're in a boardgame vibe, and like slow-paced, fairly complex and intricate, you might be in the mood for some Battletech. We had a thing going a while back, and I'd like to think the introductory post I wrote is decent. The ruleset is complicated, but oh-so-satisfying once you get it. A roll of the dice can annihilate you. You can play alone against the bot using just MegaMek, though the bot isn't amazing. You can put together single-player (or multiplayer campaigns) for yourself using MekHQ. Or you can play online against other people in a massive campaign with persistence with MekWars.

There's also Blood Bowl, which you can get on Steam (Chaos edition), or play for free against other people using FUMBBL. It's a fantasy football game where your team is persistent across games. The ruleset is pretty heavy, but the basics aren't too hard to get. Gameplay is really tactical, and it's possible to estimate quite a few probabilities, like in Battletech. Both of these games take 1h-2h30m per game, so they're on the heavier side. But both of them feature really cool probability optimisation problems, lots of strategy, insane amounts of content, persistence, etc. They can be extremely fun if you're into this kind of stuff. They can also be incredibly frustrating when, after a 2h involvement, you lose because you get a derp roll of 2 which is the ONE THING YOU COULDN'T ROLL AND IT DESTROYS YOUR MECH OR KILLS YOUR BEST PLAYER. So yeah, if you can laugh it off, I'd highly recommend these two.

You might also like the Space Hulk or Space Hulk Ascension games that were released and are on Steam. The first one is a faithful adaptation of the board game, whereas the second takes some create freedom and makes the game more computer-game like.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 10:42:55 am »

Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead is pretty fun, though zombie apocalypse so might not be your genre

Daggerfall is fairly slow paced, especially for an Elderscrolls game, with a LOT to do.  Just install the Eye of Argonia mod with it so you have some view distance.

Fallout 2 is probably the best story wise of the series, and has the hex based layout which gives it a bit of a board game feel.

Pretty much any Infinity Engine game.

Incursion, a rogue-like which is based pretty heavily on d20 D&D.  It inspired Veins of the Earth(A T-Engine game) and does play a bit like a D&D game.

hawkeye_de

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 02:33:30 am »

Thx for the feedback guys, got some inspiration :)

-Tom Clancy

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 05:43:18 am »

http://www.amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/

This is a link to Sil, one of my most beloved roguelikes. Intelligent AI (they run from you frequently, archers kite you around hallways and doors, and enemies judge your power and might not ever engage you), interesting character progression, and there's tough choices every second of gameplay. If you can appreciate the LOTR theme it's even better! Did I mention it was great for roleplaying a weakened character?

It's not as slow-paced as you might be thinking, but I would check it out nevertheless - this is a roguelike that really got it right!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 09:26:25 am »

"Sil is great. Go play Sil. In the rain."
                        -Ernest Hemmingway

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 09:44:33 am »

You're right....that does not fit in this respect.

With slow-paced I do not mean that it should not be complex but more for instance that you do not kill 100 monsters / turn. So more focus on stealth, more intelligent enemys and that.
So, in principal, I like games like Nethack apart from this.
My favorite PC game is currently Xenonauts...

Shadowrun Returns looks also cool, thx for that.

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup is kinda like this early on, but you have to deal with legions of enemies later on, altough you can take a stealthy approach, there will always be some jerkass huge demon thing that can detect you through any layer of stealth lingering about.

Cataclysm can be as slow paced as you desire it to be, in fact you can spend 90% of the game hiding and running around gathering and managing supplies while you travel on an open world and only fight when you're forced to.

EDIT: Ooooo Sil, I found that times ago and loved it, but ended up not playing it after a while. Its really great if you liked angband, since its basically angband but slower, more tactical, better character development and not as terribly long (supposedly, I never finished it).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 09:50:54 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: [1] 2