Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Player has become enraged!  (Read 3422 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Player has become enraged!
« on: November 13, 2014, 10:21:46 pm »

So, I bet know we've all had to !!rage!! a few times playing Dwarf Fortress. Here, I'd like to start a place to vent your rage in words, and show off what has made you flip out.

Recently, I spent two and a half hours generating a large, heavily populated, savage filled, site filled, world, and wanted it to go to 1250 years. It got there. Still in the Age of Myth. YAY!!! But, one little thing happened just as my perfect world was about to finish...

Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Player has become enraged!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 12:00:20 am »

Player strikes the keyboard in the keys with his right hand and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Player: "Crap, where did my K go?"
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

boddha

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 12:22:21 am »

I've had problems with DF crashing more lately. I'm going back to legacy peridexiserrant for a little while.
It's frustrating to have to redo rooms and rooms of designation when your comp crashes randomly after a long season.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 01:17:44 am »

It's been a long time since I had crashes during gameplay, but world generation has always had a high crash chance for me (though usually at the point where it starts generating history, so not with too much time lost).

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 01:18:32 am »

Any older world for me crashes. This causes such heavy rage.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 01:36:09 am »

Player strikes the leopard in the keys with his right hand and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Player: "Crap, where did my K go?"

To look at it, press "K"... Oh, wait... Um...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 02:35:40 am »

How much memory is the game using when it crashes? I think the limit is somewhere from 2-4GB before you run out.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 07:37:54 am »

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:22:40 pm by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

WDDworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 08:22:00 am »

I consider Dwarf Fortress one of the most stable games around.. Including all funny glitches/bugs.
I think, for me, it only ever crashed during generation.. using wicked parameters.

Dwarf Fortress never enraged me, but I am often possessed

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 09:27:56 am »

I haven't had many technical problems with the game itself, though I have often run into edge-cases with 3rd party tools and stuff that I modded.

My usual rage at the game itself is more along the lines of "How dare you do what I said instead of what I meant?!" bits with the interface.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 12:08:12 pm »

One time I had a game crash because I turned on a mega-project. It was a colossal "fountain of death" that I carved into a mountain- 10x10 tiles and just over 100 zs high- with the intention of seeing what would happen if a goblin or two (or 30) were to be in the line of fire should I open the ground-level floodgates. The game crashed the very next tick after Urist threw the lever, on every reload I bothered to try.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 12:14:05 pm »

Crashing is why I don't go a full year in game without saving anymore. Losing hours of managing the fortress because the game crashed kinda sucks...

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 12:22:19 pm »

In one of the Init files you can turn on Seasonal Autosave so you don't have to worry about that. You can also turn on an initial autosave so you don't lose the Fortress before even starting.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 12:57:44 pm »

Seasonal autosave used to infuriate me, but anymore, yeah, I HAVE to have it on.  Even losing one or two seasons of work for me is like a couple hours, with all the designation and micromanaging I like to do in-game.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 05:43:15 pm »

Imagine  daily autosave.
I'm with stupid |
                      v
Pages: [1] 2