Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 2x2 fortess size, is this valid?  (Read 9314 times)

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2x2 fortess size, is this valid?
« on: November 13, 2014, 08:54:42 am »

Hello

So, I decided I wanted to try a new fort, and I think I accidentally reduced the fortress size from 3X3 (the default right?) to 2X2.  So the "playing area" I have to work with is quite small.

On one hand, this means I can see almost the whole map on my screen and I have to spend a lot less time looking for thing - and my dwarves don't have to run 300 tiles to get something.  It also improves FPS I've been told.   On the other hand, the edge of the map to the centre is pretty darn short (ie enemies are on top of you rather quickly) and there is less resources I imagine.

So, before I invest too much time in this fort... can this work?
hamster cheese supplies are low

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
Re: 2x2 fortess size, is this valid?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 09:04:27 am »

Sure, why not.
Expand vertically, not horizontally.  ;)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 09:10:11 am »

Hello

So, I decided I wanted to try a new fort, and I think I accidentally reduced the fortress size from 3X3 (the default right?) to 2X2.  So the "playing area" I have to work with is quite small.

On one hand, this means I can see almost the whole map on my screen and I have to spend a lot less time looking for thing - and my dwarves don't have to run 300 tiles to get something.  It also improves FPS I've been told.   On the other hand, the edge of the map to the centre is pretty darn short (ie enemies are on top of you rather quickly) and there is less resources I imagine.

So, before I invest too much time in this fort... can this work?

Yes, it works. Short notice for evil clouds or invasions can be a disadvantage but on the other hand you get more fun and less hauling. Be aware that it really is A LOT smaller and you do not even have a guaranteed adamantine vein anymore.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:03:32 am »

I recall dfhack even allows 1x1?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 10:52:43 am »

From what I understand, reducing the size does indeed vastly improve the FPS, especially for slower PCs where the FPS increases by untold amounts just by going for a 2x2 or even 1x1 embark(with DFhack). Some people also use the 1x1 as a challenge, to see how much skill they have at DF. Because the smaller the embark, the harder the game is. I guess most people dig a hole in the ground then and use a multiple Z-levels for areas where 4x4 embarks would use one.

But other than that, it is playable. Harder, but possible. I guess that you can make the path for invaders longer by channelling yourself an entrance on the surface and make a long hallway, which you can then fill up with traps as you would normally. After the hallway you can simply dig the main stairwell and go down. This also allows for a lot longer time for your dwarves to get in.

That you won't have to look for something can always be accomplished after you get a bookkeeper and accurate stockpile records. (You won't actually have to get "highest precision" right away, if you don't have any more of an item or category than the accuracy gets you, such as you don't have any more of an items than those 400 stones, then you can actually just get "medium precision" and you will be fine. When you see inaccurate numbers with a ? behind them then it's time to get one level higher precision.) You can then go into the status menu with Z and select Stocks, and you can find any item by pressing tab and then going into its category, finding that item, and pressing Z.

Also, a 4x4 embark is default :)
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

WDDworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 11:23:16 am »

I always use 4x4, but.. I think I might just be building on 2x2..
I tend to enjoy a bufferzone and not having entries at the edge of the map.

It is very much possible to play on 2x2, but wouldn't do so myself

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 11:28:41 am »

All my forts since v0.40 have been 2x2, to save FPS. Haven't gotten far enough for invaders yet. Perhaps I should expand to something like 5x5 for an added buffer. It'd be really hard to find ambushers in such a large area, tho...

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 12:16:17 pm »

Is there somebody who tried bigger embarks? Like 8x8 or even 16x16.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 12:20:05 pm »

Is there somebody who tried bigger embarks? Like 8x8 or even 16x16.

I've done 16x16 embarks. They are a lot of fun, and in .34.xx it was hilarious because I would get a message stating that a siege had come and it would take them minutes to get to my fort entrance, but by that time I had the whole fort on lockdown.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 01:29:57 pm »

I thought this thread was really about the actual fortress size

Falconbridge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 01:43:44 pm »

i always go for 1x1 embark size since v40.xx ( sometime 1x2 when i want a candy and a volcano ) for the fps.
it is well worth it, it forces you to build efficient fortress, and once you had your first siege you can build a wall next to where they spawn to delay them next time.
definitely doable, exept when zombies are involved

WDDworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 01:50:19 pm »

Bigger embarks didn't work for me last time I tried. (might be quite some time ago < 2014)
The start was often alright, but after a relatively short time it just became sluggish.

It's probably very much possible with specific hardware..

Wouldn't Dwarf Fortress run a lot better, using a better single core processor? (not that much into computer hardware)
Multicore support is probably more something to consider, if you'd kickstart this or something :p

But as said, I think my forts, themselves, are probably +- 2x2 large.. including the entrance itself

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 02:54:54 pm »

The default is 4X4, not 3X3?   Ah well... I think, had I known, 3X3 would have been a better compromise.  2X2 is a bit cramped, and I haven't been able to find any weapon-making ore yet (well, sliver but...)

This is a fort were trade will be vital obviously.
hamster cheese supplies are low

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 03:09:11 pm »

If you want 2x2 and good metal you'll probably need to up the mineral occurrence rate in world gen. That's sort of the one thing about smaller embarks. Your mining area decreases, but you still have the same needs for metal and ore.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 03:11:02 pm »

The one problem I've had with smaller embarks (I think I've gone down to 2x3 embarks, but no smaller) is lumber. There's less surface, so there's less surface trees, and if the fort is intended to have the same volume (although, as someone said, expand downward, instead of sideways) then there are less trees to go around for things like coal. This might not be a problem if you've got a form of fossil fuels though.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!
Pages: [1] 2 3