Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Melee dwarves can't attack forgotten beast  (Read 583 times)

CarbonCopy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Melee dwarves can't attack forgotten beast
« on: November 12, 2014, 09:29:17 pm »

I have finally delved down and managed a fort for a few years. I had settled in a goblin zone, but managed to not get sieged, to my chagrin. However, my FPS took a nose dive as a Forgotten beast of fire entered the second level of the caverns. with FPS death imminent, I decided to take the fool hardy challenge and go after the forgotten beast.

Before I even had a chance it went headlong into a blind cave ogre and managed to obliterate the thing without evenr getting attacked, never mind hit (with about 5 pages of combat log). I tried sending my (pathetic) military after it, but noticed later that the gits were just ignoring the order saying something about not being able to get to the bastard. Even my ranged military seemed to give it a shrug and "whatever."

I managed to send the army out with a move order. Actually it was difficult to do; I managed to make a corridor of doors and traps and I think the FB got stuck, but it wouldn't destroy the doors. they wouldn't move next to him until a brave miner took out a wall nearby and was promptly flambed - I don't think he will be remembered... Anyways, after the cooking lesson he wandered around the cavern some more, lighting up anything that wasn't already ash. (BTW, how can something made of fire just casually wade through water over their head? wouldn't that suck away their heat as it sucks out the life of my poor laptop? water should be magma to fire creatures... IMHO) I managed to squish in about 30 dwarves (I left it running while I went to work) and came back to about 3 dwarves and a rather pathetic combat log. they managed to survive longer than I had anticipated, but no one scored a hit. ...only a ranger attempted a hit. And so I get to my question.

It did not appear to me to be a flying FB (And he was busy bum rushing and knocking people down... if he was flying he'd be in range of someone) is there any other reason that melee attacks were not attempted? Is is possible he was flying without any indicator he was flying? (he only moved along the ground, and he was a quadruped)

Thanks for the thoughts, jeers and comments

IF I learned nothing from that fort, I learned that floor hatches are awesome.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Melee dwarves can't attack forgotten beast
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 11:08:27 pm »

Military forces ignore creatures made of fire. It's a bug, probably caused by their aversion to high temperatures.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

CarbonCopy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 09:08:09 am »

Even the poor blind cave ogre?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 11:34:11 am »

From what I've seen, creatures with the [CAN_LEARN] tag will not willingly attempt to engage in an area that will burn them. Ogres have the tag, so I'd suppose it'd make sense that they wouldn't engage it either.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.