Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: We Three Barons  (Read 4071 times)

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
We Three Barons
« on: November 12, 2014, 08:16:34 pm »

Forgive me if what I am about to say is commonplace but I don't use these forums much.

So I chose one of the founding seven as my Baron for his valor against a Minotaur, which turned out to be smart because he went on to save us from a 730 year old dragon while armed with nothing but a copper pick and a leather buckler.
Anyway
A season after the Dragon a message pops up telling me somebody has inherited the iitle of Baron. Fearing the worst I unpause to see if the existing Baron is dead only to be interrupted by another message about an entirely different dwarf inheriting a Barony. Long story short? I have three Barons, none of whom are related and each of them owns a seperate Fort and they ALL want their own expensive rooms and nicknacks.

So what happened here? How did my fort become a Baron Wasteland? Was there some mass slaughter elsewhere and we just now met somebody Baron the bad news? I haven't updated to the latest version yet so maybe it was a goblin raid?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 08:18:36 pm by MrCompassionate »
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
Re: We Three Barons
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 08:28:21 pm »

History keeps happening while you are playing since DF2014. Wars can be declared on you, enemies can conquer fortresses of your civilization and you have the honor to house the surviving nobles in your fort.

I recommend very small rooms with very heavy doors at the end of a looong corridor. Show them to their new rooms, lock the doors and melt the keys. ;P
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 08:49:13 pm »

Better, build them some lovely masterwork steel spike traps in their 1x1 room, and have the spikes popping up and down to ensure they can properly appreciate the dwarven craftsmanship that went into them. Ideally, have it activated by a repeating lever pulled by a dwarf whom they ordered jailed for violation of production orders.

Bonus points: have windows into the rooms of your other nobles so they can witness how much their friend appreciates dwarven engineering

PillarsOfSalt

• Bay Watcher
  • Bursting at the seams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 08:56:19 pm »

So what happened here? How did my fort become a Baron Wasteland? Was there some mass slaughter elsewhere and we just now met somebody Baron the bad news? I haven't updated to the latest version yet so maybe it was a goblin raid?

Simply unforgivable.
This is a terrible embark that has turned into an awesome embark.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 09:04:36 pm »

Simply unforgivable.
Agreed.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 09:05:11 pm »

I recommend very small rooms with very heavy doors at the end of a looong corridor. Show them to their new rooms, lock the doors and melt the keys. ;P
If one is dead, perhaps another one will just inherit their position?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 09:13:43 pm »

History keeps happening while you are playing since DF2014. Wars can be declared on you, enemies can conquer fortresses of your civilization and you have the honor to house the surviving nobles in your fort.

Ah ok so it IS a war of some kind that caused this. Maybe next time the Outpost Liason turns up he'll tell me all about it.
Also yeah I was aware of the whole active history thing. It is terrifying.
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 09:24:40 pm »

Could always try grinning and Baron it?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 09:32:19 pm »

But it's unBaronble!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 09:37:03 pm »

But it's unBaronble!
*nods*

Our work here is done.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 11:43:13 pm »

I've got four of them, well, two baronesses, with their "baron consorts" and two barons, with their "baroness consorts". It happened after I managed to get under nine layers of aquifer, so I just dug them their excellent bedrooms, mausoleums, offices and dining rooms and left them to do what they do, which generally is mandate things. I was amused by the fact that there's only one champion, and eight examples of nobility. Shouldn't they all have their own Champions?

Anyhow, more recently, all four of them got their duchy. More armour and weapon racks in their offices and so on (they want three of each, for each of them) and I put a whole bunch of statuary in their tombs (Which are covered in bone decorations from my beginner bonecrafter, he's getting better, but he's not there yet...) and one of them has the artifact featherwood bed in their bedroom, another an artifact cabinet in theirs, and a third an artifact armour rack which was a pleasant surprise what with needing so many of the damn things...

I've put the barons and baronesses into the military (with the Champion as their commander heheheh) but frankly, if they do die (Unfortunate accident, or forgotten beast, anything is possible) their descendants are here in the fort: They'll just inherit and the problem will continue. So I've just learned to live with them.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 05:33:03 am »

If one is dead, perhaps another one will just inherit their position?
Well, if you want to look into it you can check if they have family in your fort and if they or their potential heirs have item preferences. I'd prefer three barons without item preferences and mandates over one who wants bucklers or amulets. New nobles with stupid item preferences get The Bridge™.  :D
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

jax3639

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_BARE_HANDS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 06:12:42 am »

Simply unforgivable.

The first one was actually a bit clever and made me giggle

the second is deserving of... A HARSH STARE >:(
The bag weighs twice my dwarf right now, containing nothin but guts, vomit, and a dead kobold.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 02:15:34 pm »

Ah ok so it IS a war of some kind that caused this. Maybe next time the Outpost Liason turns up he'll tell me all about it.
It was envitable.  ;D

But, still, why not try and keep them all happy as a challenge? Its FUN.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 08:30:06 pm »

It was envitable.  ;D

But, still, why not try and keep them all happy as a challenge? Its FUN.

Yeah I shoved them all in the rooms I was going to give the potential queen/king or duchess/duke so they are pretty happy. It's pretty easy to make expensive rooms when you focus on making all furniture encrusted with gems.

We also just finished what we came here for which is a massive bridge spanning over the ocean. It's less an ocean (although it technically is one) more like an enormous lake with a point in the middle where both sides almost meet so I just bridged the gap with a granite bridge that took about 3 years to make and cost us well over a thousand granite blocks, should save people the trouble of trekking miles and miles around to reach our glorious motherland in the northwestern mountains. We started on the side which is a terrifying biome which may not have been the smartest thing I ever did because the weather literally beats the s**t out of you, bruising your whole body upon contact. It's how we beat the Dragon, it was slowed down from it's legs being bruised.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:33:18 pm by MrCompassionate »
Pages: [1] 2