Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: TV, movies shows, plays and other cultural things  (Read 1297 times)

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
Re: TV, movies shows, plays and other cultural things
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 12:32:08 pm »

I mainly (binge) watch TV series on the internet nowdays. I don't own TV and I haven't watched TV in years.

And as for advertising my all time favorite TV show; Deadwood.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 01:28:02 pm »

Another thing that gets me confused is the constant idea that we need something dying off and fading into history in our media.

Lord of the Rings had Elves leaving Middle earth, and Dwarves dying out. Clearly the evil goblins and orcs are still alive and well running the modern banking industry but you already knew that.

Star Wars had the Jedi dying off/being killed by a small boy who said it was impossible to kill a Jedi and then grew up to kill pretty much all of them.

There are tons of lesser known things (and even some well known things ) where magic is dying off. Merlin, tons of fairy tales, hell Final Fantasy VI (released orginally on the SNES as Final Fantasy III) with the espers.

On the subject of video games, Starcraft. The Protoss.... They've been dying off forever. Listen to that dark templar guy whose name begins with Z and you'll hear all about how they're screwed. He even gives James Raynor a crystal and makes him play a level where the protoss are exterminated by zerg and hybrid. A major overarching story arc is the ancients coming back to "complete the cycle" with the Zerg finally assimilating the Protoss and the rise of the hybrid. Blizzard has been actively nerfing the heck out of the protoss forever and even in their own upcoming expansion Legacy of the Void, current plans are to screw the Toss. Toss can't seem to get reaver especially without paying for scarab ammo, but swarm hosts are fine and now the locusts may even fly while being spawned on the move..... Additionally, roaches are even more broken and have area effect mortars, and basically the zerg are going to kill the toss at this rate :P.

Then go back to all those disaster movies. In the movies, 2012, After Earth, etc, WE die off. Once again, look at The Walking Dead.... Game of Thrones seems to have an endtime motif with the whole starvation in the capital and white walkers thing.... There are almost too many examples to get into.

Hell, it even has biblical references. Noah's Ark anyone?

We don't see people building things anymore. We don't see development of positive things. I honestly can't think of too many shows where it has a constructive message where things are getting better or there's even a serious effort at it. Can you?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 01:29:54 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 01:40:28 pm »

Half of that is the somewhat old now idealization of pastoral life, the honor and &c. of the middle ages, and a negative view of industrialization and urbanization. Heck, LotR is practically an author tract about the evils of the latter pair, and in addition to the obvious things like environmental damage, industrial war, &c. there are also little touches like the dwarves (skilled and wise artisans who hand-made incredible works) dying out and being replaced by the impersonal production line, both in terms of Saruman's farming of Orcs and the mass-poured swords, &c. If you really want to stretch things you could probably read The Hobbit as a Marxist work, too, but that's just the nature of lit crit as being incredible easy to manipulate.

The other half, of course, is rooted in the good old fashioned death-fetish that just about every human culture has in one form or another.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 09:07:59 pm »

I must say Adventure Time is a surprisingly decent show. You take one look at it cause your friend's 10 year old is all about it, and think, the art isn't that great. But, then, you watch it a bit and it's surprisingly good. The idea seems to be a show built around relatable characters flexible enough to be put into tons of different situations with the flexibility of a strangely kid friendly yet decent RPG setting.

House was a decent enough show until its shark jumping moment. Its main title character became the one you wanted to root for and his accomplishments all the more impressive due to his condition. He did end up being kind of an asshole with the drug storyline though. It's nice to see some show praising intelligence out there even if it is in the form of pure 100% undiluted snark.

For whatever reason, my dad seems to spend nearly all his time watching Fox News and Car shows. I prefer the car shows because he's not throwing things at the TV screen when he watches those. What he's really doing is watching people work. This is not the only show like this that is popular and the type has its roots back in Bob Villa, who it seems was just in the wrong time. Now we have a whole network devoted to fixing up houses HGTV. I don't know when watching people work because a TV show type, but it seems to be one now. I actually don't get it. Why is this a thing?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 10:15:10 am »

I like how adventure time is filled with a lot of back story and deeper less kid friendly things that you either search for or can even listen to the characters talk about if you pay attention
Like the nuclear apocalypse
Or that the candy kingdom is built ontop of a river of nuclear/hazardous waste, or that Fin isn't actually fully human (aparently he is slightly mutated because his eyes are different than other humans in the show- or so I have read), also the fact that the human race is practically extinct and Fin is an orphan
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 05:43:28 pm »

The first thing I liked about adventure time was how dense it is.  They fit a lot of content into 10 mins compared to most shows.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 [2]