Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Request for a new type (or types) of stone  (Read 13280 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Request for a new type (or types) of stone
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2014, 12:09:54 am »

Can we all agree that additions should be dwarfy?
I disagree. There's petrified wood in DF, which I wouldn't consider dwarfy at all. It's downright elfy that a tree should be immortalized in such a way. (And it's magma-safe! >:()
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:16:46 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2014, 01:36:37 am »

Can we all agree that additions should be dwarfy?
I disagree. There's petrified wood in DF, which I wouldn't consider dwarfy at all. It's downright elfy that a tree should be immortalized in such a way. (And it's magma-safe! >:()
I feel like stone magma safe trees are incredibly dwarfy, and does the method of getting them (Mining) not make them even more dwarfy?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2014, 10:38:46 am »

If its named Dwarven wool, what the heck is that?
 Rock cloth, why bother when I can just steel cloth from the elves?

As for the name, my point is that the name is seen as industrial era, as is pig iron. Noone has an issue with using the modern name for pig iron for pig iron in DF, and I imagine that few-to-none with care about using asbestos for asbestos, even a tuned down version.

Well, amianthus as I am now calling it has a very high melting point. Magma-proof ropes, bags cloth etc would certainly have a few uses. At the very least a cloak that doesn't catch fire from fire breath would be handy, or an asbestos rope to restrain guests in your magma flooding chamber.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2014, 11:17:08 am »

Asbestos (as I insist on calling it) is a strong, fibrous, inert material made from stone. There is little more dwarven than making fireproof cloaks from stone, even though it may cause !!fun!! in the long term. Asbestos can fireproof furniture, plaster and even dwarves themselves, as long as players accept the long term consequences...
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2014, 12:56:04 pm »

Asbestos isn't actually magma safe in real life. It melts within 50-100 degrees or so of most magmas, and some versions would melt lower than the average magma. Even the highest rated version (chrysotile) would likely begin to disintegrate and lose any strength and fuse and things like that in any magma, even if not straight up melting.

(which isn't super surprising since it's a rock itself, and a pretty midrange one for melting)

Not particularly less realistic than, say, glass being magma safe (which would act like a semi-liquid and slump into a useless blob in any magma in real life), but just saying. It would be nice to revamp the whole list at some point anyway.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2014, 03:16:04 pm »

asbestos ropes would be cool as they would have to heat up to melt and if used in a magma well with magma proof buckets, this would be a great addition, i would love to have a fill pond with magma option. Always thought of how cool it would be to have some sort of magma hauling

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2014, 03:17:07 pm »

i realize that most ropes would melt if held in magma but this purpose is to quickly dip a bucket into magma not hold the rope in magma

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2014, 04:57:46 pm »

Asbestos isn't actually magma safe in real life. It melts within 50-100 degrees or so of most magmas, and some versions would melt lower than the average magma. Even the highest rated version (chrysotile) would likely begin to disintegrate and lose any strength and fuse and things like that in any magma, even if not straight up melting.

(which isn't super surprising since it's a rock itself, and a pretty midrange one for melting)

Not particularly less realistic than, say, glass being magma safe (which would act like a semi-liquid and slump into a useless blob in any magma in real life), but just saying. It would be nice to revamp the whole list at some point anyway.

Notice I said fire safe, not magma safe. Many currently magma safe materials should not be, including glass and this asbestos - revamp the whole list, as you said.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2014, 06:43:03 pm »

This is a game, making things too real could ruin it, Candy for example is not a real substance but it exists, this is kind of a fantasy game.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2014, 07:27:13 pm »

Notice I said fire safe, not magma safe. Many currently magma safe materials should not be, including glass and this asbestos - revamp the whole list, as you said.
Right, and both manzeenan and reelya said magma safe. Which yes it would be by the current strict rules, but I'd prefer not to keep adding on MORE features to a broken list if possible.

This is a game, making things too real could ruin it, Candy for example is not a real substance but it exists, this is kind of a fantasy game.
What point are you getting at here? Which particular suggestion mentioned above exactly do you think would "ruin the game?"
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2014, 08:02:37 pm »

i realize that most ropes would melt if held in magma but this purpose is to quickly dip a bucket into magma not hold the rope in magma
It'd make more sense to allow a chain in place of the rope (iirc iron is magma safe).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2014, 10:12:39 pm »

I was talking about going too far in the name of realism

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2014, 10:16:48 pm »

and wait a minute when did i say magma safe? was it misinterpreted from the well or am i just missing it? to clarify the well thing, 100-50 degrees would take a little bit to heat up the asbestos but it would not be nearly fast enough to melt the rope in the time it takes to get a bucket of magma
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:22:10 pm by Manzeenan »

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2014, 10:19:12 pm »

It'd make more sense to allow a chain in place of the rope (iirc iron is magma safe).
I definitely agree, just speaking my thoughts but i sitl think that it would be cool to have magma hauling, itd be like hauling 1/7 of a boulder because a full tile is 7 deep equaling (sort of) 1 obsidian tile/boulder

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2014, 10:36:44 pm »

Regarding the "Fun" consequences of Asbestos, lead, quicksilver and arsenic i say we can Handwave those with dwarven biology, depending on whats the actual biological history of dwarves theyr bodies could have evolved to withstand heavy metal poisening (or filtering out heavy metals efficiently). Actually it would be fun if your dwarves drink from lead goblets without ill effect while everyone else gets the !!fun!!. That wouldnt even be out of reach for the current syndrom-system. That wouldnt be that far off from basic D&D, TDE or other games where dwarves already have a resistance to mineral based poisons.

Personaly i am for adding asbestos, name it that or amianthus and give it a descriptive prefstring/description.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9