Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Request for a new type (or types) of stone  (Read 13300 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Request for a new type (or types) of stone
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2014, 05:49:52 pm »

And whats to say that Toady wouldent add all those things, and more, if/when he adds asbestos? If you look, there is atleast one mod that adds most of those things. It dosent have asbestos, sadly...
Well that's fine then, but that's not the suggestion in this thread, so that's not what we were responding to. It's for just asbestos, not "add a whole bunch of toxic substances and effects, please."

If you were to add the toxins all at the same time, then the cancer, etc. would be fine.

I still would avoid "asbestos," as mentioned earlier in the thread, as a label, just because it has modern connotations, regardless of whether it isn't actually exclusively modern. I like the idea of using a historical name for it as suggested a little ways up, as a compromise in between "asbestos" and "dwarven wool"

Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2014, 05:54:00 pm »

Pig iron has modern connotations. I have only seen it mentioned in modern contexts.
There are a number of other things that fall under that same stigma.

Also, what would you call it that allows the player to figure out roughly what it does?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2014, 06:18:05 pm »

Pig iron has modern connotations. I have only seen it mentioned in modern contexts.
There are a number of other things that fall under that same stigma.

Also, what would you call it that allows the player to figure out roughly what it does?

Rock-cloth? Its a rock that you make into cloth. 

Yeah, but no one dies and sues the government over pig iron.  Asbestos has a very heavy "sins of the industrial era" connotation tied to it.  Its been phased out (mostly) and is no longer in use, but pig iron is.  And while the name pig iron is new, it's always been a crucial part of steel production.  Hell, you can even find iron ore that is already pig iron (the japanese called it tamahagane and the europeans just avoided it until they learned about steel production).  However, I wouldn't mind calling pig iron by one of its ancient names if you insist. 

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2014, 06:26:37 pm »

If its named Dwarven wool, what the heck is that?
 Rock cloth, why bother when I can just steel cloth from the elves?

As for the name, my point is that the name is seen as industrial era, as is pig iron. Noone has an issue with using the modern name for pig iron for pig iron in DF, and I imagine that few-to-none with care about using asbestos for asbestos, even a tuned down version.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2014, 09:58:32 pm »

Noone has an issue with using the modern name for pig iron for pig iron in DF
I do not have a problem with it, because I do not associate pig iron with the modern era. If anything it feels quaint to me like "Aw that's cute, they're actually pouring ingots of iron all Skyrim style and stuff, instead of truck sized beams in football field sized electric arc foundries"

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2014, 07:48:24 am »

If its named Dwarven wool, what the heck is that?
 Rock cloth, why bother when I can just steel cloth from the elves?

As for the name, my point is that the name is seen as industrial era, as is pig iron. Noone has an issue with using the modern name for pig iron for pig iron in DF, and I imagine that few-to-none with care about using asbestos for asbestos, even a tuned down version.
Few-to-none will run into a new material without checking it on the DF wiki (Toady One wrote the game and he said he refers to the wiki). There would be a friendly note about Amianthus's modern name.  I recall a couple articles mentioning that the materials are really poisonous, but Dwarves will happily swill beer from barrels of the stuff.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2014, 02:08:05 pm »

Are ingots of iron actually mentioned in DF? I thought the "iron bars" were somewhat bigger, more like modern sheet metal or metal blocks, given that players can build things from them.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2014, 02:29:02 pm »

Are ingots of iron actually mentioned in DF? I thought the "iron bars" were somewhat bigger, more like modern sheet metal or metal blocks, given that players can build things from them.
Given their implicit size of 600 cm3, they are slightly smaller than the gold bullion ingots from all the movies.

Though they might be a different shape.  Remember, bars of iron are the same size as bars of soap.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2014, 02:33:29 pm »

They are either 150 or 1500 cubic centimeters, I always forget whether it's supposed to be multiplied by ten or not.
150 is nothing. That's like half a cup (kitchen measure).

1500 is still almost nothing, the size of a small red brick.

Just pretend that iron walls are like 0.5 millimeter thick, and might break if you breathe on them too hard =P
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 02:36:15 pm by GavJ »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2014, 02:40:51 pm »

They are either 150 or 1500 cubic centimeters, I always forget whether it's supposed to be multiplied by ten or not.
150 is nothing. That's like half a cup (kitchen measure).

1500 is still almost nothing, the size of a small red brick.

Just pretend that iron walls are like 0.5 millimeter thick, and might break if you breathe on them too hard =P
A bar is 150 units of product, but going by the mass and density of a material a bar works out to 600cm3 of volume.  So one unit of raw material is 4cm3.
Just got back, updating:

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2014, 03:04:22 pm »

Ugh, this game is so terrible with units. Not as bad as each unit of "population requirement for sieges" equalling 27 dwarves, but still not great...

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2014, 03:27:05 pm »

If anyone has heard the term suspension of disbelief it would be a good idea to apply it in this topic

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2014, 03:51:11 pm »

If anyone has heard the term suspension of disbelief it would be a good idea to apply it in this topic
Sometimes the disbelief requires suspenders and a belt to keep it in place.

It seems reasonable to give asbestos a non-modern-sounding name (which could be changed with modding anyway), and to put it in the category of hazardous materials when such a thing exists.  Singling it out for special hazard treatment would be even more jarring than learning that Dwarves wear asbestos socks.

Any number of materials could be given small health effects that accumulate over time, maybe a bunch of counters that leads to various health problems (usually) late in life.  Bonus points if the player has some mitigating strategies available (lacquering the asbestos, miners' mustaches, etc.)
Just got back, updating:

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2014, 03:59:15 pm »

Unfortunately, I am largely incapable of doing this.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2014, 04:12:45 pm »

Can we all agree that additions should be dwarfy?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9