Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Request for a new type (or types) of stone  (Read 13322 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Request for a new type (or types) of stone
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2014, 07:31:48 pm »

It'll boil it if exposed long enough.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2014, 07:45:49 pm »

But will it turn to plasma?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2014, 08:08:50 pm »

Why are your conversions different? I'm fairly sure rankine is just urists -9540... unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "conversion"
Because there is no DF value for asbestos. And there is no NON-DF value for dragonbreath, so you need to convert both to some common unit. And if you want a correct ratio, it needs to be a unit that zeroes at absolute zero, thus Rankine instead of urists or fahrenheit.

(I did make an addition error there in my post, but the ratio is still 8%.)

i don't think including dragonbreath in the conversation is really necessary
Uh, mentioning dragon fire is not necessary in a discussion about a material whose sole purpose in the game would be protecting dwarves from fire.....?

Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2014, 03:08:42 am »

I don't think including dragonbreath in the conversation is really necessary
Uh, mentioning dragon fire is not necessary in a discussion about a material whose sole purpose in the game would be protecting dwarves from fire.....?

I just see it as a really dorfy substitute for cloth. Whether or not it's an insulator for fire situations could be fun, or Fun, or not. But it wouldn't have to be an insulator. I don't see many dragons in my forts anyhow.
That said, asbestos boots plus a nice hot magma floor could be hilarious, especially if the dwarf isn't wearing asbestos in the rest of his clothing.
Urist McMagmaforger was embarrassed about not wearing clothing recently....
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2014, 02:41:52 pm »

Most of what was asked for here could be modded in - resistance to dragonfire being the only real exception, and even that could be sort of cludge-fixed by making finished asbestos cloth have a much higher melt/boil point.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2014, 06:17:10 pm »

Most of what was asked for here could be modded in - resistance to dragonfire being the only real exception, and even that could be sort of cludge-fixed by making finished asbestos cloth have a much higher melt/boil point.
You could give the material impressive insulation qualities and a gamey fixed material temperature close to Dwarf homeotherm.  Note sure how well that would protect the Dwarf wearing it, but the clothing itself would survive.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2014, 07:44:33 pm »

Seems way too gimmicky and anachronistic to me to be put in vanilla.

I would suggest a mod for this as more appropriate, which is already pretty easy to make with the modding tools available (raws alone)

Asbestos was known and worked in pre-Christian times. The romans used it and even wrote about the lung diseases miners and workers got. It's not anachronistic, just most people don't know the history. Links:

http://www.asbestos.com/asbestos/history/
http://www.mesothelioma-help-network.com/mesothelioma/articles/history_of_asbestos/index.html
http://www.unrv.com/economy/asbestos.php

The earliest uses of asbestos date back almost 3,000 years to what is now considered Scandinavia, where archeologists have found pottery and chinking of log homes that utilized asbestos. But asbestos use became more prevalent during the apex of the Greek civilization when the "mystical" properties of asbestos made it almost as valuable as gold.  In fact, chrysotile, the most common form of asbestos in use today, is Greek for gold (chrysos) fiber (tilos). 
The Romans mined or quarried asbestos from all over Europe and the Mediterranean. It was used in literally hundreds of products because it is strong, insulates well, and resists fire and corrosion. The ancient Greeks used asbestos in their cloth and the Romans used it in their building materials. They wove asbestos fibres into fabrics to make towels, napkins, nets and head coverings for women. It was also used in cremation robes and candlewicks and may have been used in the everlasting flame that was kept alight by the Vestal Virgins.

In the first century AD the geographer, Strabo, identified the first Greek asbestos quarry on the Island of Evvoia. Fibrous stone threads were combed and spun like wool in the process of making cloth-like products. As an example of Roman knowledge of its fire-retardant properties, Strabo writes, ""which is combed out and woven, so that the woven material is made into towels, and, when these are soiled, they are thrown into fire and cleansed, just as linens are cleansed by washing." The Romans called asbestos, amiantus (unpolluted), as a reflection of this easy to clean property and it remains the root of the French word (amiante) today. The 1st century historian Pliny the Elder also wrote of the qualities of asbestos. He noted "it is quite indestructible by fire," and "affords protection against all spells, especially those of the Magi."

Asbestos was widely known in other cultures as well. The Ancient Egyptians embalmed pharaohs with it and made clothing containing asbestos fibres to improve durability. Ancient Scandinavian peoples mixed it in pottery and sealed cracks in their log huts with it. The Persians imported 'stone wool' from India and they thought that this material was made from the hair of small rat-like animal, which lived in fire and died by water. When the Persians burned the bodies of their dead, they first wrapped them in linen called linum vivum, woven from the stone asbestos. Put into the fire, this cloth wouldn't burn, and so the ashes were preserved and kept safe to be put into the sepulcher.

In medieval times it was used as insulation in suits of armour...

As it dates back 3000 years, it's acceptably "vanilla". And it's use as an anti-dragon-breath additive in armor would have an actual medieval basis.

The negative health effects of asbestos were also known to the Romans. Both Strabo and Pliny also mentioned the sickness that seemed to follow those who worked with asbestos. It was recommended never to buy asbestos quarry slaves as they often "died young". Lung ailments were a common problem to anyone who worked with asbestos fibres. Pliny even made reference to the use of a transparent bladder skin as a respirator to avoid inhalation of the dust by slaves.

So they knew this stuff made you sick.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 07:52:23 pm by Reelya »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2014, 09:38:38 pm »

Interesting, they said that it resisted magic?

Another use spotted!
Highly Opinionated Fool

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2014, 10:25:05 pm »

Fire resistant armor. Not magic. Dragon Breath is fire. Asbestos was used as insulation in armor. In a fantasy setting that can stretch to anti-dragon breath.

Although there is evidence that some people used asbestos cloths fireproof nature to claim they had supernatural powers.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 10:27:14 pm by Reelya »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2014, 10:40:44 pm »

The Romans mined or quarried asbestos from all over Europe and the Mediterranean. It was used in literally hundreds of products because it is strong, insulates well, and resists fire and corrosion. The ancient Greeks used asbestos in their cloth and the Romans used it in their building materials. They wove asbestos fibres into fabrics to make towels, napkins, nets and head coverings for women. It was also used in cremation robes and candlewicks and may have been used in the everlasting flame that was kept alight by the Vestal Virgins.

In the first century AD the geographer, Strabo, identified the first Greek asbestos quarry on the Island of Evvoia. Fibrous stone threads were combed and spun like wool in the process of making cloth-like products. As an example of Roman knowledge of its fire-retardant properties, Strabo writes, ""which is combed out and woven, so that the woven material is made into towels, and, when these are soiled, they are thrown into fire and cleansed, just as linens are cleansed by washing." The Romans called asbestos, amiantus (unpolluted), as a reflection of this easy to clean property and it remains the root of the French word (amiante) today. The 1st century historian Pliny the Elder also wrote of the qualities of asbestos. He noted "it is quite indestructible by fire," and "affords protection against all spells, especially those of the Magi."
and "affords protection against all spells, especially those of the Magi."
Highly Opinionated Fool

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2014, 10:44:24 pm »

haha lol i missed that last bit of that paragraph from my own quote. my bad.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 11:23:54 pm »

In GavJ's defense, while Asbestos was used in many cultures across the world since antiquity... it is most commonly associated with the industrial revolution era of history.  Fantasy games don't include Asbestos unless they want to be tongue-in-cheek about their fire resistant armor.  The point is that in a world of dragons where basic steel production and waterwheels are the height of technology... asbestos just seems out of place.  Yes... technically the technology and general wide-spread use is there (like with greeks and romans making easy to clean towels out of the stuff), but for most everyone asbestos is firmly rooted in industrial era.  Its not part of any of the fantasy archetypes (unless you count parodies).  I can see where he is coming from and it is NOT groundless.

That being said, dwarves are geological savants that are supposed to be technologically superior to all other races.  Plus, as has been said by many others, rock-cloth is just dwarfy as ARMOK.  The mineral is already in game, and I would prefer if it was renamed something else (dwarf wool? Rock cloth?).  If nothing else it would be a niffy (and oh so dwarfy) alternative to other textiles like plant fibers, silk, or wool.  Dwarves would then have ROCK clothing.  Seriously guys... ROCK-BASED CLOTHING XD.  It would be part of the ultimate "screw you, hippies!" charge where your army of dwarves with charcoal-forged steel armor (with all furnaces also forged by charcoal) with nether-cap made WOODEN shields covering a full suit of clothing made from ROCKS.  You'd be like aliens from another world, or demons spewing from the earth to the elves! XD

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2014, 12:55:49 am »

Just FYI, it's worth pointing out here that it's extremely doubtful that Marco Polo did even half of what is claimed, because his Travels has both curious omissions (neither chopsticks nor the Great Wall are ever mentioned)

It doesn't make sense that the Great Wall would be a thing he'd mention. The wall was built to keep the Mongol's out. At the time of Marco Polo, China was ruled by Mongols, who controlled the territory both north and south of the wall: they had no need to man the fortifications. And they certainly wouldn't have made a big deal of it to a foreign guest: "wanna come look at the remains of the fortifications the natives built to keep us out before we massacred them?" Plus, the vast bulk of what we call the Great Wall was built centuries later under the Ming Dynasty. They got the Mongols out, and damn sure wanted to make sure those guys never invaded again. It was post-Mongol Empire that the Chinese started to take their Northern border really seriously and joined up all the sections of fortification into one massive wall.

As for chopsticks, he met with the court of Kublai Khan - a Mongol, and this was only 20 years after the invasion. A quick google states that chopsticks are not part of Mongolian culture today. It's quite possible that Marco Polo didn't meet many/any Ethnic Chinese to observe them in daily life; he was hanging out with the people who had power, who were ethnic Mongols.Similarly, he's criticized for not mentioning foot binding or chinese writing. But the Mongol elite did not practice foot binding, and they had their own ethnic writing system.

And for clearly nonsensical things. You need to check if he claims he personally saw them, or was he told about them. Lots of travellers and historians repeated myths and legends. It's not like the modern day where you can scoot all over in a car or plane and check for yourself.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:20:28 am by Reelya »

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2014, 04:33:13 am »

Asbestos . . . is most commonly associated with the industrial revolution era of history . . . for most everyone is asbestos is firmly rooted in industrial era.
That's because everyone capable of having an opinion about this is from a firmly post-industrial society. If you and I were to play a word-association game, "asbestos" would provoke responses like "old buildings", "insulation", "cancer", and "face mask". But get some well-educated people from the 12th or 13th century playing, and they'd be all "impervious to fire", "comes from below the earth", "magical", and "worn by a saint". You and I only think of it in modern context because that's when it became popular. I'm not saying you're wrong, because you're not--but there's a big difference between something seeming modern and its actually being modern.

Fantasy games don't include Asbestos unless they want to be tongue-in-cheek about their fire resistant armor . . . Its not part of any of the fantasy archetypes (unless you count parodies).
I'm not familiar with asbestos being used in ANY fantasy-type setting, actually, for any reason. Can you give some examples? Either way, as long as we keep the material in line with its actual, measured, physical characteristics (as opposed to something like, say, nether-cap wood), then we can say that Dwarf Fortress is at least ONE place where asbestos is given the treatment it deserves.

I would prefer if it was renamed something else (dwarf wool? Rock cloth?).
Now, here I do disagree. We call adamantine (cotton) candy to avoid spoiling the newbies, which is well and good. We don't need them knowing that Wolverine's claws are down there, that should be a surprise--and indeed, tunneling through hundreds of vertical feet of otherwise-accurate rock and suddenly finding a spire of metallic diamonds would be a surprise. But I feel that calling asbestos "chrysotile fiber" or whatever would be doing the players a disservice, because it would be failing to inform them of the material's useful insulating properties, place in real-world geology, and that pesky little fact that working with it can slowly kill you.

It doesn't make sense that the Great Wall would be a thing [Marco Polo] would mention. . . . And they certainly wouldn't have made a big deal of it to a foreign guest . . . Plus, the vast bulk of what we call the Great Wall was built centuries later under the Ming Dynasty.
Yup. That's why I said it was doubtful--there actually is a lot of evidence in his favor, which I should have mentioned in my earlier post, like how he quite accurately describes the route, and little details like the size of the Chinese paper money, and fruits & nuts that grow on Java. But then again, he consistently blows anything Chinese well out of proportion--claiming that Kublai Khan maintained a stable of 5,000 elephants in his personal menagerie, for example--and since he must have passed the Wall at some point, you'd think he would have done the same thing there. But not a word.

And for clearly nonsensical things. You need to check if he claims he personally saw them, or was he told about them.
He wrote that all 3 Polos personally took part in a battle (as siege engineers, no less) to capture a Song Empire city, which we now know was taken by the Mongols two years before the Polos even arrived in China. All in all, the book is a lot of surprisingly accurate firsthand evidence, mixed with a lot of absolute bullshit. A large part of the blame may be assigned to the book's editor/ghostwriter, a fellow named Rusticello, who had perpetrated similar literary frauds before. Will we ever know the truth about Marco Polo? Since our main source material is essentially the 13th-century version of the Weekly World News, probably not.

[EDIT:] I meant Mongols, not Ming. Sorry, brain fart. [/EDIT]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:30:58 pm by SixOfSpades »
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2014, 10:34:29 am »

The dates seem off, but it was definitely Mongols, not Ming. The founder of the Ming didn't arise until ~30 years after Marco Polo's death.

"Passed the wall at some point"? It wasn't all that impressive pre-Ming, surviving warring states period sections of the wall just look like rocky earthen mounds, not the intricate brickwork and battlements of the later Ming version. And they had better looking walls in other places. If you go past a wall, how do you know it goes for 2000 KM left and right? All you know is there's this wall there. And the hosts (Mongols) weren't maintaining it anyway. And what was the population of the region right next to the wall.

I'm assuming the wall was the frontier, and quite a bit out from major Chinese population centers of the time. Maybe there wasn't really any reason to travel that far north. Everything to the north of the wall was barbarian country 20 years earlier anyway. Why would he have to go there? Even if he did, it wasn't guaranteed to create enough of impression to write home about. And it's stated that other westerners visited China about the same time, and none of them mentioned a wall.

China is bigger than the continental USA. It's like complaining about an explorer's account of the continental USA, and asking why he makes no mention of the Grand Canyon.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:52:06 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9