Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Request for a new type (or types) of stone  (Read 13269 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: Request for a new type (or types) of stone
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2014, 05:54:09 am »

I was talking about going too far in the name of realism

Impossible. Besides, whether or not asbestos is magma safe has nothing to do with adamantine or any other fictional materials.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2014, 12:06:53 pm »

Would you not agree that adamantine makes the game better? Adamantine does not fit within the theme of realism

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2014, 12:36:41 pm »

Would you not agree that adamantine makes the game better? Adamantine does not fit within the theme of realism

Not really, except as a gateway to hell. Steel is good enough to defeat any normal threats.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2014, 02:07:12 pm »

this is true but would you agree that it is a significant part of the game?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2014, 02:27:03 pm »

Personally, I dont give a shit about adamantane and have never bothered with it in about 4 years.

Well, Ive mined it, but its not anything I rush twards, and I mostly see it as dwarven eyecandy.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2014, 02:40:16 pm »

"At least one unrealistic thing is fun" =/= "Realism is not ever fun."

Again, what actual point are you making here? What SPECIFIC feature that has been proposed based on realism are you actually concerned is going to break the game, and why in particular do you believe that?

I don't even disagree with you, I just don't even know literally what it is you're complaining about? Asbestos at all? The magma safety thing? The name? What?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2014, 03:17:58 pm »

Personally I think there are far too many magma safe materials anyway. It is not really about realism, it just should not be that easy to stop magma, and glass should not be enough.

For old times' sake.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2014, 03:27:42 pm »

Dude, wood is enough in the form of walls or floors.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2014, 05:34:53 pm »

Even if asbestos were not to be magma-proof and dragonfire-proof it would still have a roll as it is in the dev page to have objects being potentially burnable and to direct dwarves to light something on fire. Additionally there are plans to have actual lighting using fire-based stuff like lamps.

Between accidentally directing dwarves to set the wrong thing on fire, invaders setting things on fire and lamps accidentally being knocked over I think that in the future there could be many applications for a semi- or fully-fireproof material even if it wasn't dragonfire and magma-safe.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2014, 08:14:20 pm »

Personally, I want to see anthracite. Why is that not a thing?
I mod anthracite in most of the time, as a better fuel than bituminous coal, and to have a fuel that actually is available when you only have metamorphic rocks

The asbestos syndrome idea is similar to a mod that added blacklung, that was cool.
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2014, 01:12:17 am »

My 2 cents on recent topics: Asbestos, if implemented, would behave in a manner unlike nearly any other stone. Different is usually interesting, and interesting is almost always good, so I continue to support its inclusion. I'm leaning slightly toward calling it chrysotile/"asbestos" over "amianthus": None of the other minerals are called by their archaic names (AFAIK), so why start now? The only name for it that I actively dislike is "dwarven wool"--that would be appropriate only if it were made from hair shorn from actual dwarves. As for the lung cancer, I see no problem with ignoring it for now--but it should definitely be included once Toady starts implementing the health issues from heavy-metal poisoning & all that other fun stuff. Asbestos should definitely not be magma-safe; it's simply the best non-magical heat insulator, and most non-magical fires cannot harm it, that's all.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2014, 05:02:15 am »

Dude, wood is enough in the form of walls or floors.

And it should not be enough. Burn baby burn, magma inferno. Did I mean a literal dwarven baby? You can decide.

For old times' sake.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2014, 11:54:05 am »

Point is, the argument that glass, for instance, shouldnot hold back magma, and nor should many things, is kinda invalid. However, I think that Toady will be redoing that sorta thing in future.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2014, 12:20:11 pm »

Point is, the argument that glass, for instance, shouldnot hold back magma, and nor should many things, is kinda invalid. However, I think that Toady will be redoing that sorta thing in future.

Magma is underpowered! Buff magma!

Honestly, though, it is far, far too easy to stop magma, and the magma safe list needs a full rewrite. Walls and floors should also be susceptible.

For old times' sake.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2014, 01:28:19 pm »

I think that Toady will be redoing that sorta thing in future.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9