Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Um, Urist, put that thing down. No, seriously.  (Read 3908 times)

Malkyne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Um, Urist, put that thing down. No, seriously.
« on: November 12, 2014, 01:39:20 am »

When I turn on an alert to get my Dwarves to dive into the fort, Dwarves who are working outside will quit their jobs, and show up as "No Job," while dashing for the door.  Unfortunately, "dashing" doesn't quite describe what happens, quite often.  They insist on carrying whatever was in their hands at the time of the alert being enabled.  Now that cargo weight has a significant effect on the travel speed, they frequently DRAAAAAAG to the door, and get mauled.

I seem to be able to throttle the alert a little to get them to drop things, sometimes.  Is there a better way to work around this?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Um, Urist, put that thing down. No, seriously.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 01:51:23 am »

Disable hauling on any stragglers?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 02:18:07 am »

Maybe if we let enough of them get mauled, natural selection will improve this.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 03:01:50 am »

Do they drop the item if you forbid it?
If not, you might luck out and have an invader tear/cut off their arms, freeing them up to run properly!

Malkyne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 04:26:00 am »

Disabling hauling doesn't do anything, because they're not doing a hauling task (and Dwarves won't stop one they're in the middle of, anyway).

I tried forbidding an item, but that didn't work, either.  They don't seem to care.

Usually, they drop the item, as soon as they reach their burrow.

The throttling approach seems to be the best solution.  Turn on the alert.  If you see slowpokes carrying heavy objects, turn the alert off for a moment -- just long enough for them to go, "Huh.  I have no job.  Why am I carrying this heavy thing?"  They may drop the object, at that point.  Then, you can re-enable the alert.  It's a gamble, though.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 05:05:55 am »

...Build walls and moats around the areas you want to control ?

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 06:17:56 am »

Yep, highly annoying. I have had several no-i-will-not-put-this-insanely-heavy-object-down and over-my-dead-body syndromes. Forbidding item wont help, nor dumping or things like that. It's like they forget they're carrying something. But it seems they only release their cargo when they reach the border of burrow (YAY for that at least).

Not as annoying "bug" as military refusing to fight, though.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 09:45:37 am »

Turn on alert, disable their labours, cancel their job. Find either the workshop responsible or look through the job list. Been so long since I played but if things work as before, that's how I'd get them to drop cargo.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 03:26:08 pm »

Yep, highly annoying. I have had several no-i-will-not-put-this-insanely-heavy-object-down and over-my-dead-body syndromes. Forbidding item wont help, nor dumping or things like that. It's like they forget they're carrying something. But it seems they only release their cargo when they reach the border of burrow (YAY for that at least).

Could you add a tile of burrow to a spot near the slowpoke?  When Urist reaches the tile and drops the cargo, edit the burrow to remove that tile.

This hasn't been tested because I don't do a lot of outdoor projects, so at most I'll have someone hauling a log.  (One particularly funny story about this issue was a fisherman carrying a giant sperm whale.)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 04:36:44 pm »

alert to burrow, unpause, cancel alert, they drop their thing, then quickly alert again. works like a charm
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 09:27:24 pm »

Well I recall once I sent a squad to kill the goblins, and axe lord went, beer barrel in hand.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 11:47:37 pm »

Well I recall once I sent a squad to kill the goblins, and axe lord went, beer barrel in hand.

...Sounds like an excellent bludgeoning weapon... Also, an amusing version of drunk-fighting.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 11:51:14 pm »

My marksdwarves have done this to me before.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 11:54:56 pm »

More annoying is when they have put their crossbow down somewhere over the intervening weeks since last they needed it, and they run off to some far end of the fort instead of responding to the alert. "Whoops, just gotta get my weapon, brb".
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 12:04:40 am »

Could you add a tile of burrow to a spot near the slowpoke?  When Urist reaches the tile and drops the cargo, edit the burrow to remove that tile.

This hasn't been tested because I don't do a lot of outdoor projects, so at most I'll have someone hauling a log.  (One particularly funny story about this issue was a fisherman carrying a giant sperm whale.)
That should work fine if they always drop what they're hauling the instant they're in a tile which is part of the burrow; make a circle of burrow around them, and their next move, regardless of direction, will see them drop what they're hauling.

However, if they have no job, they'll be seeking a meeting area in the burrow, won't they? You'd have to mark burrow tiles across their path, not just near them. And then delete those burrow tiles once they drop it, because otherwise the items in those tiles will be valid job targets for dwarves who will run out of safety to haul them again.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: [1] 2